Impatience

Options
Things are going well with both food and exercise, I am doing great at logging and avoiding junk food, and the weight is coming off (again). And yet I find myself incredibly impatient! I am reaching for the rolls around my middle section probably 20x a day to see if they are any smaller. So odd. I am aiming for 1-2 pounds a week and have set mini goals of 5 lbs per month (if it's faster, great). So I KNOW that it's not going to be overnight. Anyone else find themselves feeling this way? Did it fade over time?

Replies

• lintymint816
    lintymint816 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. As Tom Petty says, "The waiting is the hardest part". :) For me, there are peaks and valleys. I've been at it for about four months and sometimes I see and/or feel great progress, and other times even though I'm losing consistently, I feel as though nothing's happening.
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks, lintymint816. Good to know that I'm not the only one feeling that way!
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Something positive to think about, this "long" period of time is also giving you time to adjust to your new lifestyle. When you hit your goals you still will not be able to go back to old habits but why would you want to? Take advantage of this time to come up with an exit strategy from your cut. Going into maintenance is where many mess up.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    i'm with you.. i feel my fat and pull my shirt up to look in the mirror about 10 times a day..as if it will magically disappear! haha. I just want it gone NOW!
  • KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    oh yes...it actually depresses me how slow the process can be. trying to focus on NSV!
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think Chris Pratt said it best:

“Six months seems like a long time unless you’re looking backwards… all you have to do is just a few things everyday and remain consistent, and time will fly just as fast as it flies if you’re working hard or not. If you just cut the crap out of your diet, and if you spend an hour a day doing something physical that will make you sweat, six months will pass by, you will feel better mentally, physically, spiritually — it all is tied together.”

The time is going to pass whether you do it or not, so might as well go hard.
  • fposte2016
    fposte2016 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post. I'm doing great but I can't help focusing on how big I still am and how far I have to go. On the positive side, I'm actually looking forward to winter this year because I am committed to being near goal around then.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Well, the time is going to pass anyway, isn't it?

We all get impatient, and it's not going to change a thing.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've found it essential to have multiple goals in various areas--inches, weight, progress pics, fitness (new exercises, higher weights, new place to walk, etc), new recipes, new foods, etc. A few areas are always doing well even others not do much. There's always something to kept me excited. I've been doing this for 2+ years and 147 lost. I'll continue thus plan as I move into maintenance. If you focus only the scale, you're setting yourself up to crash!
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yep. it's really hard. I come from a mathematical family so I'm always doing calculations where I'd be at some point or another. It's hard but I'm focusing everyday on my calories but everyday I do think how long.