Options
13»

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'm trying laser for mine. Got a great Groupon deal.

Laser for which condition? And your particular condition- do steroids help or aggravate it?

I'm getting laser for my rosacea. These are IPL treatments and basically cauterize broken capillaries that cause blood to pool at the skin's surface, if my capillaries are small enough. If they aren't there are two more levels of procedures that they can perform. The third level is a saline treatment and is used on spider veins on the legs (which luckily I don't have). Meaning I'm confident that they can get rid of these one way or another. My mother used to have them on her cheeks and they didn't look bad at all, she never had to wear blush. But mine are just beside my nose, yuck.

ETA: our problems don't sound identical. I DO get dry red patches too, but these are temporary and steroids do help.

Wait - you can get rid of rosacea?! I thought it wasn't curable and nothing could be done about it! Here I am slathering on make up so I don't look like freaking pikachu everyday. I have very fair skin and burn easily so I've had this since I was 12 or 13 :(

Aww. Sounds rough. Make it in to see a good dermatologist. They should be able to help you tremendously!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My appointment finally came around. I'm 6 days of a steroid pack for an unrelated issue so my face isn't bad. A little dry an mild redness.

The plan is to try some expensive rosacea cream (300$ before insurance). And if that doesn't help then blood work.

Lupus was brought up, I just go in dumb and let them decide. I had some bw back in 2014 that was neg on ANA but didn't have issues with this face rash.

Thanks again to everyone!

What cream are you using? If you don't mind me asking.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    I'm trying laser for mine. Got a great Groupon deal.

Laser for which condition? And your particular condition- do steroids help or aggravate it?

I'm getting laser for my rosacea. These are IPL treatments and basically cauterize broken capillaries that cause blood to pool at the skin's surface, if my capillaries are small enough. If they aren't there are two more levels of procedures that they can perform. The third level is a saline treatment and is used on spider veins on the legs (which luckily I don't have). Meaning I'm confident that they can get rid of these one way or another. My mother used to have them on her cheeks and they didn't look bad at all, she never had to wear blush. But mine are just beside my nose, yuck.

ETA: our problems don't sound identical. I DO get dry red patches too, but these are temporary and steroids do help.

Wait - you can get rid of rosacea?! I thought it wasn't curable and nothing could be done about it! Here I am slathering on make up so I don't look like freaking pikachu everyday. I have very fair skin and burn easily so I've had this since I was 12 or 13 :(

I'll have to let you know how it works out. I've been to one treatment and I don't see a bit of difference. But I had laser hair removal and didn't see any difference after the first few treatments either, so I should withhold judgement.

• goldthistime
    Options
    My appointment finally came around. I'm 6 days of a steroid pack for an unrelated issue so my face isn't bad. A little dry an mild redness.

The plan is to try some expensive rosacea cream (300$ before insurance). And if that doesn't help then blood work.

Lupus was brought up, I just go in dumb and let them decide. I had some bw back in 2014 that was neg on ANA but didn't have issues with this face rash.

@Elise4270 Me too. I'd like to know what this expensive rosacea cream is if you don't mind sharing.

• Elise4270
    Options

@Elise4270 Me too. I'd like to know what this expensive rosacea cream is if you don't mind sharing.

Oh sure! It's finacea 15 % foam.

I'm still waiting on insurance to approve it. If they balk I won't bother with it. I'm not spending 300$ for a guess. I've tried the metrogel for rosacea and it's no help. Ill see my PCP for covered blood work if needed.

If i get it, I'll update. See if it's working.

Once I researched lupus, I'm thinking it's more likely lupus. But that may be panic.
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm using finacea 15%. It says gel, but it's actually a cream. It works great for me. I had to ease into it. It caused redness and sensitivity at first. Now it helps me.

Edit to add: My Rheumatologist thinks I might have Relapsing Polychondritis. The immune system attacks the cartilage in the body. I'm not ready to accept that. So, I will wait and see if it gets better or worse.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I'm using finacea 15%. It says gel, but it's actually a cream. It works great for me. I had to ease into it. It caused redness and sensitivity at first. Now it helps me.

Edit to add: My Rheumatologist thinks I might have Relapsing Polychondritis. The immune system attacks the cartilage in the body. I'm not ready to accept that. So, I will wait and see if it gets better or worse.

That's good to know that it's helped you. I was told if it caused irritation to stop using it. I may be more patient with it now.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that. Interestingly (well, to me at least), a gynecologist looking at my bw in an effort to help me get and stay pregnant some years ago said I had a marker for Lupus. Would you mind staying in touch? Here or via PM?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

That's good to know that it's helped you. I was told if it caused irritation to stop using it. I may be more patient with it now.

I stopped. Then I tried again. I might have had irritation because of combining it with other things. I got red, raw, itchy. I stopped. I tried a few times. And then eventually it was helpful. But, definitely listen to your doctor.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that. Interestingly (well, to me at least), a gynecologist looking at my bw in an effort to help me get and stay pregnant some years ago said I had a marker for Lupus. Would you mind staying in touch? Here or via PM?

I sure don't mind at all. I'm a bit down, could really use some company. Surgery 3 months ago, not making the comeback I'd hoped for- no running, still on crutches and now this annoying rash. Not back to work yet.....boo! Just makes me wanna eat pizza and ice cream, lol!
  • goldthistime
    Options

I sure don't mind at all. I'm a bit down, could really use some company. Surgery 3 months ago, not making the comeback I'd hoped for- no running, still on crutches and now this annoying rash. Not back to work yet.....boo! Just makes me wanna eat pizza and ice cream, lol!

Have you found any other way to get some cardio in? Or tried a modified weight lifting routine (like seated perhaps)? I've had injuries that really got me down and I gained weight, but recently, perhaps because I have had such a long string of injuries, (practice makes perfect!), I've found a way to stay somewhat active, mostly positive and not gain. Hoping you are back to your old self soon.

• Elise4270
    edited September 2016
    Options

Have you found any other way to get some cardio in? Or tried a modified weight lifting routine (like seated perhaps)? I've had injuries that really got me down and I gained weight, but recently, perhaps because I have had such a long string of injuries, (practice makes perfect!), I've found a way to stay somewhat active, mostly positive and not gain. Hoping you are back to your old self soon.

I'm swimming. But the pool is small with a abundance of loitering seniors. Passed on that this last week with some limiting hip pain. The skin doc mentioned my skin was dry so I may rethink swimming or be more diligent about lotions.

I'm also cleared to do light upper body weights. I've just fallen out of my grove this last week or so
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Still no luck on the script for rosacea. So I made an appointment with my PCP. Because I'm not finding rosacea causes the symptoms I'm seeing.

This morning my face is calmer. But hurts and still flakey. My face is also swollen this morning. I walked yesterday for an hour outside. No sunscreen because it whelps my skin up. I did wear a hat and sun glasses. I have found the zinc oxide sunscreen helps with the dryness and is tolerable if I don't rub aggressively. So I'll be using that from now on.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Appointment with the PCP. He thinks it rosacea and prescribed 2.5% hydrocortisone to use with the metrogel. Also pulled blood work, just in case. So happy!
  • goldthistime
    Options
    Meaning it's not lupus? I'm celebrating with you!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Meaning it's not lupus? I'm celebrating with you!

Yes thanks! He doubts it's lupus. But just in case and to calm any concerns I have- autoimmune panel ordered.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I have bad gluten issues too, but it causes hive-like bumps all over me...If I stay away, everything clears up...one teenie weenie little muffin? My arms and chest become like bumpy sandpaper, which takes weeks to clear up.
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have bad gluten issues too, but it causes hive-like bumps all over me...If I stay away, everything clears up...one teenie weenie little muffin? My arms and chest become like bumpy sandpaper, which takes weeks to clear up.

Gluten always caused me hives also. I realized it was the gluten from eating isolated wheat gluten (it's a protein source). I continued to eat small amounts. But, now I have malabsorption and intestinal scarring.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    yep, sounds like rosacea. I recommend avoiding your triggers (mine are tomatoes, chocolate, any sort of alcohol) and getting laser treatment for reducing the overall redness and pain.

P.S. IPL-Lasers