STILL EATING SWEETS

Options
2»

Replies

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I lost over 150 pounds eating ice cream sandwiches and snickers. I fit it into my calories. I needed it to stay sane. I probably couldn't have done it without something sweet to look forward to.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have discovered balance. Way to go!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Lost 91 lbs eating "the same crap" that got me to 250 lbs at 5'3".
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I fit a snickers bar into the plan today.

For me, it's ice cream. All brands and flavors of diary ice cream, except for soy. Not all at once, of course. :D
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    What @WinoGelato said
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    It really is all about portion control. Feeling deprived & miserable is not the way to go.

I had two "bad" snacks yesterday (high calories little to no nutritional value). Had I managed to have only one I would have been under my calories limit but because I had two, I was 91 calories over. I don't sweat the small stuff.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    JG1984 wrote: »
    Hello Everybody!

I have been calorie counting for 3 weeks now and I'm down 7.5 lbs. Yay! I seem to not do too well with sticking to new things when I dive in head-first. So I've still been eating some processed junk and sweets, just not as much. I try to get more fresh fruit and vegetables and really focus on staying right around my calorie goal. Anyone else have luck with eating some of the same crap they used to, but making sure they don't eat too much of it? I feel like a big part of my problem is portion control. Logging everything on MFP has kept me on track with not snacking mindlessly. I just really enjoy some ice cream in the evening and often turn to quick and easy forms of protein (like packaged salmon or deli lunch meat).

Absolutely. I still eat pizza, ice cream, mexican food, candy bars, donuts, drink beer, etc. As I've said many times, I've given up absolutely nothing - I just eat some things less/less often and other things more/more often. As long as you can handle moderation, don't find yourself going overboard, and are able to fit indulgences in within the context of an overall balanced diet, you're on the right track.

I'm an abstainer, not a moderator. I can't have one donut.... I have to have 6. ;) But I have found other sweet things that I can eat in moderation. I love Kashi bars. Sometimes, I will overeat them if I'm having one of those I don't care days, but usually I eat them in moderation. But I do abstain from my favorite sweets (Snackwell cookies, M&M's, and Butterfingers). Haven't had any of that in over a year. That's just what works for me. But I notice tons of people on this site that don't abstain and they can eat within their calorie goal. I'm just not one of those people.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I had 6 blueberry pie Oreos yesterday. Im having Pop Tarts tonight, cherry maybe?

Never heard of blueberry pie Oreos. I guess they make every kind of Oreo known to man. LOL. Way to go Nabisco.
  • suzmosb
    suzmosb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I still have a weakness for sweets, however I'm trying to find better sweets to indulge myself with.

The fiber one mint brownies are great. I also have a bowl of tootsie rolls at my desk at work for when I need a nibble. (14 pieces for 130 calories? I only need a pick-me-up, maybe 3 or 4 a day, so yes please!)
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Hello Everybody!

I have been calorie counting for 3 weeks now and I'm down 7.5 lbs. Yay! I seem to not do too well with sticking to new things when I dive in head-first. So I've still been eating some processed junk and sweets, just not as much. I try to get more fresh fruit and vegetables and really focus on staying right around my calorie goal. Anyone else have luck with eating some of the same crap they used to, but making sure they don't eat too much of it? I feel like a big part of my problem is portion control. Logging everything on MFP has kept me on track with not snacking mindlessly. I just really enjoy some ice cream in the evening and often turn to quick and easy forms of protein (like packaged salmon or deli lunch meat).

I'm 27lbs down by doing precisely this. There is no way on earth I'm going to give up beer, ice cream, and pizza. I can fit them into my calorie goals and it keeps me sane.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    My dad and sisters were just talking about how I eat like crap but have been losing weight, lol. So yes you can lose weight eating cookies and candy still, just don't eat the entire container. If I know something is coming up and it's going to be a high calorie day, I try to shave off calories off of each day either by extra workouts or eating 100-200 calories less each day. That way when the day arrives, I can eat without worry and still lose.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    Hello Everybody!

Absolutely. I still eat pizza, ice cream, mexican food, candy bars, donuts, drink beer, etc. As I've said many times, I've given up absolutely nothing - I just eat some things less/less often and other things more/more often. As long as you can handle moderation, don't find yourself going overboard, and are able to fit indulgences in within the context of an overall balanced diet, you're on the right track.

I'm an abstainer, not a moderator. I can't have one donut.... I have to have 6. ;) But I have found other sweet things that I can eat in moderation. I love Kashi bars. Sometimes, I will overeat them if I'm having one of those I don't care days, but usually I eat them in moderation. But I do abstain from my favorite sweets (Snackwell cookies, M&M's, and Butterfingers). Haven't had any of that in over a year. That's just what works for me. But I notice tons of people on this site that don't abstain and they can eat within their calorie goal. I'm just not one of those people.

Nothing wrong with that - abstaining works better for some people and you gotta do what you gotta do. :) For me, the disconnect comes when somebody insists that everybody has to completely abstain or "eat clean" or whatever, because that's simply not the truth. For some people, trying to eat in moderation will cause poor adherence and binges; for others, trying to overly restrict/abstain will result in poor adherence and binges.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    Hello Everybody!

Nothing wrong with that - abstaining works better for some people and you gotta do what you gotta do. :) For me, the disconnect comes when somebody insists that everybody has to completely abstain or "eat clean" or whatever, because that's simply not the truth. For some people, trying to eat in moderation will cause poor adherence and binges; for others, trying to overly restrict/abstain will result in poor adherence and binges.

I totally agree. I really wish I were a moderator, but I have to go with what works for me. Whew! I could go for a few Snackwell cookies. LOL.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hello Everybody!

Ya, I'm a combination abstainer/moderator as well. Upping fruit helps me want higher calorie sweets less. I save them for after dinner, in small amounts.

For anyone not familiar with the concept: http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/