Teen trying to lose weight...

So I'm about 20lbs overweight and I'm looking for a fitnes buddy. If you're interested, let me know!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    If you're under 18, you need to be looking at Sparkteens. MFP has age limits for a number of reasons.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Olivia, if that is you in your picture in your profile, two things jump out at me:

(1) you look pretty thin, so why do you want to lose 20 pounds?

(2) you look like you are at least 13 or 14. I suggest you don't focus on losing weight but allowing your body to grow as it's meant to do. Also, I suggest that you head on over to Sparkteens where you will find plenty of support for people your age. :)

Good luck!
  • oliviadurst
    oliviadurst Posts: 3 Member
    That photo was actually taken quite a while ago. Honestly my problem area is my stomach and my thighs.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    That photo was actually taken quite a while ago. Honestly my problem area is my stomach and my thighs.
    Then you don't actually need to lose weight. Try resistance training and eating a couple hundred calories below maintenance. Also, if you're under 18, spark teens is a better place for you...

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    how can any of you tell if she needs to lose weight based on that one photo? Her goals and situation might be different than yours.

She is just looking for support, not nitpicking if her decision was correct (which you don't have enough info to do).

Either support or move on, IMO.
  • LyiannaTameka
    LyiannaTameka Posts: 34 Member
    I think she's fine on this site, I first started coming on here when I was 18 & I'm 19 now. I know I'm legally allowed on this site but even when I was 15, I was considerably knowledgable and well-informed when it came to the topic of weightloss. There's no reason why she shouldn't be here or be made to feel ostracized. You guys are coming across and abrupt and quite harsh to be honest. Olivia, I think you're fine here, honestly.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    I think she's fine on this site, I first started coming on here when I was 18 & I'm 19 now. I know I'm legally allowed on this site but even when I was 15, I was considerably knowledgable and well-informed when it came to the topic of weightloss. There's no reason why she shouldn't be here or be made to feel ostracized. You guys are coming across and abrupt and quite harsh to be honest. Olivia, I think you're fine here, honestly.

1. Teenagers generally have different nutritional needs due to puberty
    2. We can't legally give weight loss advice to a minor
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    how can any of you tell if she needs to lose weight based on that one photo? Her goals and situation might be different than yours.

She is just looking for support, not nitpicking if her decision was correct (which you don't have enough info to do).

Either support or move on, IMO.

If her initial photo is still in her profile, she (1) looks thin and (2) looks under 18.

Sorry, but you don't get to tell others how to respond. ;)

Oh, you mean like you just did to me?! I have my opinion. I did not tell anyone how to respond.

However, she says she is 18, looks 18ish to me in the photo, and I have to train to call her a liar. My OPINION is that you are being pretty rude to someone that is just looking for support...
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2016
    Never mind. Not worth it.
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2016

Understood, Olivia. Thanks for the reiteration.