Frustrated, tired of counting, unsure what to focus on.

Options
This'll probably be long, so consider yourselves warned. Ha.

In March 2012, when my third baby was 6 months old I joined WW. I lost 20lbs in about 4-5 months. Then the loss stopped. FOR A YEAR. In January 2013 I did a 21 day sugar detox, and lost ten pounds in the first 2wks of that, and then nothing. By March I was feeling frustrated so I started working out again, doing 30day Shred, and did it every day religiously for 45 days. I didn't.lose.an.ounce. Or an inch!! I COULD tell a difference in stamina and strength and I know that's good, but I didn't shrink.at.all. I admit I haven't worked out since May. Went on vacation in June, fell off the diet bandwagon in June, gained a couple pounds. July 1 hit it hard again, and I just am not losing. Still. I'm not perfect at counting cals, some days I admit I don't track, but I eat very healthy foods. Tons of produce, clean meats. Nothing processed, etc. I'm just beyond frustrated!!

I'm feeling like I don't know where to go from here. I'm SICK of counting calories. I'm SICK of no matter what I do, nothing happens! I'm sick of being an apple shape and looking 5months pregnant when my baby is now a year and a half! Do I need to focus on more exercise? Do I need to cut calories more? Add more calories? Get a HR monitor? My thyroid checked?! I'm still nursing too, if that matters.... blah I'm just frustrated. TIA for any input.

Replies

• sewingdiscontent
    Options
    You need to accurately track your calories, first thing. You can't say nothing is working when you really don't know what it is you are consuming.
  • kirstenkb
    kirstenkb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, when I do track I'm in the 1200-1400 range, and I eat the same things. I have been doing it long enough to be able to guestimate pretty closely. I guess I feel okay not always tracking all the veggies and fruit, etc. But you're right, I could be more diligent about entering food every day. I'm just years into tracking and soooo bored of it.
  • simonc14
    simonc14 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    OK, firstly it sounds like you're a classic yo-yoer. Try one thing, give up. Try something else. Give up again. I think a lot of people on these boards know how you feel. There's a saying I read the other day that kind of sum s it up - 'If you're forever tired of starting over, stop quitting!.' Losing weight at a sensible, sustainable rate does take time, but if you do it right it guarantees results! Your success has to be underpinned by your diet, and tracking is the right way of properly controlling your intake. If you don't accurately track, how do you really know how many calories your consuming? I had never tracked calories until I started in January, and I've found the MFP App to be a fantastic tool, and makes it really easy to track calories. Don't try to lose too fast, just go for a sensible target weight loss (1 lb - 1.5 lbs per week) and stick with the plan. it doesn't mean you have to eat rabbit food, you can have anything you like, as long as you fit it within your macros. OK, tracking may not be the most exciting thing in the world, but it works. Over time, you make better food choices, and progressively, steadily, the weight comes off. Good luck with your journey, and feel free to friend me if you like! There's lot's of great support out there.
  • kirstenkb
    Options
    Thanks. I think you're right, I don't see results, so I get in this "oh what's the point" mindset. It's so hard to not see results when I feel like I should. Sigh.

Here's a question. If my goal is 1200. Does that mean if I workout and that takes my net to under 1200, I need to eat to make the difference back up? Or just let the net be the 800 or whatever?
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think you're right, I don't see results, so I get in this "oh what's the point" mindset. It's so hard to not see results when I feel like I should. Sigh.

Here's a question. If my goal is 1200. Does that mean if I workout and that takes my net to under 1200, I need to eat to make the difference back up? Or just let the net be the 800 or whatever?

If you work out, you should eat back your exercise calories. Otherwise, your body may think it's starving, and hold onto those calories. Some people don't believe in this theory, but personally, it seems to be working for me to eat back my exercise calories.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Whats your current height and weight and what are your goals?
  • taniiagirl
    taniiagirl Posts: 47
    Options
    Just don't get in a mind set where you think you can't. Keep going, eat clean with treats every now and again, exercise regular, keep an eye on what you consume calorie wise and you will eventually see results over and over again.
    Try and keep thinking positive, don't let a setback get you off course, tomorrow is always a new day to try again.
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a lot of the same foods this could also be a reason why nothing is happening. Your body will get used to eating the same old same old. Its the same with exercise thats why you change your program after six weeks or so. Try eating a few different things and see if that helps. Plus start doing some form of exercise, it wont just help you lose weight but its good for your health and it will make you feel good.
  • kirstenkb
    Options
    I'm 5ft, 130lbs. My goal is about 110. But shoot I've been stuck at 130 so long, 120 would feel like a dream at this point. I was 115 when I got pg with my first kid, and have never seen that again! Ha.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I eat back most of my exercise or I end up getting really tired after a few days of it. Keep on going. You will have times of plateaus but it will come off. I count all my fruit and starchy veggies but not all of the free veggies from WW. That makes the counting easier.
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try 1,500 but the 5% fat rule. Dont eat anything that has more than 5% fat per 100g. This targets hard to shift fat areas like bums and tums. Do it for a week or two and see how it goes. Good luck.
  • kirstenkb
    Options
    How do I figure out macro goals?
  • simonc14
    simonc14 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you set your goals through MFP. At 130 lbs today, you've not got a vast amount of weight to lose. People that are more overweight at the start find it easier, initially to lose quickly, but this will slow up as you get leaner. The standard method is to take your TDEE less 20%. Assuming you're sedentary, then your TDEE (for a 130 lb , 5ft female) will be about 1,650 calories per day, so 20% less would be a target of 1,350 or so. At that rate you'd be under by some 330 calories a day, or 2,300 per week, so you'd lose 0.6 lbs per week, so in six months you could be at your target! I'd recommend eating back at least 60% of any exercise calories you burn, and you may need to recalculate your TDEE along the way, as it will fall slightly as you lose weight.
  • brianalynnx
    brianalynnx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first poster! While you are doing great eating good foods and working hard, it is hard to say something isn't working until you have given it a fair shot. I would recommend strictly logging your calories (everything that enters your mouth) for 3-4 weeks and if you see no change then maybe reassess and see if there might be something else going on. Logging can be tedious but it is reliable and keeps you accountable. If you don't have a smart phone and are able to scan and log in your foods right there, my friend keeps a little post it pad in her back pocket and writes it all down and enters it at the end of the day. Whatever will be most convenient for you :) Keep up the hard work and don't give up, you are doing great!
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Besides the obvious - measuring, tracking and logging are essential habits to build into your life, search 'in place of a roadmap' in the forums here. Start helping yourself with the boat load of knowledge that is available on this site.

Learn and understand the terms: BMR, TDEE and calculate yours and re-calculate with every 5 pounds lost.

You mention you are nursing still. I can tell you right now, as a nursing mother, 1200 calories is NOT ENOUGH.

Add resistance training into your weekly exercise. That is: lift heavy stuff.

Finally, stop looking at the 'end game'. Fitness and well-being is a constant state and there is no end goal. There are milestones along the way, but as you become healthier - in mind and body - you will understand that there is always something you can do to improve your fitness and health. Little changes add up. Try not to overwhelm yourself with trying to change everything today. Look at every week, every month as an opportunity to make another little change. You will amaze yourself at what you can accomplish when you look back on it.

Good luck!