What is making me constipated? Is it protein powder?

Replies

• sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    edited August 2016
    The other answers about fiber, etc. are good, as is the suggestion to drink coffee. If you're eating a lot of fiber, though, and not getting enough water or liquids that could cause constipation also. Another thing to think of, is constipation a side effect of any medication you're taking? Iron can cause constipation if there's a lot of it in any supplements your taking. Here's a list of meds that can cause it: getconstipationrelief.com/medications-causing-constipation/ Hope this helps!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    There's generally three reasons this happens:

fat
    fiber
    water

Increase these and you should be good to go. this is, UNLESS, you have some sort of intolerance to whey in which case taking it out might help. I doubt it though, considering it's whey isolate (which removes most of the possible allergen/intolerance products like lactose).

Ok... Well I'm DEFINITELY killing it in daily fiber intake, I almost drink TOO much water. It must be the fat..... My old arch nemesis. Thanks @rainbowbow

you're welcome!

I just want to mention that if you want to get things going really fast mixing fat with something like a VERY mild laxative (think coffee). Some people have great success adding coconut oil to their morning cup o' coffee.

This is very effective for me!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Get the fats anywhere you want: butter, almond oil, coconut oil. Add them to the protein if you want.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    When I was getting most of my calories on a liquid diet (Premier Protein) I had constipation issues. I went from a once-a-day regular gal to once-every-other-day. It's just that the calorie sources are so compact, the bowels don't have enough volume to keep things moving. I agree with the fiber-water-fat solutions offered above, and suspect adding a little fat will do you the most good. It also sounds like a great idea to space out your protein drink.

For low calorie high volume try having popcorn.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Whey protein is basically made by scraping the left over milk scum on side of pasture milk vat. My nutritionalist said whey can effect digestion esp if you might be lactose intolerant. Can effect down there. Try using diff source of protein powder not whey. But honestly, unless you lifting 3 or 4 times a week heavy protein powder is waste of money. You can get adequately through your diet.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Neanbean13 wrote: »
    Whey protein is basically made by scraping the left over milk scum on side of pasture milk vat. My nutritionalist said whey can effect digestion esp if you might be lactose intolerant. Can effect down there. Try using diff source of protein powder not whey. But honestly, unless you lifting 3 or 4 times a week heavy protein powder is waste of money. You can get adequately through your diet.

i just want to mention for those who are unaware....

whey protein isolate is 99% lactose free.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    It could very well be the whey--it is very low in lactose, but lot of people have a hard time with it anyhow. You might want to open your diary if you want specific feedback on your diet. Lack of fat could be the issue, or you could be eating other constipating foods, such as hard cheeses.

Protein powder really isn't necessary in order to get to 100G of protein a day. Pre-track your meals and you should be able to put together a daily plan that meets that goal.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    There are several things that can cause constipation.

Many people say "low fat consumption". I don't argue with that, but I also don't notice it affecting my regularity.
    I say "magnesium supplement (250 mg), water consumption (64 oz or 2 qt or 2 l), insoluble fiber (33%-50%) and soluble fiber (50%-67%).

It is difficult to find authoritative data on precise distribution of insoluble vs soluble fiber in foods. I choose to use foods that proclaim their insoluble fiber content to get to 1/3 of my total fiber, then hope that the other fiber-y things I eat meet the overall ratio of my objective.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    That's some expensive protein powder. And yes more fats.

I wonder if OP is in Australia. $60-70 for a small tub (2lb) of decent protein powder is the norm. I pay $60 for Quest and optimum Nutrition protein powder. Isolates range from $70-100 :mad: A small tub lasts me less than a month, it's probably the most priciest food item i buy.
  • vanessaaorth717
    vanessaaorth717 Posts: 44 Member
    @extra_medium @Christine_72 @Chef_Barbell

Yes... I'm in Australia and it is definitely the norm for good quality protein. I saw Chemist Warehouse sell a bunch of protein /fitness products for slightly less but I haven't tried them personally.
  • vanessaaorth717
    @joelo_83 thanks! I will try some of the options suggested here, but what you say does make sense. Thank you for the info.... I guess I'll just have to accept the three/four times a week business haha.
  • vanessaaorth717
    @jgnatca thank you. I do 3x 45min weight sessions a week and my PT recommended the protein powder. I was unsure at first but I do struggle hitting 1200 calories a day sometimes and my protein intake was pretty low. I've managed to really structure my diet to hit 80-100grams of protein a day; especially my 'days off' the protein shake. And yum, popcorn is a great tip :smile:
  • vanessaaorth717
    @sfcrocker I like the way you think! I'm not on iron supps (probably should be though!) but medication is a big factor with GI motility. Nurse here, so I had thought about that one too. Thank you for the info
  • Christine_72

Yes... I'm in Australia and it is definitely the norm for good quality protein. I saw Chemist Warehouse sell a bunch of protein /fitness products for slightly less but I haven't tried them personally.

Chemist warehouse stock a couple decent brands, but most of them are whey concentrate based, which my digestive system can not handle! The cheaper ones have poor protein sources and extra un needed fillers/sugar.

I usually add flaxseed meal, chia seeds, coconut oil to my shakes which helps add extra fibre, I try to get a minimum of 30g a day.
    Someone mentioned coconut oil mixed into your first cup of coffee, this works for many people. If you want to go hardcore, add MCT oil, this has me toddling off to the loo before I've even finished my cup :lol:

Ha, i knew after seeing that pricetag that you'd have to be in Australia. Only we have such outrageous prices.

• vanessaaorth717

Chemist warehouse stock a couple decent brands, but most of them are whey concentrate based, which my digestive system can not handle! The cheaper ones have poor protein sources and extra un needed fillers/sugar.

I usually add flaxseed meal, chia seeds, coconut oil to my shakes which helps add extra fibre, I try to get a minimum of 30g a day.
    Someone mentioned coconut oil mixed into your first cup of coffee, this works for many people. If you want to go hardcore, add MCT oil, this has me toddling off to the loo before I've even finished my cup :lol:

Ha, i knew after seeing that pricetag that you'd have to be in Australia. Only we have such outrageous prices.

I KNOW the cost of food items alone here is nuts. So I just had my morning espresso with the coconut oil. Let's just say I m going to make it my morning routine from now on!!!
  • vanessaaorth717
    th2qvjay2qqi.jpg
    Winner winner..... Thank you everyone for your help ;)
  • Christine_72

I KNOW the cost of food items alone here is nuts. So I just had my morning espresso with the coconut oil. Let's just say I m going to make it my morning routine from now on!!!

Woohoo! So happy it worked for you.
    I need to go every morning, if i don't, i feel sluggish and heavy all day. I don't know how people can stand going every 2-3-4 days, I'd be doubled over in pain if i went that long :confounded:

Interesting coconut oil, I've never seen it in a liquid form.

• Christine_72
    Oh, if you like chocolate pudding type foods. I have this everyday for lunch.

36g protein powder
    15g psyllium husk powder
    10g Flaxseed meal
    150ml milk
    (fill the rest of your cup up with boiling water), i use a 500ml soup mug.
    If I'm low on fat on the day, I'll add coconut oil.

Mix it all together with a stick blender.
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,682 Member
    For coconut oil, I read that if you add it to coffee, it HAD to be virgin and unrefined cold pressed. I don't recall the rationale to this (it was a few months back that I stopped adding creamer to coffee and went black with coconut oil). Do others know if this is true and why?