Tips for overcoming emotional eating

Options
Looking for some tips in overcoming emotional eating.

The past 6 months have been pretty difficult emotionally and I'm finding it hard to stick to a plan. Spare time is almost non-existent (I look after my 2 year old mostly by myself as DH travels with work, no parents or friends nearby as we've moved interstate and I don't know anyone), and I have a couple of health issues.

At the moment, if I overeat, I just log it and start again the next day. I try not to berate myself.

Any ideas or suggestions on how I could withstand the frustration at toddler tantrums, boredom, loneliness that comes with being a SAHM so I could stay on track, would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Kudos for you for logging even if you over eat, I am not so good at that but I believe it makes a difference. My children are grown now but I have learned from my daughter who is a mom of 6 that sometimes moms need a time out. Even if its just taking 10 minutes in the bathroom to yourself when you know you toddler is safe. I would also suggest maybe trying to find some local play groups where you may meet some other parents of children of the same age so you can enjoy some adult time and not be focused on eating. I know how trying these years can be but remember your good health is the greatest gift you can give yourself and your baby. Let me know if I can support you in anyway.
  • putdownthecake1
    putdownthecake1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. Although my situation is very different. Do you play / prepare for your meals each day or make it up as to what you fancy? I do find logging food at beginning of the day when I get up helps and although u know I can edit it.. I tend to stick to what I have logged. Just a small and non complex idea. I also tend to emotionally eat and then that makes me feel worse . I also try to down a huge glass of water and keep doing so until I feel full (another simple idea you may have tried ) x Hannah
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've never understood emotional eating. What are you going to do, chew angrily? Eat someone's face? (I could maybe understand eating someone's face.)

However, it's a problem whether I understand it or not, so from what I've heard, journaling helps. Just sit down and write through the emotions instead of trying to stuff them back down your throat with food. You're a mom, start a mommy blog, or just write in a diary with a lock on it. The main issue seems to be to deal with your emotions head-on instead of trying to medicate them away with food. Even if you're just writing "I'm so bored" over and over like "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

Also, it seems like you're feeling isolated. Can you text your relatives? Skype them? Set up chats? Is your husband completely unreachable while he's gone? Can you find a daycare that will take your child for a couple of hours a week so you can have dedicated me time?
  • rosiesshire
    rosiesshire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am a huge emotional eater! I've found if I keep healthy snacks handy at my fingertips for mindless stress munching (for me it's sunflower seeds, radishes, grapes etc.) those days when I cant stop emotional eating and I binge on crap are only 1-3 days a month, which are easy to recover from if you're consistent in your exercise.
  • Cambridge727
    Cambridge727 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes I was a emotional eater what help me was healthier choices. I also stop eating at 6 pm along with working out. I found video tapes I like dancing ect. and now I m addicted to working out. If something is bothering I will work out until I'm tired
  • fatgiraffe2
    fatgiraffe2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm going through this too. I had a bereavement recently and having kept emotional eating at bay for years, this totally crept up on me and I gave in.

I'm back in a good frame of mind now, I gave all the junk food in my house to a food bank and did my weekly shop according to the healthy meals I had planned. I found that acknowledging that my eating was emotional and irrational was a good way to kick it back into check and start eating right again.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Chillipea wrote: »
    Looking for some tips in overcoming emotional eating.

The past 6 months have been pretty difficult emotionally and I'm finding it hard to stick to a plan. Spare time is almost non-existent (I look after my 2 year old mostly by myself as DH travels with work, no parents or friends nearby as we've moved interstate and I don't know anyone), and I have a couple of health issues.

At the moment, if I overeat, I just log it and start again the next day. I try not to berate myself.

Any ideas or suggestions on how I could withstand the frustration at toddler tantrums, boredom, loneliness that comes with being a SAHM so I could stay on track, would be greatly appreciated.

Make some healthy, easy to prepare meals ahead of time that you can grab or heat up, like salads or a big lentil stew with vegetables.

Can you join a child=friendly community group and get to know some people, like a church if you are religious or the YWCA? Good luck.
  • Xmingxue
    Xmingxue Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a definite emotional eater. It's a struggle to stay on track. Reminding myself that just for today I can do this helps. Evenings are my worst as my tired, bored, lazy and reaching for something to put in my mouth seems so easy and comforting yet.....My challenge to myself - I deserve success and give myself permission to move in that direction.