My glute genetics are PATHETIC...slow progress despite lifting very heavy

Options
I have been seriously upping my weights now for 2 months. 5 years ago, my glutes were a complete pancake...flat and nothing...no curve.

In the past 2 months, I've probably gained .5 inches on my glutes. I am able to hip thrust 155 lbs 2 sets of 8 before I have to start dropping the weight.

I'm doing goblet squats, deadlifts, cable pull throughs, quadrupled leg raises using cables, donkey kicks using leg press machine, reverse extensions with rounded upper back holding 25 lbs.

It's taking it's sweet old time....I know I have bad glute genetics, but it's so depressing when I see women lifting half of what I'm lifting and they have nice round glutes....ughhhh.

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    What about kettlebell swings? I do 100-200 per day, and I definitely feel it in my glutes, plus those could make a nice warmup for other lifting exercises.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Here is my glute program, some of this you already have incorporated, but figured I'd share in case you wanted ideas:

Romanian Deadlift
    3x 10/leg

1 leg squat
    3x 10/leg

Hip Thrust
    3x 15

Curtsy Lunge
    5x 12 alternating

Deadlifts
    3x 8

Wide Stance Squats
    3x 15

Hip Extensions
    3x 20

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Have you tried doing this on a bulk? i.e. TDEE + 250 calories. Sometimes a bulk is required with increased volume for those hypertrophy (size) gains.

What program are you running / what is your training history?

Edit:
    Also, do you feel you are contracting them? i.e. REALLY squeeze them at the top of your barbell hip thrust. Or else stronger muscles will take over, especially at a higher weight (such as hamstrings).

Try deep weighted step back lunges (step back, lunge, step forward again). Play with feet width position - closer feet = quad dominate, wider feet = hamstring and glutes dominate.

Lastly, regarding bulking, once you are no longer a novice, muscle needs a caloric surplus to grow - it's like building a home. Even with the work out stimulus (the construction workers), if you do not have enough calories (the bricks), your muscle will simply not grow in size (no bricks to build the home).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion for doing a bulk.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    This thread is relevant to my interests.

My glutes are really weak. My PT said I need to strengthen them up!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

I would third the suggestion to. Or even a good recomp, albeit much slower.

Out of curiosity OP, are you follow StrongCurves
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

May I ask you if the OP needs to be in a "slight surplus" to develop the glutes?

Does glute developement not happen in a deficit?

Starting to wonder if I'm spinning my wheels trying to build my glutes while dieting?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

May I ask you if the OP needs to be in a "slight surplus" to develop the glutes?

Starting to wonder if I'm spinning my wheels trying to build my glutes while dieting?

Hard to gain without a surplus.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Your body does not really like to build muscle when it is lacking incoming energy, which is how you lose weight.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

If you are a novice, you can get strength and size gains from any new stimulus. And if you have a high enough body fat, you can still make size gains on a deficit.
    The stalling occurs when you are past the beginner phase AND you have low body fat AND you are in a caloric deficit. You will not gain size, but you will keep the muscle you have and lose fat, thus having a better shape.

So no, you are not spinning your wheels if you are not in a surplus - you are maintaining muscle and cutting fat if you are in a deficit&past beginner, or you are making strength and size gains if you have extra bodyfat lying around (at a slower rate than a bulk). But sooner or later, you will have to do a recomp / slow bulk / bulk to gain size.

The OP was stalled in her hypertrophy/size goals, and I think eating a little more will get her where she wants to be.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

If you are a novice, you can get strength and size gains from any new stimulus. And if you have a high enough body fat, you can still make size gains on a deficit.
    The stalling occurs when you are past the beginner phase AND you have low body fat AND you are in a caloric deficit. You will not gain size, but you will keep the muscle you have and lose fat, thus having a better shape.

So no, you are not spinning your wheels if you are not in a surplus - you are maintaining muscle and cutting fat if you are in a deficit&past beginner, or you are making strength and size gains if you have extra bodyfat lying around (at a slower rate than a bulk). But sooner or later, you will have to do a recomp / slow bulk / bulk to gain size.

The OP was stalled in her hypertrophy/size goals, and I think eating a little more will get her where she wants to be.

Thanks!

OP you really are doing good, just give it more time.
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Do you have any interest in dancing? Tango dancers have the best glutes, because the basic step is continuous backwards lunges. Ballroom and modern dancing are good too. I do squats, deads, and tango, and have gained a lot of glute muscle.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Wow...guys, thanks so much for all your input and responses. I have been busy with my kids.

Well, I have increased my cals from 2,000 to 2,200. Should I eat more? I am also drinking 2 protein isolate shakes per day on training days.

Tomorrow I'm going to begin my hip thrust at 155 and then drop it down while increasing the reps until I hit failure. I am also going to try "around the word" lunges carrying 20 lbs. I'll do some curtsey lunges.

I can also do some deadlifts, reverse extensions, and some quadrupled donkey kicks using the leg press machine.

I've just got to keep at it and just understand that it will take time.

I am gaining muscle all over. My chest is nice and my breasts are hanging higher haha.

• serapel
    Options
    I am not following strong curves, but I have been on Bret's website almost everyday getting information.
  • serapel
    Options
    I think it's just bc I have such bad glute genetics and I'm just getting so frustrated bc I'm working so hard and want to see better results than what I am seeing.

how many cals should I be eating? Maintenance is 2,000, but the extra muscle I find I need about 2,200 just to feel satisfied.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    I think it's just bc I have such bad glute genetics and I'm just getting so frustrated bc I'm working so hard and want to see better results than what I am seeing.

how many cals should I be eating? Maintenance is 2,000, but the extra muscle I find I need about 2,200 just to feel satisfied.

I would recommend that you follow a proven routine like strongcurves. It seems like you are gathering a bunch of moves and just doing whatever. If that is what you are doing, I would suspect the results are not going to show as quickly. You don't need to do a crap-ton of moves, but make the ones you are doing good.

Also, you can eat protein, you don't need to do whey shakes at all. The only time I even think about shakes is if I am really lagging on protein.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    ^^ I agree. It actually seems like you've made tremendous progress. Keep that in mind and remember that building muscle and building a booty takes time - and often, years.
  • serapel
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »

Again, you don't have bad genetics. You have unreasonable expectations.

Thanks and your answer was confirmed on Bret's website. He said that some of his clients take a long time to gain inches in their glutes. He wrote about a client who took 1 year to gain 2 inches on her glutes.

Bret stressed to keep up the program and to keep at it and results will happen.

I am also a mom of 2 children 6 and 9; I work full-time and it's very stressful. I love being a mom, but being a middle aged working mother takes a great toll on the stress levels. That can also effect muscle growth.

The trainers at my gym and other members have been telling me that my glutes are shaped differently now...less square and more round. I've been getting high fives from the guys.

Looking at my picture, just seems so pathetic though. My bum is completely flat in the photo. I wish I could photo shop it haha