Packaging inaccuracies

Options
gothchiq
gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
So we know that the calories per serving listed on food packaging is often not correct. So we weigh our foods to calculate the calories per gram or ounce instead.

Here is my question: That same label that's not right about calories per serving, is it also not telling us the correct number of calories per ounce or gram? To get the right number when we weigh the food, we need accurate information.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    So we know that the calories per serving listed on food packaging is often not correct. So we weigh our foods to calculate the calories per gram or ounce instead.

Here is my question: That same label that's not right about calories per serving, is it also not telling us the correct number of calories per ounce or gram? To get the right number when we weigh the food, we need accurate information.
    Actually, the calories per serving weight shown on the label should be pretty accurate because companies are required to either do lab testing or use the USDA numbers for ingredients.

We weigh because, with solids, the weight isn't variable but the volume is variable. The nutritional information is based on weight but also shows volume because many don't use a food scale. Volume just isn't as precise for solids.

This is true too:
    jemhh wrote: »
    In the end, all of the numbers we throw around are estimates--bmr, tdee, calories, macros, etc. Absolute exact information is unnecessary. Analyzing outcomes and adapting behaviors is what matters in the end.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Okay, so the listed cals per weight should in fact be closer. That's good.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

They're still allowed a 20% margin of error, which you'll recognize as being more than enough to make someone fat.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

Actually, the calories per serving weight shown on the label should be pretty accurate because companies are required to either do lab testing or use the USDA numbers for ingredients.

We weigh because, with solids, the weight isn't variable but the volume is variable. The nutritional information is based on weight but also shows volume because many don't use a food scale. Volume just isn't as precise for solids.

This is true too:
    In the end, all of the numbers we throw around are estimates--bmr, tdee, calories, macros, etc. Absolute exact information is unnecessary. Analyzing outcomes and adapting behaviors is what matters in the end.

Nope. Example: a local grocery store sells pre-made take and bake pizzas. They SAY the package weighs 255 grams but it's usually about 400 something. So that 500 cal pizza turns into 900+ cals because the weight is sooooo off. I've stopped buying their pizza [Stew Leonard's if anyone is interested] for this reason. I can buy frozen pizza that has less calories or make it myself.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

They're still allowed a 20% margin of error, which you'll recognize as being more than enough to make someone fat.

This. So in addition to the package being off in weight compared to the nutrition label, the actual calories per gram can be off as well.

however, i want to mention the 20% margin can be BELOW the calories reported or ABOVE the calories reported, so atleast we've got that going for us, which is nice.

• seska422
    edited August 2016
    Options

This is true too:

Nope. Example: a local grocery store sells pre-made take and bake pizzas. They SAY the package weighs 255 grams but it's usually about 400 something. So that 500 cal pizza turns into 900+ cals because the weight is sooooo off. I've stopped buying their pizza [Stew Leonard's if anyone is interested] for this reason. I can buy frozen pizza that has less calories or make it myself.
    That actually shows the point.

I assume that the nutritional info says something like: Serving Size 1 Pizza (255 g) and 500 calories.

The 1 Pizza part is variable depending upon how the pizza is assembled. The 255 g part isn't variable because 255 grams is always 255 grams and 255 grams has 500 calories (assuming that the company did the nutritional information testing accurately to get that calorie amount).
  • Colorscheme
    Options

This is true too:

I assume that the nutritional info says something like: Serving Size 1 Pizza (255 g) and 500 calories.

The 1 Pizza part is variable depending upon how the pizza is assembled. The 255 g part isn't variable because 255 grams is always 255 grams and 255 grams has 500 calories (assuming that the company did the nutritional information testing accurately to get that calorie amount).

On the front of the package, it says weight: 255 grams. On the back it says there's four servings, each serving is 1/4 pizza, 130 calories. Meaning a whole pizza is supposed to be 520 calories. But since the package actually weighs 400 something grams, that 520 calorie pizza is usually 940 calories for the whole thing, or 235 cals per slice. Not 130 grams like the nutrition label says on the back.
  • seska422
    edited August 2016
    Options

This is true too:

On the front of the package, it says weight: 255 grams. On the back it says there's four servings, each serving is 1/4 pizza, 130 calories. Meaning a whole pizza is supposed to be 520 calories. But since the package actually weighs 400 something grams, that 520 calorie pizza is usually 940 calories for the whole thing, or 235 cals per slice. Not 130 grams like the nutrition label says on the back.
    That's why you weigh.

By weight, that pizza has about 6.3 servings if it says 255 g for 4 servings and weighs 400 g. The serving size is 63.75 grams no matter how much pizza is in the package. If you want to have close to the stated serving size shown in the nutritional info, cut the pizza into 6 slices rather than 4. The nutritional info given is for the weight of the serving size stated (63.75 g) for the pizza you are eating, even though the pizza has more pizza than expected.

I do this all the time with Lean Cuisine. The meal is usually 5-10% heavier than stated so I enter it as 1.05 or 1.1 servings or whatever depending on what that meal weighs.

Slices of bread are rarely the weight shown so I weigh them and enter the gram value rather than number of slices.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    Yeah, I weigh everything now. Including bread, tortillas, etc. I don't buy that pizza anymore, it's like $6 a pop and super inaccurate with the labeling so why bother? At Aldi I can get a 2 lb pizza for $5.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If there is 30 calories in a gram of something then it's always going to be 30 calories for a gram of that thing. It's not going to sometimes be 20 or sometimes be 40. How much the package weighs might vary, but not the actual calorie count of the weight displayed on the package.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If there is 30 calories in a gram of something then it's always going to be 30 calories for a gram of that thing. It's not going to sometimes be 20 or sometimes be 40. How much the package weighs might vary, but not the actual calorie count of the weight displayed on the package.

Again, this is incorrect. The number can vary either direction by +/-20% (or more, but 20% is supposed to be the highest allowed labeling discrepancy). This is due to the fact that, even in completely unaltered natural foods, the caloric count between two pieces of the same thing (or hell, even two halves of the same piece) are going to have variances. For example, if you were to take a single steak (or anything), and cut it perfectly into 5g pieces, each of those pieces will have different caloric values due to variances in moisture content, fat ratios, amino density, etc.
  • seska422
    edited August 2016
    Options

Again, this is incorrect. The number can vary either direction by +/-20% (or more, but 20% is supposed to be the highest allowed labeling discrepancy). This is due to the fact that, even in completely unaltered natural foods, the caloric count between two pieces of the same thing (or hell, even two halves of the same piece) are going to have variances. For example, if you were to take a single steak (or anything), and cut it perfectly into 5g pieces, each of those pieces will have different caloric values due to variances in moisture content, fat ratios, amino density, etc.
    Even so, the numbers given in the nutritional information are the only numbers we have. There's no way to do our own lab tests. All we can do is keep in mind that:
    It's all about getting as close as possible with the information available. To do that, weigh your portion rather than going by one slice or one cup or one apple or one package or one egg or one tablespoon, especially with calorie-dense foods.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Packaging nutrition can be off by 30%, legally... then the weight can be off too.

That's why a lot of people who live on packaged foods can't seem to lose weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Seems to be a logical fallacy going on that inaccuracy means calories always being understated.
    Inaccuracy works both ways and will tend to average out.

Unless you intend weighing every morsel for life then why not just accept on average it will be close enough?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Seems to be a logical fallacy going on that inaccuracy means calories always being understated.

Unless you intend weighing every morsel for life then why not just accept on average it will be close enough?

i think this is really all you can do.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Weighing at least eliminates one level of inaccuracy. If you accept a 20% error in both calories per gram and package weight if you had a package that advertised itself as 100g and 100cal, (for ease of calculation) and you recorded it as 100 calories you could be missing in two areas.
    1. If it was actually 120 g in the package and calories are right it would be 120 calories
    2. If it was actually 1.2 calories per gram and there was 100g in the package it would be 120 calories.
    3. However, if it was 1.2 calories per gram AND 120 g in the package it would 144 calories.
    Chances of the third scenario being true are somewhat rare, but they actually point out the importance of weighing packaged food. Since there is inherent room for error in any food's calorie calculation because of the points Gallowmere pointed out that are totally beyond our control it is important to control the things we can, in this case the weight of the product.
    The reality is most of the time I have weighed products I haven't found huge discrepancies. I have actually been surprised at how often it has been dead on, but there have been some times that it has been 10% or more off.
  • seska422
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've lost about 100 pounds so far eating mostly packaged foods and weighing my portions. To me, that shows that the nutritional information shown on the package for the weight of the serving size is close enough to get the job done.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I'm not saying it is based in reality, but I think it's less of a logical and more of cynical thing that causes people to assume inaccuracy on the low-side. I'm more likely to buy the item that has fewer calories if one is close to spot-on, and the other decided to exercise their 20% "margin of error" on the label.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Well in my experience, most things are really understated. Wraps, protein/energy bars, bread slices... over 90% of the time. Graze snacks are the worst, to be fair (up to 60 calories off). The couple yogurts I've weighed were under though, so I gave up and just log one.

There are some youtube videos out there of people analyzing packaged foods (mostly prepared foods) and it's sometimes almost 40% off... and never under.

In the end though, again, it really doesn't matter... If you're not losing, eat less. If you're losing too much, eat more.