Don't relax it will sneak back up on you

Options
2»

Replies

• B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am using the app "happy scale" because it shows your weight trends. (I am currently using it to lose weight) I will still be using it when I go into maintenance so that I can make sure I am staying on track. I weigh myself daily and input it into the app. It has a setting for lose, gain & maintain weight.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am with you...I logged everyday for a year...Lost 55 lbs. Damn near goal. Then stopped logging. I thought I had it all figured out. Gained 25 back fast. Guess what I am doing again? Oh, side bar...I also have about 1800 miles on my road bike this year...I was SURE that I drop pounds doing THAT...Uh no....It's ALL food control.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    That's exactly right. Never relax that vigilance!
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've realized that I have a broken feedback mechanism for telling me when to eat or stop eating, and I'm always going to have to use external tools to manage that. I like how The Hacker's Diet puts it:

"Let's try to understand why so many people fail to keep weight off after struggling to lose it. The rubber bag tells us that weight gain stems from a very simple cause: eating more food than the body burns. Feedback explains why: people prone to overweight lack a built-in feedback system to balance the calories they eat against what they burn; their appetite doesn't tell them to stop eating when enough calories have gone in.

A person with a broken feedback system will always tend to gain or lose weight. In chapter [Ref] we've seen how Oscar and Buster, victims of incorrect feedback, gain weight simply by heeding the deceptive message of appetite. When Oscar or Buster go on a diet, the diet tells them what to eat and when. And, for reasons we now understand, it works! As long as they follow the diet and don't cheat, they lose weight as rapidly as promised and arrive at the end of the diet thin, happy, and feeling in command of their weight.

Then they put the diet away and rely, once again, on their built-in feedback system to tell them how much to eat. But it's still broken! Sure enough, their weight starts to creep upward and before long all the progress of the diet is erased. People with a tendency to gain weight need continual guidance about how much to eat. Withdrawing this guidance at the end of a diet, or couching the need for ongoing feedback in a manner that implies, ``You're a fatty, and to be slim you'll have to spend the rest of your life on a diet'' is as deplorable as lending a pair of glasses to a nearsighted person for six weeks, then removing them and saying, ``OK. You're on your own.''

If your eyes don't focus, you need optical correction to live a normal life, and you need it all life long. The fix that lets you see as well as a person born with perfect vision needn't be obtrusive nor prevent you from doing anything you wish, but you have to continue using it. If you happen, instead, to lack a built-in eat watch, you shouldn't feel any more guilty about technologically overcoming that limitation than your friends do about wearing glasses. Gotta problem? Quit whining, fix it, and get on with yer' life!"

Hacker's Diet (free!): https://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/

I love this, and (as someone who has worn glasses since age 6) I'd come up with the same analogy to eyeglasses on my own. I'd love to stop logging, and maybe someday I'll be able to, but so far each time I've tried to stop even one day a week, the slow creep has begun.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yes same here, not a huge amount, but still well over the margin that I had set myself.
    So back to logging again. :|

I'm going to Italy in exactly 5 weeks for a girly weekend away, so that's my motivation to stay firmly back on track.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    A while back, NIH did a 2 year study of the 5 most popular weight loss programs, including WW. What they found was that after 2 years, more than 95% of people who had lost weight had gained it all back, or more. Losing weight isn't the hard part. Keeping the weight off is. You have to be committed and attentive. MFP is a great way to do that.

Such uplifting and confidence boosting statistics lol

I for one, am determined to be the other 5%

And, to make it more uplifting... :D
    Statistically I am the other 5%, as I did keep it off for more than 2 years. It was after 5 years that I've started sliding again. It's okay, I'll get back to it. but really, it's proof for me that this is for life.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I've realized that I have a broken feedback mechanism for telling me when to eat or stop eating, and I'm always going to have to use external tools to manage that. I like how The Hacker's Diet puts it:

"Let's try to understand why so many people fail to keep weight off after struggling to lose it. The rubber bag tells us that weight gain stems from a very simple cause: eating more food than the body burns. Feedback explains why: people prone to overweight lack a built-in feedback system to balance the calories they eat against what they burn; their appetite doesn't tell them to stop eating when enough calories have gone in.

A person with a broken feedback system will always tend to gain or lose weight. In chapter [Ref] we've seen how Oscar and Buster, victims of incorrect feedback, gain weight simply by heeding the deceptive message of appetite. When Oscar or Buster go on a diet, the diet tells them what to eat and when. And, for reasons we now understand, it works! As long as they follow the diet and don't cheat, they lose weight as rapidly as promised and arrive at the end of the diet thin, happy, and feeling in command of their weight.

Then they put the diet away and rely, once again, on their built-in feedback system to tell them how much to eat. But it's still broken! Sure enough, their weight starts to creep upward and before long all the progress of the diet is erased. People with a tendency to gain weight need continual guidance about how much to eat. Withdrawing this guidance at the end of a diet, or couching the need for ongoing feedback in a manner that implies, ``You're a fatty, and to be slim you'll have to spend the rest of your life on a diet'' is as deplorable as lending a pair of glasses to a nearsighted person for six weeks, then removing them and saying, ``OK. You're on your own.''

If your eyes don't focus, you need optical correction to live a normal life, and you need it all life long. The fix that lets you see as well as a person born with perfect vision needn't be obtrusive nor prevent you from doing anything you wish, but you have to continue using it. If you happen, instead, to lack a built-in eat watch, you shouldn't feel any more guilty about technologically overcoming that limitation than your friends do about wearing glasses. Gotta problem? Quit whining, fix it, and get on with yer' life!"

Hacker's Diet (free!): https://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/

I like this. A lot. Thanks for sharing! ^_^
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Ha--I'm going to Italy in 5 weeks as well. Can't wait!
    Yes same here, not a huge amount, but still well over the margin that I had set myself.
    So back to logging again. :|

I'm going to Italy in exactly 5 weeks for a girly weekend away, so that's my motivation to stay firmly back on track.