How Do You Practice Body Positivity?

Options
This is a subject that I've struggled with for quite some time. For a while, the pure fact that I was getting stronger was encouragement and made me feel more proud of my body than I ever could have thought possible. As time has gone on and I've continued lifting, hitting plateuas and overcoming challenges all in the same, I've gained strength that I thought would not be achievable for someone my size, yet it still isn't enough. For women and men alike, especially those who are into heavy lifting and bodybuilding, I know this is an on-going issue. Due to the fact that we have so many "competitors" that are shoved in our face on a daily basis via Instagram and other sorts of social media, it's hard to realize that your body is YOUR body...one of a kind, unique, and it will never be exactly like theirs. The hardest part may be seeing other people ready for prep, as I'm over here trying to maintain. It's a totally different concept, yet you still find yourself comparing your maintenance to their prep body. Another thing that I've found interesting is when you can squat/lift the same weight as one of these social media stars, yet your body looks absolutely different. Your muscles may not be as big or as toned, but they are as strong. Lately, I've been trying to really focus on staying positive in all aspects of life, especially with myself. I wanted to "rant" a little and say that loving your body is the first step to any transformation process. You can work out day in and day out, and still never feel "enough" for yourself, or you can realize your progress...how you can now rep 300 lb. leg presses for 3x12 when starting off you struggled with 120 lb. leg press for 3x10...how you appear strong and toned...or you could sit and pick apart everything you don't like about your body. It's all how you view yourself, how you love yourself. LEARN TO LOVE YOUR BODY and the transformation comes from within.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    <3 this... I love my body, round pregnant belly and all. :laugh:
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I have my moments. I'm not where I want to be but looking back I try to remember how far I've come. Sometimes you just gotta slap your own booty, and give yourself a wink in the mirror and say, "Look, at that sexy beast." lol
  • HeidiFuture
    HeidiFuture Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Take care of you... workout, sleep, treats. Appreciate your hard work. There are people wishing they could lift as much as you right now.

Stop looking at social media and fitness magazines. Those people are all airbrushed or there's a filter on the photo to enhance the lighting --- that isn't reality.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I don't. Body positivity for the sake of itself is a problem. Work to build something to be proud of, not "I love me for meeee" kumbayah *kitten*. If someone is putting in the work, they'll realize that they are a perpetual work in progress that only gets better with effort. Those who need "body positivity" are those who are okay with not improving. Doesn't appeal to me.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    no, always could improve.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept, I guess. To me, if I loved my body and felt good about what it can do, why would I bother changing it?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I don't. Body positivity for the sake of itself is a problem. Work to build something to be proud of, not "I love me for meeee" kumbayah *kitten*. If someone is putting in the work, they'll realize that they are a perpetual work in progress that only gets better with effort. Those who need "body positivity" are those who are okay with not improving. Doesn't appeal to me.

No, no, I understand what you're saying as well. I'm not saying to settle for less. I'm just saying to love your body through the transformation. Recognize your progress as you go instead of always being 100% focused on perfection. I'm not saying to just accept being overweight or unhealthy by any means. As someone who lifts 6 x week, eats extremely healthy and is constantly pushing to be a better version of herself, I know first hand that it's easy to look at everyone else and compare your progress to others and get down about it. Sometimes you just have to take a look in the mirror and realize how far you've come and how you are capable of pushing yourself even further.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    no, always could improve.

I didn't mean to drop the idea of improvement! You can always push yourself further, become stronger, more ripped, etc. I am just saying to love your body throughout the transformation and appreciate how far you've come instead of always comparing and feeling like you need to be better or more like the fitness people you admire.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    Take care of you... workout, sleep, treats. Appreciate your hard work. There are people wishing they could lift as much as you right now.

Stop looking at social media and fitness magazines. Those people are all airbrushed or there's a filter on the photo to enhance the lighting --- that isn't reality.

YES. Great points!
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Your lawn will be much greener if you focus on it rather than your neighbor's.

I find the body positive movement to be full of toxic people that have given up and want others to fail too. Crabs in a bucket.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Easy. I'm not anyone else. I do what I do for me. I hope others improve, and I'll help where I can, but whether or not I improve myself has no bearing on others and if others improve themselves has no bearing on me.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i'm actually quite self-body-positive since losing the extra weight I'd put on. before that happened, my whole life I stressed over stupid little things, like rolls of skin thinking they were fat, my stomach being a little bit rounded somedays, etc.... now that I've actually had a decent amount of extra weight on my frame and seen what that looked like, I no longer mistake rolls of skin for rolls of fat, or a tiny curve in my stomach as me being fat. I appreciate my body so much more now that I've had it worse! I feel good about my body now. :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

No, no, I understand what you're saying as well. I'm not saying to settle for less. I'm just saying to love your body through the transformation. Recognize your progress as you go instead of always being 100% focused on perfection. I'm not saying to just accept being overweight or unhealthy by any means. As someone who lifts 6 x week, eats extremely healthy and is constantly pushing to be a better version of herself, I know first hand that it's easy to look at everyone else and compare your progress to others and get down about it. Sometimes you just have to take a look in the mirror and realize how far you've come and how you are capable of pushing yourself even further.

Ahh, I've got you now. I would only disagree with you in one area. Comparing yourself to others can be a good benchmark for improvement, assuming you don't get ridiculous with it. For example, for me to expect myself to ever look or lift like Efferding is a fool's errand that would only end in disappointment and frustration. However, to analyze his work ethics, take little bits and pieces of his methods, figure out what has worked for him that could also work for me, can be extremely beneficial.

Essentially, don't be so introspective that you miss the good that can come from analyzing others, but don't get so hung up on them that you're pissed if you fail to measure up to their accomplishments.
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If body positivity means being complacent with where I am, then I want no part of it. I am plenty confident in myself as a person, but I also know where I've failed and where I need to improve. Not patting myself on the back for that. Letting myself get complacent and telling myself that things are fine the way they are is how I went from 120 lbs to 150 since April. Noooope. lol