What do you enjoy about early morning workouts?

Options

Replies

• stacey01575
    stacey01575 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It was a hard adjustment for me when I changed jobs and lost my 4:30-6pm exercise time, which I loved! But I switched to 30-40 minute workouts in the morning. I usually do intervals on my elliptical, and I watch DVDs to keep my brain entertained. After a while it just became habit and really felt like quality "me time". I really enjoy knowing that I've done my exercise for the day by 6:30am, too. It frees me up for spontaneous after-work social plans.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the morning because I'm usually exhausted in the evening and I can just come home and veg out without feeling guilty.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I sleep better when I work out early as opposed to later in the day. When I was working out after dinner, I had a terrible time getting a good quality sleep.

Also, I like working out on an empty stomach. Food in my belly while I'm doing intense cardio tends to make me feel ill, so mornings are just practical for me.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Abso-freaking-lutely nothing...

Early morning workouts are terrible. Plus, I tend to feel tired and sorry for myself for the rest of the day. Plus... increased hunger ALL DAY!

For each their own, but I'm an evening workout kind of guy!
  • ptitscargot
    ptitscargot Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    N-O-T-H-I-N-G
  • jcsgirl86
    jcsgirl86 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible morning person but have been working out in the mornings before work a lot in the last couple of months.

Positives for me:
    more energy during the day
    my evenings are free for other things
    it's not as hot that time of the day for the days I run (I live in South Alabama so after work runs are miserable)
    I don't have to shower twice a day

Negatives for me:
    deal with hunger much more
    my muscles are tighter in the mornings so it takes longer to warm up/loosen up
    sometimes workouts get cut short because I...just...couldn't...get...out...of...bed.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    There are a fair number of people at the gym bit they are all business. Nobody taking selfies, etc getting in the way
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Being done for the day
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've always been morning person, so it just makes more sense for me to workout in the morning.

It's also the only way to make running outdoors in the summer bearable.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Not a damned thing
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Those of you who do early morning workouts - what time do you go to bed??
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 and ride my exercise bike for an hour. It's very peaceful - my kids are sleeping and don't need anything from me. Afternoon exercise at home always gets interrupted by something. Also, I like doing cardio on an empty stomach. When I work out after I eat, I get cramps and stomach aches. And best of all, when I work out in the morning, I'm careful about what I eat the rest of the day. There's no way I'm going to spend the extra calories I worked so hard for on just junk food.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    My gym is much more empty in the morning, and the people there are there to work. There's a small group of early-morning regulars, so the gym feels more like a community in the morning.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I don't work out really early, usually around 9-10 am because my son has in home therapy when he wakes up . But I like working out in the morning knowing I can sweat up a storm, get what I have to done, then take a nice cold shower afterward.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

10pm at the latest. I try to be in bed by 9:30 and then read for 30mins
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    11. Honestly, even as a teen, I had trouble staying up late. I would sleep at 9 some days.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    It gives me an energy boost. I'm also really into seeing the goal meter on my Polar watch fill up early in the morning. If I wake up and work out, it's something I can cross off the list for the day, like I'm getting things done right off the bat. That's a good feeling that carries on through the day. It also helps to get rid of that early morning, drag into work sleepiness. A 30 minute workout, a nice warm shower, and all is right with the world, even on a Monday!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    May I ask.....do you have coffee first? lol I'm not a morning person and it sounds like it sets a nice tone for the day....but I am pretty reliant on coffee first before functioning...
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Usually 10:00-10:30 to get up at 5:15. I've never been a night owl and there are some nights that are earlier

• DrenRigs
    DrenRigs Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I get an endorphin High till mid afternoon
    I'm all pumped up and extra toned