Lady lifters

Options
So, I'm not sure if I'm just not engaging my core or if I have tight/underdeveloped muscles, poor form or what, but after my workouts I get a crampy feeling. As if I am about to start my period. I just wanted to get any input with anyone who may have an idea about what it is/how to correct it. :)

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I've never experienced that before!

I'm not sure if it's related at all, but are you hydrating and fuelling your workouts properly?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced that before, either...
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Have you had any surgical procedures around that area, like ovarian cysts removed or hysterectomy? I had similar issues, and while doing burpees with my trainer one day, it suddenly felt like someone stabbed me and I literally curled up into a ball. About a day later, I was having bleeding, so called the doctor. Turns out, I had some scar tissue from when I had my tubes tied that was just getting agitated from the movements, etc. I had to have a small procedure to have it removed, because it was more scar tissue than what is ideal, but I guess it happens kind of frequently…
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I would see my doctor if I were you. This could implicate a medical issue with some lady parts.

I never had cramps but did have bleeding while exercising several years ago. Had to have surgery to remove polyps.

Anything out of the ordinary (which cramps while lifting is) should be investigated by a physician.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to check with your doctor if this continues. I've had a feeling like that when overly fatigued which is very rare.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Have you had any surgical procedures around that area, like ovarian cysts removed or hysterectomy? I had similar issues, and while doing burpees with my trainer one day, it suddenly felt like someone stabbed me and I literally curled up into a ball. About a day later, I was having bleeding, so called the doctor. Turns out, I had some scar tissue from when I had my tubes tied that was just getting agitated from the movements, etc. I had to have a small procedure to have it removed, because it was more scar tissue than what is ideal, but I guess it happens kind of frequently…

I had a IUD that was displaced, so it could be from that... Honestly, I'd love to go to the DR. but as it stands without insurance and over qualifying for gov. assistance I can't afford to...
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    Hmmm, I've never experienced that before!

I'm not sure if it's related at all, but are you hydrating and fuelling your workouts properly?

Yes. I have bottled water, power aid, protein and carbs for every stage of my morning workout...
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

I had a IUD that was displaced, so it could be from that... Honestly, I'd love to go to the DR. but as it stands without insurance and over qualifying for gov. assistance I can't afford to...

You should be able to go to a family planning clinic and they will help you out and you will pay almost nothing. that is what I had to do whilst uninsured
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced that. Could it be a hernia?
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    I've never experienced that. Could it be a hernia?

It's very low, like period cramps. Achy through to back...
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options

Have they removed it yet?

Absolutely. I told her something was wrong, I had bleed lightly for a day etc. but she was skeptical. She had such a surprised look on her face and called her nurse to see how, "It's just hanging there!" It was so far out she couldn't put it back... :open_mouth:

Did your surgery fix it your issues?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Just another couple of thoughts.
    How is your pelvic floor and how are you bracing and breathing for your lifts?

If it is a more front radiating to the back any of the above could have an influence.

If low, centre to back, how is your digestion?
    I have had cramping twice- felt like appendicitis, wasn't. One time I needed a good poo; the other was wind. Both times were when I had just started lifting. Now I make sure I haven't eaten for a couple of hours beforehand.

If you can get it checked out.

Cheers, h.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    Just another couple of thoughts.
    How is your pelvic floor and how are you bracing and breathing for your lifts?

If it is a more front radiating to the back any of the above could have an influence.

If low, centre to back, how is your digestion?
    I have had cramping twice- felt like appendicitis, wasn't. One time I needed a good poo; the other was wind. Both times were when I had just started lifting. Now I make sure I haven't eaten for a couple of hours beforehand.

If you can get it checked out.

Cheers, h.

Not sure about pelvic floor. How can you tell? I breathe out on the push for BP, OHP, I can't recall on squats, and I'm not sure about how to brace or if I'm doing something like that naturally and doing it wrong. I used to hold my breath but I'm past that now thankfully.
    My digestion varies through the day, I think I have low acid that if I don't keep up on, will cause stomache pain...
    It's not appendicitis pain, more like a dull crampy ache. IDK, it's weird. Not air trapped pain or even dry bowel pain...I'm thinking it might have something to do with having really tight hip flexors? My illiac crest is super sore and I have lumbar lordosis as well as forward head posture (from a neck injury). It makes me sound like chiropractic hot mess. lol I actively try to correct these issues though...
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »

You should be able to go to a family planning clinic and they will help you out and you will pay almost nothing. that is what I had to do whilst uninsured

Awesome! I will check on that today! Thanks!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options

Did your surgery fix it your issues?

Sorry for confusion--I wasn't the one with the surgery for that area. That's @RoseTheWarrior. I do have an IUD and I've had it removed once for issues like that too, and now that i have my diagnosis they're hoping to remove it again once I develop an alternative birth control plan. For me, the pain that I get with exercise is similar, but not as bad as when the IUD expelled. [/quote]

Oops! Thank you for sharing your experience. I was aware of endometriosis but not adenomyosis. I will look that up. I hear you about the iud pain. Holy cow. I would still get another one though as the copper ones are the only birth control I'm able to use. Other birth control makes me bleed non-stop. Sorry if that's tmi...