New vegetarian

Options
Devil_Dawg
Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello I'm trying to live healthier while attempting to drop another 30 pounds. Thus far I've lost weight but I'm plateauing.Looking for meal plans, exercise routines, motivation and support. Oh yeah and most importantly awesome MFP friends who are committed to living a clean healthy lifestyle. :)

Replies

• Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Add me for support & visa a versa
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Here is a group of folks doing plant based: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Here is a group of folks doing plant based: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

That group is like dead I noticed
  • sunshine_janice
    sunshine_janice Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I stick with a mainly vegetarian diet. My suggestion is not to focus so much on cheese...bc it will pack on the pounds. There are numerous ways to fix veggies ..look on the net for whatever recipes you are wanting. Also, find veggies you have never ate before. I tried tamarinds for the first time years ago...BOY I am addicted, those babies are like fruit roll ups! Yummy!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight as a vegetarian, as a vegan as a carnivore, but you can also lose weight with these titles too. Count your calories, if you like cheese then eat it. If you like avocados then eat those too. Weigh and measure your food and eat what you want. Eating clean isn't a magic bullet though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 42 years - got fat, eventually became obese, and recently lost weight (63 pounds), all while vegetarian. I mostly cook from scratch using single-ingredient or simple foods at home, and eat really, really a lot of veggies & fruit. I don't normally eat protein powders, protein bars, or fake meat - I just don't find them tasty or satisfying.

I can't really suggest a meal plan, because I don't have one. I just cook & eat things I find tasty, satiating, and nutritious. While losing weight, I aimed for an absolute minimum of .6-.8g protein per pound of body weight, and now (in maintenance) target a minimum of 100g daily (at 120lb). I shoot for at least .35g/pound of fat, much of it from healthy sources. Then I let the carbs fall where they may. I was counting fruit/veg servings for a while, but found that I normally eat 9-20 (!) servings daily, so I stopped worrying about counting them.

This is not some kind of crusade-type religious thing for me; it's just how I enjoy eating. While MFP friends have occasionally accused me of "clean eating", I always deny it . . . I haven't the foggiest idea what "clean eating" actually means.

I'm stunned to hear that one can't eat cheese without packing on pounds; I've eaten it pretty much every day while losing weight, and in maintenance. But I do believe in varied protein sources - cheese is just one.