Hypoglycemia

I've always had issues with getting anxious/dizzy between meals that is only relieved by eating. However since losing weight (very rapidly to be fair - 40 pounds in about 8 months, and I only started 125 pounds - I'm only 4ft 11), I get it almost constantly. It's like I'll get this feeling of weakness/anxiety/dizziness come over me. It's causing me to gain weight because only eating eases it, sometimes completely but other times it lingers. Any ideas?? It's awful.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    yesimpson wrote: »
    If I'm reading right that you are 85lbs at 4'11 (down 40 from 125lbs) you are quite underweight, which may well be accounting for feeling tired, weak and dizzy.

I would agree with this as well. Being underweight can definitely have hormonal affects. But also, how many calories are you eating? If only food is solving your issue, there is a good chance you are undernourishing yourself.

5 lbs a month isn't too crazy. It's a daily deficit of around 583 calories. I guess my question also is, after your weight loss, did you increase calories by roughly 600 calories to go into maintenance mode? Also, you should realize when you transition to maintenance, you will gain some weight; it comes from increase glycogen capacity, increase waste in your GI system and just normal fluctuation. Weight generally stabilizes within 2 weeks.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Of course you feel awful unless you eat because you're underweight and need to gain weight.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Besides ensuring you are actually eating enough, as pointed out, do some research on how to prevent episodes - its really not hard once you get some practice (i.e. dont eat carbs alone - always pair with fat or protein, etc). And just to be certain you even have this issue, buy a cheap meter from a drug store and test your blood when you feel this way. If it is not under 70, then you are likely not really hypo and probably just dont eat enough in general.