Gained a pound

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'd recommend tracking your weight as a 7-point moving average with 2x standard deviation rather than as a scalar value. Should cancel most of the noise and give you a better idea of tour actual weightloss. Been meaning to post about that on forum but keep forgetting.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 951 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I'd recommend tracking your weight as a 7-point moving average with 2x standard deviation rather than as a scalar value.

A simple line graph has worked fine for me. While in losing mode I found that the number did not matter, only the trend.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    I'd recommend tracking your weight as a 7-point moving average with 2x standard deviation rather than as a scalar value.

A simple line graph has worked fine for me for years.

Uh...okay, but I was speaking to the person who is expressing concerns that fluctuations in their weight was causing them anxiety. But good for you.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    emmas434 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recent obtained a Fitbit charge HR just under three weeks ago, I have been trusting the calorie adjustments it has been giving me despite sometimes feeling they are too high. I lost 3 pounds last week so don't know if this is just a fluctuation, or a real gain as I typically only weigh weekly.

I have mfp set to sedentary, I'm 5' 6" and CW 173 pounds, SW 196 pounds.

I have a Fitbit Surge (which has HR) and it overestimates my calories burned by 1000-1500 per day. It's so incredibly wrong that I simply ignore that aspect of it. My TDEE is more around 2200, and I verified that by steadily losing a pound a week eating 1700 calories per day. The Surge, however, says I burn anywhere from 3200-4000 calories per day.

Some say it's accurate; some say it's not. There are enough people who say it's not to indicate you shouldn't trust it unless you verify it with other means.

Really? Are you very sedentary? I'm curious because I'm a 42 year old woman and my TDEE is also about 2200, but I am fairly active.

I have averaged 11,000 steps a day for the past 18 months, and I lift weights 3-4 times per week. My lifts are all at the early stages of the "advanced" category based on common metrics.

But, I'm only 5'7 and weigh 150 pounds at about 12% fat. I carefully weigh and measure my food, and I only lose a pound a week if I eat around 1700 calories per day. I've validated that with months upon months of data. I use a digital food scale and understand how to correctly track nutrition. Given all that, 2200 appears to be my TDEE.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recent obtained a Fitbit charge HR just under three weeks ago, I have been trusting the calorie adjustments it has been giving me despite sometimes feeling they are too high. I lost 3 pounds last week so don't know if this is just a fluctuation, or a real gain as I typically only weigh weekly.

I have a Fitbit Surge (which has HR) and it overestimates my calories burned by 1000-1500 per day. It's so incredibly wrong that I simply ignore that aspect of it. My TDEE is more around 2200, and I verified that by steadily losing a pound a week eating 1700 calories per day. The Surge, however, says I burn anywhere from 3200-4000 calories per day.

Some say it's accurate; some say it's not. There are enough people who say it's not to indicate you shouldn't trust it unless you verify it with other means.

2200 is quite low for a man, unless you're very small or very sedentary. My TDEE is around 2900 on a normal day and I'm not super active (I'm counting days where I don't hike - there my TDEE is much higher still).

Uh, how much do you weigh and how tall are you?
  • LazSommer
    Options
    Hi all,

Really? Are you very sedentary? I'm curious because I'm a 42 year old woman and my TDEE is also about 2200, but I am fairly active.

I have averaged 11,000 steps a day for the past 18 months, and I lift weights 3-4 times per week. My lifts are all at the early stages of the "advanced" category based on common metrics.

But, I'm only 5'7 and weigh 150 pounds at about 12% fat. I carefully weigh and measure my food, and I only lose a pound a week if I eat around 1700 calories per day. I've validated that with months upon months of data. I use a digital food scale and understand how to correctly track nutrition. Given all that, 2200 appears to be my TDEE.

This sounds correct.
  • HFreymuth
    HFreymuth Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I read an article that the downfall of using fitbit adjustment is that MFP doesn't subtract the calories you are alloted for being sedentary. It's the same issue with manually entering exercise calories. The calories burned may be correct but what about the 70-100 calories or so per hour that MFP allowed for just doing nothing?

I used to stick with the calories before exercise and "use" my exercise calories for occasional indulgences like wine or birthday cake or error margin in guessing how many calories in had eating out at a restaurant without nutrition data.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    HFreymuth wrote: »
    I read an article that the downfall of using fitbit adjustment is that MFP doesn't subtract the calories you are alloted for being sedentary.

doesn't allowing the negative adjustments take care of this? If you aren't where MFP thought you would be at that point in time, you will get a - adjustment.
    In the morning, I usually have 1600 calories + (-) 80 = 1520 calories allowed (for example) because I havent done anything yet to boost my fitbit adjustments...
  • HFreymuth
    HFreymuth Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't really know because I don't use fitbit but I recall reading an article about it. It definitely does not adjust for regular exercise. It's something to look into.
  • TerriMcElrath
    TerriMcElrath Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started using the Happy Scale app for just this reason. I went nuts when the scale went up a pound. After I started using the app I could see that I was still on a downward trend and my sanity was back. One pound is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But totally understand the mental trips this journey can cause.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I read an article that the downfall of using fitbit adjustment is that MFP doesn't subtract the calories you are alloted for being sedentary. It's the same issue with manually entering exercise calories. The calories burned may be correct but what about the 70-100 calories or so per hour that MFP allowed for just doing nothing?

I used to stick with the calories before exercise and "use" my exercise calories for occasional indulgences like wine or birthday cake or error margin in guessing how many calories in had eating out at a restaurant without nutrition data.

The way fitbit's adjustment works is that it sends over your total calorie burn for the day (or up until the time synced). MFP then extrapolates what the total burn will be by midnight and deducts what MFP says is your maintenance calories.

So, it does account for all that. Typically fitbit says I burn 2200 a day. It tells MFP that and MFP says, we'll her maintenance is 1800 so we'll give her an extra 400 calories today. To put it simply.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Got it. I am smaller than you (about 5'3.5" and 117 pounds), but I average about 17,000 steps a day.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I can relate totally. I worked out twice yesterday, and my Garmin said i burned 700 calories. I didnt eat over 1200 calories and i gained a pound from yesterday. It is SO frustrating. I have been stuck at this weight for months and continue to work out religiously, most days multiple times. I just want to see a loss on the scale!!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I don't really know because I don't use fitbit but I recall reading an article about it. It definitely does not adjust for regular exercise. It's something to look into.

Neither does MFP. It estimates gross calorie burn for exercise (not activity) and not net calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I can relate totally. I worked out twice yesterday, and my Garmin said i burned 700 calories. I didnt eat over 1200 calories and i gained a pound from yesterday. It is SO frustrating. I have been stuck at this weight for months and continue to work out religiously, most days multiple times. I just want to see a loss on the scale!!

If you haven't lost in months, then you'll need to take a look at the flow chart posted on the first page, and likely tighten up your logging.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Hi all,

2200 is quite low for a man, unless you're very small or very sedentary. My TDEE is around 2900 on a normal day and I'm not super active (I'm counting days where I don't hike - there my TDEE is much higher still).

5 foot 8, 185 right now. I'm decently active but certainly not very active.
  • LazSommer
    edited August 2016
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Hi all,

5 foot 8, 185 right now. I'm decently active but certainly not very active.

I'm 5'8" and sedentary TDEE is around 2100 in the higher 150s, lower 160s. Running 7 miles a week and lifting 3 times a week, I am gaining eating between 2300 and ~ 2800 on average. Other than my exercise I sit and don't break 6k steps most days without a run. I lost easily at 1800 net.

Being a higher weight/bf% for your height is going to give you a much higher tdee if you are more active. It gets harder the lower you go as a fellow manlet.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

If you haven't lost in months, then you'll need to take a look at the flow chart posted on the first page, and likely tighten up your logging.

What flow chart are you referring to? I dont see one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

What flow chart are you referring to? I dont see one.

I don't see it either, so here it is:
    tlcnlg6bx31q.jpg

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »

A simple line graph has worked fine for me for years.

Uh...okay, but I was speaking to the person who is expressing concerns that fluctuations in their weight was causing them anxiety. But good for you.

His point may have been that your solution may be unnecessarily complicated for the OP. I could add a moving average to my Excel chart but the chart alone provides a good enough visual for me as well.