Cut or bulk?

Options
Im 18 years old and im quite fat, got a lot of belly fat but i aint obese lol, i want a flat stomach.
I am eating healthy most of the time lol and i go gym 4 times a week, 2 hrs per session. For one hour i would do weight lifting (chest or back or legs) and then for the other half i do cardio (low intensity, hiit, bike)
But im not sure if i should carry on doing this, as a few people have told me to just focus on just doing cardio and no weight lifting.
So should i just do cardio (cut) or cardio and weightlifiting?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What lifting plan are you on?

You should absolutely be lifting while losing. Eat at a slight deficit, lift heavy, sprinkle in some cardio. Profit.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You should do both. Log and weigh EVERYTHING you eat and drink and look for a daily calorie deficit. Aim for as much cardio as you can but make sure you do weight training 2-3 times a week. Mixing different types/intensities of cardio will see better results as your body can get used to the same type. Weights look at heavy compounds, the big 3 ( bench, squat, deadlift) should be done weekly. As you lose weight you lose muscle and fat so the strength training helps protect your muscle's and targets more fat lose. Try not to weigh yourself to often (I weighed myself every 4 weeks). Also keep a track of your body fat % as scales can be misleading
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »
    You should do both. Log and weigh EVERYTHING you eat and drink and look for a daily calorie deficit. Aim for as much cardio as you can but make sure you do weight training 2-3 times a week. Mixing different types/intensities of cardio will see better results as your body can get used to the same type. Weights look at heavy compounds, the big 3 ( bench, squat, deadlift) should be done weekly. As you lose weight you lose muscle and fat so the strength training helps protect your muscle's and targets more fat lose. Try not to weigh yourself to often (I weighed myself every 4 weeks). Also keep a track of your body fat % as scales can be misleading

I agree with most of this! A few slight things id add/change tho. In respects to cardio, do cardio for the heart and health benefits not the weight loss, you can do the same kind of cardio and be fine.

Also in respects to weighing yourself that really depends on the person. Some like to weigh themselves less some more. Personally i weigh myself daily and use the app libra to tracking averages. Do whatever works well for you and will help you stay motivated, remembering weight can fluctuate quite a bit day to day.

Definetly keep lifting though and follow an established program to retain muscle as you lose. And remember for weight lose calorie deficit is crucial.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, do cardio if you want and eat in a caloric deficit. When you get to your goal weight, keep cutting a little bit longer as everyone is fatter than they think.