calories for strength training

Options
Do you guys count strength training againt your calories? If so where do you come up with the calories per exercise?

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I usually just use the "calisthenics" option, and input "1", as the calorie burn is pretty much negligent, not worth noting, but I like to note the amount of time doing the activity.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i stopped counting training calories and i must say im feeling better, dont know why but now i feel like im properly eating
  • hansklamp2112
    hansklamp2112 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Keep your calories and your calories burned from exercise separate. You'll thank yourself. GuitarJerry has it right by finding your maintenance, loss, or gain and use the amount to start where your counts should be.

If you start saying "Well I did this much strength training today which I think is worth 400 calories, I can eat that much more." Or, "I ran 2 miles and burned 250 calories so I could eat 250 more." This becomes a dangerous way to hit your goals because you start to trick yourself into eating more because you exercised. Rather, get a number from a TDEE and start there.

I have 16 weeks of excel sheet data on my calories per day and per week and a TDEE calculator I just used to confirm is actually not far from accurate on my stats. Of course, this isn't always the truth. Sometimes we can overestimate our exercise. Best way to do it is get a starting number, do it for a few weeks and see the results.

I think the TDEE does overestimate or the user does, so try to cut a bit lower than it to start and give yourself a head start. If you find yourself too lethargic and not enough nutrition for your workouts, increase, but I think you're going to find yourself being just fine to begin with.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nope. I add it to my activity level.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Strength training while having lots of advantages, burning many calories isn't one of them.
    I also use TDEE method which means my normal activities have been factored in already (have found my Fitbit accurate at calculating that).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I just log it under Cardio. There's an option for strength training. Doesn't give you many calories, though. I get 185 calories for 45 minutes.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Keep your calories and your calories burned from exercise separate. You'll thank yourself. GuitarJerry has it right by finding your maintenance, loss, or gain and use the amount to start where your counts should be.

If you start saying "Well I did this much strength training today which I think is worth 400 calories, I can eat that much more." Or, "I ran 2 miles and burned 250 calories so I could eat 250 more." This becomes a dangerous way to hit your goals because you start to trick yourself into eating more because you exercised. Rather, get a number from a TDEE and start there.

I have 16 weeks of excel sheet data on my calories per day and per week and a TDEE calculator I just used to confirm is actually not far from accurate on my stats. Of course, this isn't always the truth. Sometimes we can overestimate our exercise. Best way to do it is get a starting number, do it for a few weeks and see the results.

I think the TDEE does overestimate or the user does, so try to cut a bit lower than it to start and give yourself a head start. If you find yourself too lethargic and not enough nutrition for your workouts, increase, but I think you're going to find yourself being just fine to begin with.

While I now follow TDEE like others, eating exercise calories back is how MFP is set up. When I logged my exercise, I immediately halved the number of calories it said I burned, and that's what I ate back. And I lost fine.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I have a "Strength" training program on my VivoActive HR. And I connect it to a ANT+ HRM. So i do keep track of my HR during Do you even lift, bro sessions. Since my Garmin Connect Account is connected to my MyFitnessPal account I do count for the calories.

However I do not, repeat do not, count it as hard evidence. I know that it's only a guesstimate at best.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Which app is that? My vivoactive has nothing for strength.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Which app is that? My vivoactive has nothing for strength.

It's just called "Train"

6chwzuw55kd1.png

ecerwgr1xhc2.jpg

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Strength training does burn many calories but it does burn off some.

No telling exactly how much but this is what I do and it has worked for me in losing and maintaining weight:

Less than 1 hr - 0 cals burned
    1-2 hrs - 125 cals burned
    2-4 hrs - 250 cals burned

These are very conservative numbers and there is no risk of over eating using them.

BTW, I count any cardio activity separately and in addition to any weight training.