High Protein, Low Calorie Snacks? (No meat/dairy please)

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
What are some High Protein, Low Calorie Snacks? (No meat/dairy please)

I will be reducing my calories as I lose weight but still need roughly the same amount of protein. How do people with less then 1800 kcal a day do it? I'm mostly wondering how people that eat less the 1500 kcal a day get 100 g of protein without meat?

Replies

• Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Nuts and edamame to name a few.. :)
  • jvtchong
    jvtchong Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas and edamame
  • cee134
    Options
    Those ideas are good but the issue I have is they are high in calories for the protein they provide.
  • cee134
    edited August 2016
    Options
    how low in calorie? Could you do like a quest bar? Protein powder mixed with water? Anytime people tell me they want high protein, low calorie and are meat free I kinda scratch my head a bit. That's just a super hard combo.

Yes it is a very hard combo. But one that fits my diet needs. I eat alot of beans and lentils, but that is still some what high in calories.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Tofu
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Can you do like chocolate soy milk? I only add in the chocolate cause....I like chocolate and if you are going to drink a snack it might as well be satisfying. Particularly after working out. It would make it about 120 calories and 5g of protein. Then maybe pair with roasted chickpeas. 1/2 cup will bring you around 7g protein and another 135 calories?
  • bmmacintyre
    bmmacintyre Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Is PB2 dairy free?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Will you eat eggs?
  • cee134
    Options
    No, I really want to find a way to eat plant based protein with out it taking up the majority of my calories.
  • cee134
    Options
    Seitan is an option, but it's time consuming or expensive.
  • glossysweetums
    glossysweetums Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree with either the PBfit or PB2 option. There are some nice vegan protein powders out there - vega protein and greens in a good one. Tofu is a great suggestion as well.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    For a long time now, I've been having 1 scoop of protein powder with 1 cup of Soy Slender soy milk, mixed with frozen berries and a Oikos 0 Greek yogurt. Altogether, its 400 calories, 58g of protein, 31g carbs. While not a snack for me (it's my dinner), it's still a high protein - low calorie option.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is PB2 dairy free?

Yes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I know you're dismissing seitan as time-consuming, but it truly is one of the best foods to meet your requirements. Would it be possible for you to prep it in batches? It freezes well, so if you were able to make a lot you could eat it daily.

Otherwise, I would look at soy products (tofu is relatively low calorie, unsweetened soy milk has 7 grams for about 80 calories) and protein powder (the one I use right now has 25 grams of protein for 130 calories) to supplement the beans.
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    KevinPsalm23v4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Tuna Steak
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    KevinPsalm23v4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Quinoa