• Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Cheesy Oatmeal Bowl with Fried Egg

2 minPrep Time

8 minCook Time

10 minTotal Time

Ingredients

1/4 cup dry quick-cooking steel cut oats3/4 cup watersalt and pepper2 TBS (15g) shredded white cheddar cheese (add more if you like)1 tsp coconut oil, divided1/4 cup diced red peppers2 TBS finely chopped onions1 large egg

Optional Toppings

chopped walnutssliced green onionsza'atar (or any other spice blend)

Instructions

Stove Top Method: Bring water to boil. Add oatmeal, reduce heat a little and let it cook for about 3 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and stir in cheese, a small pinch of salt, and pepper.Microwave Method*: Place oats and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Line microwave dish with paper towels to catch any spills. Microwave at a high setting (but not the highest, about 8/10 power setting) at one-minute intervals for a total of 3 minutes. If you want a softer texture, continue microwaving at 30-second intervals. Give the oats a little stir between intervals. When the oatmeal is done, stir in shredded cheese, a small pinch of salt, and pepper.Heat a non-stick pan with 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until they soften. Spoon vegetables over cooked oats. Reduce heat to medium.Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon of oil and fry egg. Cook until the whites are no longer translucent and serve over oatmeal.Top with chopped walnuts, green onions, and za'atar, if you like.

Recipe Type: breakfast, gluten free

Notes

1. *Different brands of oatmeal may have different cooking times for the microwave method. Check the packaging for instructions.

2. If you want an even lighter meal, use coconut oil spray instead of coconut oil.

3. If you have any leftover cooked vegetables from the day before, just arm them up and add them to your oatmeal.

Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 264; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Monounsaturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 194mg; Sodium: 460mg; Carbohydrate: 19g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 12g
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I've recently experimented with using flavored tea as the liquid and it worked brilliantly! I now do half milk half strong tea for my oatmeal, and with my tea obsession and the hundreds of flavors I have on hand, the possibilities are endless!
  • kentbuhr
    kentbuhr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    PB2 w/ chocolate. Little truvia for sweetness. As for the post about McDonald's oatmeal, they add cream to it same as coffee
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    When cooking, I add some Madagascar vanilla paste and cinnamon.
    Then I choose a fruit. Chopped apples and some walnuts are my current fav, but also really good with dried cranberries or cherries and chopped almonds, dried blueberries, raisins...
    If I use fresh fruit I add right before eating.
    Want oatmeal that's like dessert?
    Add a scoop of low fat cool whip
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Plain Scottish oats and I add water with a touch of salt
  • zbobbsemple
    zbobbsemple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like my oatmeal creamy so I use almond/cashew milk with a little salt and cinnamon. Once cooked I add the blueberries. And if the sweetness is missing a little agave nectar never hurt or honey. I recently saw a video where to add more protein a scrambled egg was added.
  • nwhite16
    nwhite16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oats cooked in water then topped with milk blueberries & Linwoods flaxseed!
  • Kelbelb75
    Kelbelb75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used to have brown sugar and cornflakes in mine. Omg yum. I cannot portion control this atm so I stopped my consumption for a short while...miss my oatmeal..
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just buy flavour packets? I cant go without my peaches and cream flavour ☺️☺️☺️

Excellent!!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I love the flavored packets, too. The little variety packs always keep it interesting! If I want to up the protein ante, I'll add a tablespoon of almond butter. So good.

I like overnight oats with coconut milk, a little maple syrup and vanilla extract, and a tablespoon of chia seeds, maybe with a little nut butter or some chopped nuts. Lately I've been adding a tablespoon of pumpkin puree because it's pumpkin-flavored-things season! I eat it cold, right from the fridge, and I love it - but my teenage son HATES it no matter how it's prepared. If you don't like it, there's no reason to eat it.
  • brethicken
    brethicken Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This might sound a little out there....

I mix 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce with 1/2 cup raw quick oats. Drink lots of water afterward.

or

I mix 1 cup(or close) of yogurt to 1/2 cup raw quick oats. Drink lots of water afterward.

It's fast, easy, delicious, and super filling.