Calling all Hunters/Gatherers

Options

Replies

• Chrisjuvers
    Chrisjuvers Posts: 2,692 Member
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    What are your views on this? 4hzdozoqyoyk.jpeg

My neighbors hunt red foxes off of horses with their coon dogs just like this. They even wear the redcoats. It doesn't bother me but that's all they hunt. I don't want to judge them but it's a sport as well. To each their own. I would never do it.
  • nojuicejustjin
    nojuicejustjin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What are your views on this? 4hzdozoqyoyk.jpeg

My neighbors hunt red foxes off of horses with their coon dogs just like this. They even wear the redcoats. It doesn't bother me but that's all they hunt. I don't want to judge them but it's a sport as well. To each their own. I would never do it.

Does he eat them? Or just skin them for fur? I'm not at all ok with sport hunting
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    BackwoodsDarlin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone... just started on MFP, but have been huntin' and fishin' my entire life, since I was in my momma's womb LOL My dad used to be a taxidermist so it's just in my and remained in my blood. Rarely miss any local gun show. LOL and my favorite color is camo, I know, sad right. Heck, even my house is decorated in huntin' and fishin' LOL. The inside of my 4 wheel drive truck is camo and a "girls hunt too" sticker resides on my back window. LOL Fixed my dad squirrel for father's day LOL Have always processed my own meat (dad used to be a meat cutter too) so dressing out and filleting is definitely not new to me.... Oh my, the list just goes on and on....

Heck, raised everything from hedgehogs to Ostriches, Boer Goats, to Quail, dove, rabbits, fallow deer, etc... even had a bobcat when I was a little girl.

Going dove huntin' this Monday.. can't wait!

Nice to meet everyone!
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    Welcome! You definitely fit right in. Share pictures on Monday of anything you get :smiley:
  • beautifulchaos135
    beautifulchaos135 Posts: 37 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    emugfnyxl2tw.jpeg
    For everyone that says "poor animals," do your research on how that beef, chicken and turkey you buy from the grocery store is housed and then slaughtered, and compare that to a deer living freely in the woods and giving its life to feed you, dying with one single arrow. Never knowing what happened when it dies. It's more humane to hunt your own food, if it's done right.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Just got back from the range. I'll be shooting the muzzle loader this year.
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    Options
    Welcome! You definitely fit right in. Share pictures on Monday of anything you get :smiley:

Thank you... seems like a great little group here B) and I will depending on how it goes LOL
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    l
    Thank you... seems like a great little group here B) and I will depending on how it goes LOL

Lol hopefully great. I'll be heading into the Everglades Monday. Let's see what comes back with me
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    tak13517 wrote: »
    emugfnyxl2tw.jpeg
    For everyone that says "poor animals," do your research on how that beef, chicken and turkey you buy from the grocery store is housed and then slaughtered, and compare that to a deer living freely in the woods and giving its life to feed you, dying with one single arrow. Never knowing what happened when it dies. It's more humane to hunt your own food, if it's done right.

Except that unless you only eat meat you hunted yourself, and avoid all dairy, gelatin and leather for a start, then you are equally as responsible for the factory farming as other meat-eaters.

How about being veggie if it is all done for caring for animals and not just for fun? I hear a great deal of enjoyment language in these posts, and I know that, for me, that enjoyment of ending a life is part of the reason I am not a fan of hunting. It isn't a necessity, it is a hobby that involves killing:

• beautifulchaos135
    Options
    emugfnyxl2tw.jpeg

Except that unless you only eat meat you hunted yourself, and avoid all dairy, gelatin and leather for a start, then you are equally as responsible for the factory farming as other meat-eaters.

How about being veggie if it is all done for caring for animals and not just for fun? I hear a great deal of enjoyment language in these posts, and I know that, for me, that enjoyment of ending a life is part of the reason I am not a fan of hunting. It isn't a necessity, it is a hobby that involves killing:
    I don't eat anything animal related from a store. If that answers your question.

Second, I don't get enjoyment from killing an animal. I get enjoyment from waking my husband and daughter up at 3AM, to walk into the woods together, climb into a tree stand, look at and enjoy Gods Country. To have a moments peace from life. If a deer comes by, then I thank God for providing for my family that year. I thank the deer for giving his or her life. Hunting is a necessity for some. It's the only way they can survive Go read Genesis 27:3.
  • Beav73
    Beav73 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Definitely love being outdoors hunting...
  • subakwa
    Options
    emugfnyxl2tw.jpeg

I don't eat anything animal related from a store. If that answers your question.

Second, I don't get enjoyment from killing an animal. I get enjoyment from waking my husband and daughter up at 3AM, to walk into the woods together, climb into a tree stand, look at and enjoy Gods Country. To have a moments peace from life. If a deer comes by, then I thank God for providing for my family that year. I thank the deer for giving his or her life. Hunting is a necessity for some. It's the only way they can survive Go read Genesis 27:3.

Nothing animal related? No leather, no gelatin, no dairy at all? If not, then well done, but I know you are in a tiny minority of hunters in that case.

So, you only eat venison and take one deer a year?

As for the bible - that is certainly not a source of ethics or guidance for me, so I'll pass on that as a reference!
  • beautifulchaos135
    Options
    emugfnyxl2tw.jpeg

Nothing animal related? No leather, no gelatin, no dairy at all? If not, then well done, but I know you are in a tiny minority of hunters in that case.

So, you only eat venison and take one deer a year?

As for the bible - that is certainly not a source of ethics or guidance for me, so I'll pass on that as a reference!
    We take what we need and no more. I do not think I should continue talking to you. You seem very judgmental and ignorant to some things in life. Have a good day.

• subakwa
    Options
    We take what we need and no more. I do not think I should continue talking to you. You seem very judgmental and ignorant to some things in life. Have a good day.

It is sad you feel that way. My questions come from a genuine place. I grew up in and live in the country, but I choose to not eat meat and to try hard to limit my consumption of animal products for ethical reasons.

My reasoning for this is close to yours, I believe. I do not like the commercial use of animals. If I felt I could humanely take a wild animal, from a sustainable source, then I wouldn't, morally, have an issue with that. I do have an emotional issue with it, however, as the killing of a soul for me to have meat I don't need would not be something I could do, and I refuse to sub-contract that killing out. If I can't do it I have to ask myself why and thus avoid the output from that action.

• Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I don't get enjoyment from killing an animal. I get enjoyment from waking my husband and daughter up at 3AM, to walk into the woods together

This. There have been many hunting trips when my dad forgets just about everything, including his sleeping bag so he sleeps in the cold. Then sees nothing, and very little signs. Still comes home with a big smile on his face.
    There are many trips for bear and all he sees is a sow with Cubs and he'll sit there and eat his lunch and watch them play. He talks about stalking a big buck through some brush and somehow they end up face to face. Then the buck just bounces away with my dad just laughing.
    And at our home, my dad will have to stop shooting his compound bow because a doe with fawns will get in between him and his target so he yells at them to get them moving again. Same with some really nice bucks, but they won't move.
    It's not the kill. It's the time with loved ones, the time with friends. It's relaxing away from it all.
  • subakwa
    Options
    Ok, so another genuine question here - why can't all that happen with a camera instead of a bow or gun?
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Post deleted on purpose. Avoiding an argument.
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    Options
    SO excited 'bout going dove huntin' in the mornin' that now I can't sleep LOL, UGH!

Best part is that both my dad and older brother are gonna go too....... food for the freezer, but time together, priceless!
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    Haha! Yea I'm excited about my trip too. Have fun :)