Ok to start with machines at gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Machines are fine. Just know the limitations.

I mix it up so I get form and stabiliser development from free weights and strength from machines where needed.

I am using the All Pro programme modified for my age, size, strength and equipment available at my gym ( only bars are 45lbs).

Squat
    Bodybar: 18-30 lbs. form ( highest weight available)
    Leg press: to build strength to eventually jump from 30-45 lbs squat.

Bench press
    Hand weights; form, stabilisers ( my feet don't touch the ground comfortably, so progression limited)
    Chest press: helps with the progression I can't make on bench.

Bent over row
    Bodybar, hand weights: form, stabilisers.
    Seated row; can move more weight so helps with strength.

Overhead press
    Bodybar, hand weights: don't think I will ever get 45lbs over my head.

Stiff leg dead lift
    Bar: 45 lbs +20.

Bicep curl
    Body bar, hand weights.

Calf raises
    Hand weights.

No apologies for slow progression, I work at my limits within my limitations.
    Much better than being scared off, or not trying at all.

Cheers, h.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    JAllen32 wrote: »
    Feistycat wrote: »
    I've worked with a trainer 2x/wk and lost 50 lbs over two years. We do free weights, but also machines such as:
    seated hamstring curl, seated rows, leg press, deadlifts on the Smith machine, triceps pushdowns and/or triceps overheads, pull-up machine, chest press...that's quite a bit, actually :p

deadlifts on the smith machine????? :#

I really hope there is a reasonable explanation as to why someone would do that. Then again, I watched a legit meathead do deadlifts in the squat rack on Monday. We have two separate bars placed in the gym specifically for deadlifting, with the rubber weights and all. But he, and the chick he is training, did them in the squat rack. :|

Not rack pulls?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    OP: Sounds like you have a good sense of your abities. No need to rush into free weight/barbell work, as long as you see that as the next objective. BW, machines and dumbbell routines are fine for a starting point.

When you think you're strong enough to transition to free weights/barbells, start at about 10-15% below your machine weights to allow for the lack of stabilization musculature and go from there.

People here love Stronglifts to the point of excluding mention of others but there are other excellent "beginner" strength development programs. When you get to the point of thinking about doing one, check ALL of them out and choose the one that suits you best.

Good luck!