So frustrating to somehow gain a pound after 16 days of keeping within my calories.

I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks and 2 days 'cause my scale broke, and I weighed myself and have gained a pound after keeping within my calories those 16 days. It's not muscle gain because I'm not doing any exercise regiment at the moment. Regardless should have lost 2-4 lbs by now and instead gained a pound back. I'm aware of weight fluctuations so I did weigh several times over the past couple of days and yep gained a pound.

It's frustrating... been doing this for 66 days and somehow I'm backtracking on my progress. Weight has been incredibly hard for me to lose since I started steadily gaining 6 years ago.

Any tips on what I should do? Definitely planning on starting an exercise regimen; however following the calorie formula I should still be losing with or without exercise.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Did you fix your scale and then see you gained a pound or did you weigh yourself on a different scale than the one you were using before?
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    weight loss is not linear. one day you are up and one day you are down.
    Starting an exercise regime will also increase your weight as your muscles will retain water to heal.

If you are eating in a deficit, then you WILL lose - you need to be patient. As you said, you took 6 years to gain your weight... you wont lose it in 6 or 66 days...
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Are you sure your tracking is accurate? Are you weighing everything with a food scale, and not leaving anything out of your dairly?
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited August 2016
    Did you fix your scale and then see you gained a pound or did you weigh yourself on a different scale than the one you were using before?

^^^ This was my first thought. I could weigh one number on my home scale, but then be a pound or two heavier on a different scale. You should always weigh yourself on the same scale. If you have to get a new scale, just expect the numbers may be slightly off at first.
  • fwitsend1277
    fwitsend1277 Posts: 288 Member
    Your scale broke....I'd guess it's just the difference in being weighed on a different scale.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Ummm - just move on. Whether it is a new scale or a fixed scale - you probably weigh different now because of the scale. Let it go - move on.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,900 Member
    As mentioned weight loss isn't linear. You can lose a pound one week, do the SAME EXACT regimen and gain a pound. Staying consistent helps, but if it's been 2 months, your body might be going into homeostasis. Increasing physical activity, even if slight will help, but expect to gain maybe 2-5lbs initially from glycogen and water retention, which is normal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Different scale? I have a scale from the VA TeleMOVE program and it weighs me about 1.5 less than my regular scale.

Also, the menstrual cycle can cause water weight gain both at ovulation and premenstrually.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    I've definitely gone a whole month at a time bouncing back and forth the same 3 pounds. I use trendweight to keep it all in perspective.
    But it sounds to me like it's because you're on a different scale.

I register as a different weight at home, at the gym, and at my three doctors. One doctor weighs me with all my clothes and my shoes, which are different each time I go there. One time I was even carrying my handbag! And I said wait a minute, and set it down. (I don't think they really care what I weigh, they're just going through the motions).

For my sanity, I just go based on my home scale, every morning, after the bathroom and before coffee, with no clothes. It's the best I can do.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    wokemel85 wrote: »
    I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks and 2 days 'cause my scale broke, and I weighed myself and have gained a pound after keeping within my calories those 16 days. It's not muscle gain because I'm not doing any exercise regiment at the moment. Regardless should have lost 2-4 lbs by now and instead gained a pound back. I'm aware of weight fluctuations so I did weigh several times over the past couple of days and yep gained a pound.

It's frustrating... been doing this for 66 days and somehow I'm backtracking on my progress. Weight has been incredibly hard for me to lose since I started steadily gaining 6 years ago.

Any tips on what I should do? Definitely planning on starting an exercise regimen; however following the calorie formula I should still be losing with or without exercise.

16 days?
    Are you close to TOM?
    And weight loss isn't linear.
    Gains can be caused by TOM, too much sodium, too many carbs, increasing or adding exercise, dehydration, constipation....
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    calculating changes in measurements is only valid if the same measuring tool is used for all measurements.
    If your scale was broken, then you got a new one (or changed the battery?) then the before and after difference could be entirely down to scale differences.

Most hoem scales, even if they claim to measure to tenths of a pound, are not actually that accurate compared to *themselves* (ie. if you weigh the same weight multiple times you may get different results), and they're definitely not accurate compared to each other.