Struggling

Options
Hi!
Im struggling with what I should do, count calories, low carb, or whatever else is out there? I tried low carb and i struggled. I just don't know what works for me. Someone please help!

Replies

• princessmakaila
    princessmakaila Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Try just counting calories. You need to count them when eating low carb anyway so why not make it as simple as possible?

If you don't own a food scale, buy one and start using it. Weigh as much of your food as possible; even things like peanut butter and salad dressing have servings listed in grams. Log absolutely everything you're eating including the oil in the pan for frying and the piece of chocolate you grabbed from someone's candy dish. Stay close to the calorie goal MFP gives you and you should start to see success.

There's no need to cut out specific foods or only eat certain types. Drinking excess water doesn't do anything for weight loss and you don't need to buy organic or eat "clean" or "healthy" to lose weight. Eat the foods you like just make sure you're staying at your calorie goal.

Do I just buy any food scale or is there a certain one? Also how do I know how much i'm supposed to be eating?

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Enter your info into MFP - it will give you a calorie goal. Eat that amount.
  • princessmakaila
    princessmakaila Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Enter your info into MFP - it will give you a calorie goal. Eat that amount.

Ok so i did that and it says 2,030 calories a day? Do you think thats too much?
  • sunshine_janice
    sunshine_janice Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Find out what works for you. If you can not sustain long term low carb, then dont. I count calories and eat a 98% vegetarian diet...bc that works for me...I'm definitely NOT a meat eater. But you have to find what you can stick to long term and make that a life style change.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Try just counting calories. You need to count them when eating low carb anyway so why not make it as simple as possible?

If you don't own a food scale, buy one and start using it. Weigh as much of your food as possible; even things like peanut butter and salad dressing have servings listed in grams. Log absolutely everything you're eating including the oil in the pan for frying and the piece of chocolate you grabbed from someone's candy dish. Stay close to the calorie goal MFP gives you and you should start to see success.

There's no need to cut out specific foods or only eat certain types. Drinking excess water doesn't do anything for weight loss and you don't need to buy organic or eat "clean" or "healthy" to lose weight. Eat the foods you like just make sure you're staying at your calorie goal.

Do I just buy any food scale or is there a certain one? Also how do I know how much i'm supposed to be eating?

Any scale will do but one with a tare button is helpful.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Plug your information into MFP and it will give you a calorie goal for each day. Make sure your goal loss per week is no more than 1 pound per week and possibly 1/2 pound. If MFP is giving you 1200 calories as a goal and you aren't very small already you're probably trying to lose too much each week.

Any food scale will do but there are some features you will find very helpful that not all of them have. You'll want a tare button. That lets you zero out the scale when there's something already on it. This is very helpful for building a recipe or something like a salad. You can put your bowl on the scale, turn it on, add your first ingredient, tare it to zero, add your second ingredient, and so on.

Make sure it has a flat top so you can use your own bowls and plates. You don't want to have to clean it every time you use it.

You'll want one that measures in both pounds/ounces and grams. Many foods have serving sizes in grams listed on the labels, for one, and for two, there are 28 grams to the ounce whereas most scales only do tenths in ounces. Using grams lets you be more accurate for smaller amounts of foods.

Make sure it will handle at least 10 pounds. Some bowls are heavy to start with and if you're building a recipe for more than one serving you don't want to hit the max weight limit in the middle of it.

You'll want to make sure you'll be able to easily read the display when you have a larger bowl or plate on the scale.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I got my Ozeri Touch II from wal-mart.com. I mention it because it has the tare function, is flat, and claims to have an anti-bacterial coating on every surface. I've been using it for several months without ever sanitizing it and there's been no colorful stuff growing on it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Need more detail. What are you struggling with? What are you trying to accomplish? Where are you now and where do you want to be?