Macros...

Options
Can someone please provide insight to me as to how counting your macros helps body composition (obviously doing strength training)? I still have some weight to lose but just got interested in macros. I am trying not to spend too much time worrying if I don't hit my macros for the day (with the exception of protein).

I have and will always use CICO to lose weight. However, I am still curious as to how it works because I am sure as I get closer to my goal weight I will want to use macro counting (or whatever it is referred to).

TIA!!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
  • jax_006
    jax_006 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Thank you!!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    So that link is a good one. That is pretty close to how I set my macros. However, your question is about how nutrition affects your body composition.

In a very basic nutshell, protein gives your body the building blocks it needs (Amino Acids) to grow or repair muscle. If you don't get enough protein your body will start using the protein in your muscles, so you will lose muscle mass.

Fats provide an energy source, but also essential fatty acids and help with vitamin absorption. Essential fatty acids are used for things like cell membranes, brain and nervous system function, thyroid and adrenal activity, hormone production, and some other things.

Essential amino acids and fatty acids can't be made in your body and must be consumed. That is why there are minimum limits you should worry about for protein and fat.

As for carbs, there are no "essential" carbohydrates. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/5/951.2.long
    They are used mainly as energy. As long as fat and protein are around, your body can synthesize the energy components, so carbs aren't really necessary. However, you do need at least a small amount of carbs daily. Honestly, it is hard NOT to eat the minimum, so there is not much reason to worry about carbs.

So, hope that helps you understand what affects what in a very general sense.