Skinny 105 lb 5'3 - whats the correct excersice?

Options
suzyy721
suzyy721 Posts: 52 Member
Finally eating a little above 2000 calories a day. (2000 calorie diet includes 2 protein shakes a day) I have NOT started working out yet. Is this ok? I will start hitting the gym in a week God willing. ( just trying to prepare myself) my goal is 120lbs. Just need to know, where the heck do i start? What should be my routine? And do i HAVE to do cardio? I dont want to get skinnier :( plz advise. I would appreciate it.

Replies

• johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    it really depends on what you are trying to achieve. Bulk up? Lean and Mean? lol, but cardio should be added to either :) Your heart is a muscle also and needs love too!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Assuming you'd like to put on muscle as part of your weight gain, here's a non-exhaustive list regarding strength routines: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Peruse the list, find one that appeals to you, fits your goals, and you have the equipment to do. Then try it. If you don't like it, try another. The good thing about that list is that it has some bodyweight routines, so you don't necessarily have to go to the gym, either. It'd most likely be more efficient to do so, but not absolutely necessary.

No, you don't have to do cardio, but some is probably good - even a good paced walk would be better than none, and it won't burn too terribly many Calories.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Geez where is this type girl when im single?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do cardio.

Congrats on hitting your 2,000 a day target!

I was sedentary until a few years ago and what held me back was a bit of "all or nothing" thinking (I must do THIS exercise or bust) and an ignorance of the wide range of activities available.

Check out the US woman gymnasts. Talk about power in a little frame! I'm guessing you could totally rock that look.

Or take up rock climbing.

Or any other activity that strikes your fancy.

The important thing is that you are moving and getting stronger.
  • suzyy721
    Options
    evilokc wrote: »
    Geez where is this type girl when im single?

Lol hehehe :blush:
  • suzyy721
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You don't have to do cardio.

Congrats on hitting your 2,000 a day target!

I was sedentary until a few years ago and what held me back was a bit of "all or nothing" thinking (I must do THIS exercise or bust) and an ignorance of the wide range of activities available.

Check out the US woman gymnasts. Talk about power in a little frame! I'm guessing you could totally rock that look.

Or take up rock climbing.

Or any other activity that strikes your fancy.

The important thing is that you are moving and getting stronger.

Jgnatca, thank you girlfriend, appreciate the support and all of your kind and helpful words xoxo
  • suzyy721
    Options
    it really depends on what you are trying to achieve. Bulk up? Lean and Mean? lol, but cardio should be added to either :) Your heart is a muscle also and needs love too!

I dunno, im just really skinny, period. Need some meat on my bones. Need weight! :) taking your advice on the cardio. How romantic :) thanks johnny boy!
  • suzyy721
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Assuming you'd like to put on muscle as part of your weight gain, here's a non-exhaustive list regarding strength routines: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Peruse the list, find one that appeals to you, fits your goals, and you have the equipment to do. Then try it. If you don't like it, try another. The good thing about that list is that it has some bodyweight routines, so you don't necessarily have to go to the gym, either. It'd most likely be more efficient to do so, but not absolutely necessary.

No, you don't have to do cardio, but some is probably good - even a good paced walk would be better than none, and it won't burn too terribly many Calories.

Thank you Troberts! Really appreciate you taking the time to write . Your advice is awesome! :)
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear you want to gain instead of lose!
  • jimb0200
    jimb0200 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind if your lifting weights, which you should be doing with your diet and weight gain goals, once you put muscle on your body will begin to burn more calories. You will need to up your healthy calories as time goes on. If I remember right 1lb of muscle will raise your RMR 50 cals. So if your working out and put on 5lbs of muscle your 2000 cal diet is now equivalent to 1750 cal. That's how these body builders get away with 5000 cal diets.