How much is to much?

Options
I'm currently trying to lose the last few pounds to my target.Ive been running and going to the gym almost every day for last month or so.Im now feeling pretty burned out.What do others class as "to much"?How often do u take a day off?When I've had a rest day(not many)I feel it's a terrible waste.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When you're feeling burnt out then it's too much...

Rest is an important part of any training schedule, it's when your muscles repair and grow so it is never a waste.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What's the rush? Your almost there. Let your body get the rest it needs, take a day off here and there.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Don't feel that a rest day is waste, it's time your body needs to recover and it is crucial! You don't have to rest by sitting on a sofa all day, you can take a nice long walk or do some stretching, yoga or other form of low impact restorative exercise (swimming leisurely is also great). But do give your body the time to rezst and recover, it really is important.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Personally, I only do a rest day about once every two weeks, for now. Once I get to the point where my CNS is capable of pushing my muscles to actual damage, I'll consider resting more often.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You can train daily (or almost daily) if you are sensible with your intensity and programming.
    But if you are feeling burned out then you need to change your routine, vary the intensity or simply take a break.

Rest days don't have to be inactive days, go for a walk, have a gentle swim etc.... Do something different.
    Recovery and repair isn't a waste - it's setting you up to improve.

"Too much" for me is a fairly high level. I accept that at the beginning of the week I'm going to be suffering fatigue and some soreness but I taper down to the weekend to ensure I'm fresh for a weekend cycling.
    If my performance declines it's too much, if my resting HR starts to become elevated it's too much, if I start to feel rundown it's too much.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    When you feel burned out, it's time to take a few days out.

Rest - seriously.
    Rest and recovery is when the body makes the changes!
  • Matt71Fleming
    Matt71Fleming Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ta for the replies.Took much of the advice and rested up.Not bothered logging or exercising or the last two days.I feel much better and ready to go again.Thanks for the advice I needed to hear it from others who do a bit of exercise I suppose.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's worth thinking about how you're structuring your training and what you're hoping to gain from it.

As an observation, when I started to lose weight I picked up running again as a way to do that. I fairly quickly got to the point where the point was the running, and the weight loss was secondary.

What I do now is structure my training around running performance with cycling and resistance training in to complement that. By training at different distances and intensities there is less risk of injury. My less active days still involve about 20 miles of cycling.