I just want to be healthy

Options
I'm 5'4 and 35 years old. I only wiegh 95 lbs. I have always have had trouble gaining wieght. I really healthy besides my wieght. My doctors say eat more. I know eat pasta but still not meeting the calories I need. Any suggestion how to gain wieght?? Anyone want to be friends let me know

Replies

• ThatTJS
    ThatTJS Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you're only concerned about getting more cals in then I've found drinking them is much easier if you have a small appetite.

I wouldn't bother with things like 'weight-gain' shakes though. What would be your normal diet? Where can you logically eat more and how 'clean' do you want/need your meals to be?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • jjr8115
    jjr8115 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter 2 or 3 times a day
  • bigguyreed
    bigguyreed Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey JJR8115
    You can add me if you want. Do the Drs. tell you that you are under weight or do you just want to put on weight? You are at an age where your system will be slowing down and you may start putting on weight without trying to put it on. I'm saying this from experience one yr. I was 10lbs. over the next yr. up 30lbs. My weight doubled ever yr. after that. Now I'm trying to lose all that extra weight to be healthy. Believe me when I say I wish I had never let that 1st 10lbs on my body.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    jjr8115 wrote: »
    I eat peanut butter 2 or 3 times a day

Is that all you are eating then, because the calories add up pretty quickly with peanut butter. It's hard to say what would help you without seeing your diet, and what you are actually eating. If you are having a salad with no dressing, and no protien for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and just peanut butter for a snack three times a day, that's not a lot of calories.

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods and don't forget good fats.

Olive oil and other good oils(salad dressings, cooking with), avocado, nuts, cheese, wholefat milk and yoghurts, eggs, nut butters. Don't eat diet products.

Determine your calorie allowance to gain weight and plan your meals and snacks in advance accordingly.

Build up calories over the coming weeks if you find increasing all in one go. Add 100 calories per day this week, next week add an additional 100-150 per day (now a total 200 to 250cals) and so on, until full calorie allowance is reached.

Determine when you find it 'easiest' to eat the most calories..if its morning...have a much bigger breakfast and snack for instance.

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Eat some ice cream.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Need to eat more and if you have a hard time reaching calories goals, eat calorie dense foods. There is plenty of healthy stuff on the list..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    are you using a food scale to weigh your foods, or are you just assuming that you are eating "a lot"...?
  • jjr8115
    Options
    Ndj 1979 I measure out my good but not with a food scale
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Ndj 1979 I measure out my good but not with a food scale

that is probably your problem. I would suggest getting a food scale as you are probably overestimating your calorie counts and not consuming as much as you think you are.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The best way to control your calories is to start counting and increasing them.

If you're a lifetime under-eater simply trying to eat more won't cut it. you'll quickly revert back to old habits of skipping meals.

You need a calorie goal to reach every day.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ThatTJS wrote: »
    If you're only concerned about getting more cals in then I've found drinking them is much easier if you have a small appetite.

I wouldn't bother with things like 'weight-gain' shakes though. What would be your normal diet? Where can you logically eat more and how 'clean' do you want/need your meals to be?

I agree with this.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    bigguyreed wrote: »
    Hey JJR8115
    You can add me if you want. Do the Drs. tell you that you are under weight or do you just want to put on weight? You are at an age where your system will be slowing down and you may start putting on weight without trying to put it on. I'm saying this from experience one yr. I was 10lbs. over the next yr. up 30lbs. My weight doubled ever yr. after that. Now I'm trying to lose all that extra weight to be healthy. Believe me when I say I wish I had never let that 1st 10lbs on my body.

I do not think we should be discouraging someone who weighs 95lbs at 5'4" to not gain weight because age will add it.

OP, please don't listen to this post. Listen to all those people who suggested possibly drinking calories and weighing and measuring out your foods.

Try and incorporate some high calorie foods like nuts, avocados, dairy (if you like it), They won't fill you up as much as pasta and you should be able to eat more. Add sauces, cheese and/or butter to your veggies. I can't find it, but there is a really good post on here about high calorie foods that are good for gaining. Good Luck.
  • jjr8115
    Options
    Bigguyred my doctor's day I'm underweight and age has nothing to do with it my family are all skinny they are what you could call healthy skinny
  • ThatTJS
    ThatTJS Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bigguyred my doctor's day I'm underweight and age has nothing to do with it my family are all skinny they are what you could call healthy skinny

All the advice given is now here for you in this thread by various members.

I'd suggest sticking up your meals from today on here and let us simply critique. It won't take long and will be the most effective method to us helping.