Squats and discomfort in shoulder area?

Options
2»

Replies

• Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What someone already stated...alan thrall and/or mark rippetoe for form. If something is hurting, something is wrong and it usually comes back to user error.

Good luck!!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    conpapp wrote: »
    Sounds from the description that the bar may be higher on your back, close to your neck. SL5x5 calls for low bar squats. What you want to do is get your hands as close to together as possible and push your elbows back. This creates a shelf between the scapula and traps for the bar to rest on. There are many videos on youtube that will show good squat form. Check out Mark Rippetoe and Allan Thral.

I second this. He's awesome...
    eta- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo

This is an awesome video. My only question is about locking the knees at the top of the move. I was always under the impression that this was a big no no. People who know more than me please educate me.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i actually like how the bar feels on my back. take a few minutes to get into squat position and get your upper body tight, and flex up those muscles to hold it the bar in place.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    If you've never done barbell squats, the honest answer is you just have to suck it up. Even if your bar position is correct, it will feel uncomfortable when you first start. Eventually it feels natural even when you have 300+ lbs.

Agreed. Also, play around with your hand positioning. For me, I'm not super comfortable with a super narrow grip, but I know a wide grip can compromise stability; so I work to put my arms in a position that's a nice in between and I've become used to it. Also, paying attention to how you set up to unrack can be helpful to. Ex: is the bar at a proper height? Also, pay attention to if you set up with an evenly on the bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtPN-ftmxG8

This video also helped me develop a strong setup. It may help you too :].
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    FWIW, doing squats w/a bar plus heavy weights across your back is simply uncomfortable. All the "adjustment" in bar, arm and/or shoulder position in the world will NOT make it much better, especially when you're squatting over 200 lbs (90kg).

There are only 3 things that can make it "feel" better:

1) a thick dense foam pad which cushions the bar but also raises the center of gravity
    which in turn may cause balance problems and does not change the point of pressure on the neck/shoulders;

2) the Manta Ray, which is a hard plastic accessory that provides a stable platform on which the bar can rest on your shoulders and that distributes the pressure of the weight of the bar more widely across the shoulders; and

3) a fully padded safety squat yoke bar which transfers the weight slightly forward but makes lifting really heavy weight about as comfortable as possible.

I've got all 3.

The foam pad is the cheapest and will deform and degrade quickly under heavy weight. All of them except the thickest and most expensive are junk and if you get a really thick one you run into center of gravity and balance issues.

The safety squat yoke bar is the BEST but it costs around $400 plus shipping and tax, where applicable. I've got the one made by eliteFTS that I got for only $240 off of Craigslist. I do all off my squatting w/it, unless I'm too lazy to lift the 60# 8 ft long monster out of the bar rack.

In that case, I just use the Manta Ray which only costs about $45. Forget about the foam pads which cost as much or more. It's absolutely the best and most affordable thing you can buy to make your squatting more comfortable and it small and light enough to throw into your bag when you go to the gym. No need to use the scuzzy gross beat up pads often found there.

BUT don't be decieved!!! DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, buy any of the cheap, soft foam knock offs of the Manta Ray sold on eBay, Amazon and elsewhete on the Net.

Only buy the TM'd blue hard plastic Manta Ray. It's the hard plastic that distributes the weight better across the shoulders and makes the product so durable.

Happy squatting! :)

I squat in the mid 200s for sets with absolutely nothing but the bar on my back and feel absolutely zero discomfort, I've never used a pad and never will. Draw your arms back and squeeze your shoulder blades together and rest the bar on your traps. Which EVERYONE has just a varying levels of development. You do not want that bar to have the ability to roll inside of a pad with over 200lbs on your back with your hands hooked into it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I squat in the mid 200s for sets with absolutely nothing but the bar on my back and feel absolutely zero discomfort, I've never used a pad and never will.

Congratulations, Jesse. You're blessed. :)

FWIW, I've used a bare bar doing squats over 200# and, regardless of how/where I place the bar, it's NOT comfortable to me. So, if there are "aids" that can make it feel more comfortable, why not use them?

There's this theme in weight lifting that denigrates the use of anything that "helps" you to lift, like straps, gloves, knee wraps, belts, etc. The message is that you're not considered a "man" unless you can lift the weight entirely unaided.

I personally think this POV is pure BS. However, the accessories I've mentioned DO NOT help anyone to squat more weight, they just make it more comfortable to do so and IMO there's no reason why anyone who wants to feel more comfortable doing squats shouldn't use them if they help.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    BigJes37 wrote: »
    Or don't do squats. There are many exercises that work legs also.

jxq73.gif

(all in fun, don't take it personal).
  • jessef593
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I squat in the mid 200s for sets with absolutely nothing but the bar on my back and feel absolutely zero discomfort, I've never used a pad and never will.

Congratulations, Jesse. You're blessed. :)

FWIW, I've used a bare bar doing squats over 200# and, regardless of how/where I place the bar, it's NOT comfortable to me. So, if there are "aids" that can make it feel more comfortable, why not use them?

There's this theme in weight lifting that denigrates the use of anything that "helps" you to lift, like straps, gloves, knee wraps, belts, etc. The message is that you're not considered a "man" unless you can lift the weight entirely unaided.

I personally think this POV is pure BS. However, the accessories I've mentioned DO NOT help anyone to squat more weight, they just make it more comfortable to do so and IMO there's no reason why anyone who wants to feel more comfortable doing squats shouldn't use them if they help.

I wholeheartedly support belts and knee wraps which provide support and stability. I just know out of every powerlifter/body builder I've trained with not a single one of them finds discomfort when squatting especially at the higher weights, purely because they refined their form.
  • jessef593
    Options
    And fyi. I was merely trying to provide and example so there's no need for talking down.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I agree with the traps - squeeze 'em together and rest the bar there. My lifting coach busted me on that after my first session - I had a nice little bruise from the bar. Also, check the hands. Make sure they're even on the bar, and really squeeze the bar.

Any chance there's a safety bar at your gym? We've been working with the safety bar on stability squats for the last couple of weeks and its really helped me improve form.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    If you've never done barbell squats, the honest answer is you just have to suck it up. Even if your bar position is correct, it will feel uncomfortable when you first start. Eventually it feels natural even when you have 300+ lbs.

Agreed. Also, play around with your hand positioning. For me, I'm not super comfortable with a super narrow grip, but I know a wide grip can compromise stability; so I work to put my arms in a position that's a nice in between and I've become used to it. Also, paying attention to how you set up to unrack can be helpful to. Ex: is the bar at a proper height? Also, pay attention to if you set up with an evenly on the bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtPN-ftmxG8

This video also helped me develop a strong setup. It may help you too :].

I second this. I can't go TOO narrow on low bar squats. At one point I felt like I had to "peel" myself from under the bar, and it just wasn't comfortable at all. I've widened my grip a bit, and can still make my "shelf".