Confession: I can be a really judgmental C-U-Next-Tuesday sometimes. But I'm Learning.

Options
So, I have this colleague who is absolutely beautiful. AND skinny. She is also a sweetheart, as close to the "unicorn" as I have ever seen.

She also has this amazing style. I can't decide if I have a lady crush on her or I'm just green with envy. Either way, its not important.

So I KNOW she's always been skinny. I've seen pics of her from the past etc. She is also not an athlete or anything.

My arsehole assumption being she is one of those mythical creatures who is able to be "normal" and still gets to be skinny. She doesn't have to watch everything she eats, count calories or anything like that. The world just falls at her feet and she eats whatever she wants!

Get to the point you say? Sorry, OK.

I am sitting next to her in a lunch meeting, munching on a salad I brought from home, not wanting to blow my day with the pizza being served and she is of course eating pizza cause screw her right?!

She is on her phone, something familiar catches my eye, and low and behold, she is counting her calories on MFP!

I have an epiphany. SHE HAS TO WATCH HER WEIGHT TOO! She's just better at it than I am apparently. Which is OK. That's fine. The point is, it isn't that she just does whatever she wants whenever she wants. If she did that, she'd be 250 lbs too, so it made me feel like the world was a little more fair this day.

My point is, people who are healthy weights aren't that way by accident. They ALSO have to be deliberate in their habits, or they would be in trouble too, just like me.
Made me feel less alone I guess.

That's all, have a great day!

Replies

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    haha thanks.

I liked reading this
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I guess ive always been skinny and so has my family. We were brought up to 'watch our weight '. This involved moderation but including regular treats, not blow-outs. Also observations which might be jumping on a scale once a week or judging by clothes fit.
    We were taught not to worry about a few pounds gained but to address it soon so it didnt escalate. This meant cutting back on high cal foods and drink for a week or two - no big deal.

We also moved at most opportunities.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Is her name Stacy, too?
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Lol Cun+ word play cracked me up!!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    And, you know, some "naturally slim" people do just eat whatever they want, whenever they want to. They just happen to not want to eat excessively.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I guess ive always been skinny and so has my family. We were brought up to 'watch our weight '. This involved moderation but including regular treats, not blow-outs. Also observations which might be jumping on a scale once a week or judging by clothes fit.
    We were taught not to worry about a few pounds gained but to address it soon so it didnt escalate. This meant cutting back on high cal foods and drink for a week or two - no big deal.

Yeah, we didn't do that in my family. I didn't get fat until college because I was a jock and moved so much I never gained weight, but I ate way more than I needed to. Once I wasn't moving literally ALL the time. I got fat. FAST.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Same here. I've never really been overweight but I do have to watch what I eat for the most part. When I lost sight of that last year I gained, but it's back off now. I'm what some would call skinny I guess, but with my body type when I gain it goes straight to my stomach and I end up apple shaped so even 10 lbs can make me miserable.

I'm glad you had this epiphany, OP. It's easy to look at someone and assume you know their struggles or whatever. 9 times out of 10 there are things you don't know which means your assumptions are usually wrong.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    And, you know, some "naturally slim" people do just eat whatever they want, whenever they want to. They just happen to not want to eat excessively.

That's a fair point for sure. Not everyone is a food addict like me.