Energy Drinks

Options
Long story short, I'm hooked on caffeine, (typically Rockstars). What are the thoughts and facts on these things and what are some of my fellow caffeine addicts using as a suitable substitute? I have one pretty much every morning, as I'm not a coffee drinker, on top of my pre-workout supplement (in the evening) 4-5 times a week.

Replies

• SleepyEquus
    SleepyEquus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I myself drink the Double Shot w Protein that Starbucks created. I figure once in a while will not hurt and 20g of protein is an added bonus :). I use to drink DND butter pecan and Monster drinks...then I MFP looked it up and dropped the habit quickly due to all the sugar and not so good additives!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    cut down.
    if you feel like you need to.
    i primarily use black coffee i brew as my caffiene vehicle
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a coffee drinker either until I realized I could make good tasting coffee without sugar or milk. It's also the cheapest way to drink caffeine. Plus most energy drinks only have as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. It may be worth looking into. It's also very healthy.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee. I like the caffeine. I see no reason to stop. Is there a reason you want to give up caffeine, or is it just the sugary drink you are looking to replace?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Medical sources consider up to 400 mg of caffeine a day safe for most people. If you are goin over thst may want to back off

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Honestly if it's the caffeine you need like me and don't drink coffee go buy a bottle of caffeine pills. It's very cheap way to get your boost. Drink with water that's the healthier way or I drink true lemon packets with my water. Any other questions hit me up.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Meh. I drink two cups of coffee in the morning, and a Monster Ultra Zero (zero calories) every afternoon. Unless you have medical issues, I don't see a problem.

I do give up caffeine every January just to prove I can! :p
  • SisypheanWorkout
    SisypheanWorkout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    All good thoughts. I typically won't have one with more than 15 calories per can. So many people tell me they're "poison" though I'm not sure why. I've tried coffee several different ways and I just can't get it in me. I do think I'll give the caffeine pills a shot though, since water is always the cleanest option.

Thanks
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    fatguy3382 wrote: »
    All good thoughts. I typically won't have one with more than 15 calories per can. So many people tell me they're "poison" though I'm not sure why. I've tried coffee several different ways and I just can't get it in me. I do think I'll give the caffeine pills a shot though, since water is always the cleanest option.

Thanks

People often feel the need to demonize things so they either have something to blame if they use it, or they can feel superior if they don't. As long as the caffeine doesn't make you jittery, you haven't been advised to avoid caffeine by your doctor, and it doesn't keep you up when you should be sleeping, there's no problem IMHO.
  • SisypheanWorkout
    Options
    People often feel the need to demonize things so they either have something to blame if they use it, or they can feel superior if they don't. As long as the caffeine doesn't make you jittery, you haven't been advised to avoid caffeine by your doctor, and it doesn't keep you up when you should be sleeping, there's no problem IMHO.[/quote]

That's kind of how I felt too, but I'm no medical expert. I like (and some mornings and work outs need) the little bump it gives. I've not had any negative side effects when I've remained within a healthy dose.
  • BigJes37
    Options
    The less ingredients the better all around. I'm no expert on energy drinks but unless you've researche'd all those ingredients in them you really dont know. I like to just find a healthier option I like to drink and for the boost take the caffeine when needed ;)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    People often feel the need to demonize things so they either have something to blame if they use it, or they can feel superior if they don't. As long as the caffeine doesn't make you jittery, you haven't been advised to avoid caffeine by your doctor, and it doesn't keep you up when you should be sleeping, there's no problem IMHO.

That's kind of how I felt too, but I'm no medical expert. I like (and some mornings and work outs need) the little bump it gives. I've not had any negative side effects when I've remained within a healthy dose.[/quote]

If you think you need a little bump, why not fix the root cause (poor diet/sleep, health issues) instead of looking at a supplement?
  • SisypheanWorkout
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

That's kind of how I felt too, but I'm no medical expert. I like (and some mornings and work outs need) the little bump it gives. I've not had any negative side effects when I've remained within a healthy dose.

If you think you need a little bump, why not fix the root cause (poor diet/sleep, health issues) instead of looking at a supplement?[/quote]

Well I'm working on the diet and health (mainly weight) issues. As far as sleep goes, there just aren't enough hours in the day for the things I have to do. But you are right. It's just a matter of making it happen.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Well I'm working on the diet and health (mainly weight) issues. As far as sleep goes, there just aren't enough hours in the day for the things I have to do. But you are right. It's just a matter of making it happen.

Meh. If you were relying on caffeine all day to stay awake or something, that would be one thing. But one caffeinated drink every morning is a pretty minor vice. Not all of us have found ways to make real life conform to our ideal sleep patterns!
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I like Hydrive Energy Water but can't find them in my area. I've ordered them through their website.
    http://hydriveenergy.com/
    Don't order through Amazon unless you want to pay nearly double. I like the black cherry best and they're a refreshing caffeinated 30 calorie per about 15.5 oz bottle.
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i take a b100 complex everyday that REALLY helps with my energy, but i'm also pretty much a self-confessed coffee addict. green and black teas are great for caffeine as well. every once in awhile i'll drink an energy drink, but then it's always a sugar free one (i like rockstar, too)
  • quiksylver296
    edited August 2016
    Options
    BigJes37 wrote: »
    The less ingredients the better all around. I'm no expert on energy drinks but unless you've researche'd all those ingredients in them you really dont know. I like to just find a healthier option I like to drink and for the boost take the caffeine when needed ;)

I did research every ingredient in my daily Monster - guess what? They are all vitamins and naturally occurring flavors or preservatives... Yay, me!
  • BigJes37
    Options
    Nice try. Artificial sweeter? Naturally occurring flavors? Something man made? Recreated?
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    BigJes37 wrote: »
    Nice try. Artificial sweeter? Naturally occurring flavors? Something man made? Recreated?

I looked every one of them up. Feel free to do so yourself. And I'm not a-scared of aspertame...
  • BigJes37
    Options
    Was only trying to say there's healthier alternatives the to trick your body into thinking there's a sugar source coming that the body would naturally turn into energy hence a crash possibly. When doing this often enough your body learns not to use real sugar properly therefore creating less energy effect whichin turn you here people saying they don't work for me anymore or they have to consume alot of them. Also I've seen the effects of that much caffeine and b vitamins in one shot on an ultra sound of the heart after drinking one of these from a teenager.