Lean protein - chicken and turkey

Exactly what kind of chicken and/or turkey is really healthy for u? I checked out the deli near me yesterday and got nutritional information and everything was LOADED with sodium for just a 2oz serving. Is it gonna be that way for most packaged meats and cold cuts? I know the grilled chicken I buy is healthy but I'm looking for a lunch for work I can have accessible each day. Preferably something cold.

Any options?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    vOv buy a whole roasted chicken and put it in the fridge, or just buy a whole chicken, roast it yourself, then put it in the fridge. You now have cold chicken without a bunch of salt.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    I usually buy a package of boneless skinless chicken thighs and slow cook them on Sunday, about 3 1/2 hrs on low. Then I shred them and use those all week for wraps and such.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    The fear of salt and fat is really getting traction :s
    Cook from single food ingredients, use a wide variety of ingredients, and add as much salt as you need yourself.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    @reineke1992 At Sprouts, no chicken or turkey is ever loaded with sodium. At Wal-Mart, you can find, and it's $4.50/lb, all-natural chicken and turkey. The chicken is offered as chicken breasts, both thin cut and individually shrink-wrapped. The turkey is offered as a tray of cutlets. The chicken is in a green package and the turkey is in a blue package. This morning I grilled a 146 gram turkey cutlet, using half of it in my breakfast burrito and that half had 54 mg of sodium. Once you get the non-injected poultry, prep your lunches and freeze them. Take the frozen lunch to work, nuke it, enjoy.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Ask what brands have slightly less sodium than others. Boars Head used to be one.
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Keep your potassium and sodium ratio 1 for 1 or higher on potassium
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Exactly what kind of chicken and/or turkey is really healthy for u? I checked out the deli near me yesterday and got nutritional information and everything was LOADED with sodium for just a 2oz serving. Is it gonna be that way for most packaged meats and cold cuts? I know the grilled chicken I buy is healthy but I'm looking for a lunch for work I can have accessible each day. Preferably something cold.

Any options?

I roast turkey (a breast or leg) or slow cook turkey wings or roast a chicken over the weekend and then use it for lunches often.