Fresh Mozzarella question

Options
Emily3907
Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
So, DH and I LOVE to make homemade pizzas on Friday or Saturday nights. I always use the block mozzarella (Kraft and such) and shred. However, the one time I tried to use fresh mozz, it was so delicious, but it made the top of my pizza almost like a soup (WAY too much moisture). So I am hoping someone can help me with what I did wrong?

Are you supposed to drain the mozz overnight or something (like ricotta) before adding? I just took it from the package and put it on the pizza in slices. I would love to start using fresh because the taste is so much better, but I also need to be able to cut the pizza without having a pizza flood.

My Italian grandparents would be mortified that I even have to ask this. :(

Thanks!

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    use less?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    When I use fresh, I still grate it. A little harder to do because it's sooo much softer than the kraft stuff, but I find I use less and it's not as watery on top.
  • Emily3907
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    When I use fresh, I still grate it. A little harder to do because it's sooo much softer than the kraft stuff, but I find I use less and it's not as watery on top.

I never thought of that. I will try that.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How much did you put on? So one of the things I learned the hard way, and was sad at first, but now have come to appreciate, is that with the fresh mozzerella it shouldn't cover the whole pizza. If it does - and it all melts together, definitely too watery, especially if you use an appropriately thin crust the thing will get very soggy.

Before cooking should look something like:
    pizza-margherita-uncooked.jpg

And after - always add the basil after baking if you are making margherita pizza.
    HoDFLEj.jpg
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    damn you all...now I want pizza, but I'll 2nd what @winegelato said. I make mine very much the same.
  • Emily3907
    Options
    I definitely had space between the slices before cooking, but not quite as much as the photo above. It did melt together at the edges, but wasn't a huge cheese glob. I will try adding less and see what happens. Thanks!
  • Emily3907
    Options
    damn you all...now I want pizza, but I'll 2nd what @winegelato said. I make mine very much the same.

Pizza is my drug of choice. I was worried I would have to give it up or eat it very rarely, but I have figured out how to still fit it into my weekly calories, so we have it once a week! I can't live without my pizza.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    I definitely had space between the slices before cooking, but not quite as much as the photo above. It did melt together at the edges, but wasn't a huge cheese glob. I will try adding less and see what happens. Thanks!

May also have been the mozzerella that you used - some are packed in water to begin with and those are definitely going to have more moisture when they melt. I use the Bel Gioso ball mozzerella from my local grocery store, and I stick it in the freezer for about 10 minutes before I need to slice it and put it on the pizza. The same brand has logs of presliced mozzerella but I've found those to be slightly too thick for melting well on pizza, they are better for caprese salad.

• Emily3907
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »

May also have been the mozzerella that you used - some are packed in water to begin with and those are definitely going to have more moisture when they melt. I use the Bel Gioso ball mozzerella from my local grocery store, and I stick it in the freezer for about 10 minutes before I need to slice it and put it on the pizza. The same brand has logs of presliced mozzerella but I've found those to be slightly too thick for melting well on pizza, they are better for caprese salad.

YES! I got the pre-sliced stuff and it was in water. Thank you for the suggestions! Looking forward to Friday pizza night now! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I cut thin slices and pat them dry. And yeah, I don't use much.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If you do use the packed-in-water kind again, you could layer the slices between a clean dishtowel or paper towels and weight with a plate for a few minutes to squeeze out some of the water. Sprinkling the slices with a little salt, then dabbing it off might pull out a little excess moisture as well (works for things like cucumber so salads don't get wet).