fresh raw veggies...Im not logging..Refuse to log! Anyone else?

kwil74
kwil74 Posts: 42 Member
So the fresh vegetables whether it be a salad or carrot sticks, tomatoes ect..I don't log into mfp. It's the stuff I dip them in and dressings I put on top that I log..I can't think of any reason why I would spend so much time logging these little things as I nosh on raw veggies throughout the day..Yes Im sure the the little calories might add up a tad but worth logging? As for now Im gonna consider these things free foods..I would love input on this. I hate thinking I might be cheating myself..Im on week 2 1600 calories...Its getting better no huge weight loss to speak of as of yet

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    It really depends on how much of them you eat and your calorie goal. The fact that you aren't seeing much weight loss yet might point right back to this. If you really don't want to measure how much of them you're eating long term I might suggest that you do actually measure them for a few days and see how much you're averaging. Then create yourself an entry for "Kwil74 daily raw veggies" (or something like that) and make it the average amount of calories in veggies you are eating every day. Then you can easily enter that each day and make sure you aren't overeating by that much.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    It takes no time to log if I'm logging anyway, so I do.

Also, I like to know what I ate when I'm logging. If I find I'm hungry during the day and wonder what changed and can look back and see I used to eat a tomato (33 calories, say, although there are larger tomatoes) at 4 pm, that's helpful to know.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    edited August 2016
    The bulk of my meals consist of mostly vegetables. It wouldn't work for me. 700 grams of broccoli and cauliflower adds up.

And like Janejellyroll said, it helps me see if I'm meeting my nutrient goals.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Give it a try. If you're not losing weight, at least you know where to start looking for the problem.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    When I logged, I wasn't as nit picky with my veg, but I still logged...for salads I just did something fairly generic in the recipe builder and used that.

Also, some veg is higher calorie than other veg.

I usually eat over 1 Lb of veg daily along with a couple servings of fruit.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    I tend to log them but that's my personal preference, particularly with things like carrots, peppers and other sweet vegetables the calories can very quickly mount up.

If you're finding it too tedious to do every day but worried about cumulative effect maybe either
    a) Log for a few days, take an average calorie count and knock that off your daily allowance (or add a generic quick calories entry for that amount.
    or
    b) create a separate meal entry for just these. If you tend to eat the same things, then after a few days they'll be sitting there in your recent entries for that meal and very easy to find so should only take a few seconds to log as you won't have to search for them each time.
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    The reason I log my food is to lose weight; if I didn't log veggies then I could very easily go over my calorie goal for the day and never lose weight. I understand that veggies are healthy but I would feel like I was wasting my effort and would feel defeated when I didn't see the scales move. If I burn 1400 calories & log 1200 calories but eat 200 calories of veggies that I didn't log then I would be sabotaging myself.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    You have to do what works for you.
    Little things tend to add up, and can make a difference for some of us though.
    I personally log everything that I eat or drink.
    It worked for me through 20 months of losing the weight and for almost 3 years on maintenance, so I will keep logging to keep myself from regaining.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    kwil74 wrote: »
    So the fresh vegetables whether it be a salad or carrot sticks, tomatoes ect..I don't log into mfp. It's the stuff I dip them in and dressings I put on top that I log..I can't think of any reason why I would spend so much time logging these little things as I nosh on raw veggies throughout the day..Yes Im sure the the little calories might add up a tad but worth logging? As for now Im gonna consider these things free foods..I would love input on this. I hate thinking I might be cheating myself..Im on week 2 1600 calories...Its getting better no huge weight loss to speak of as of yet

They still contain calories. They should still be logged. Carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes....even though they don't have a lot of calories they still do contain some. Your body is logging it regardless of whether you input it into MFP or not. This could slow your progress.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 597 Member
    My deficit was only about 200 calories while I was losing and I can easily eat twice that many calories worth of vegetables without thinking about it, so I weighed and logged every morsel that went into my mouth. Even now I weigh and log all my veggies.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    kwil74 wrote: »

Maybe it's because you're not logging everything. It's really easy to eat 300 calories of veggies in a day. REALLY easy. And that could be maintenance for you!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I do! I easily get 30-50% of my daily calories from fresh raw veggies. If I didn't log them, I would be underestimating my daily calories by 500-600 calories!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    My vegetable intake is anywhere from 400-900 of my daily calories. I absolutely log that. It is not free for me. I mean...if someone's only vegetable they eat a day is a small pack of carrot sticks...I could see how that wouldn't make a difference. But veggies are a massive part of my diet, so they need to be weighed and logged like everything else...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Depends on the vegetable and the quantity and if you are interested in tracking anything other than calories. If you eat a lot of vegetables, they can easily add up to 100 calories or more. Would you skip logging a 100 calorie cookie or candy? If you aren't losing at the rate you want it is always a good idea to log everything as accurately as you can.

I log everything I eat because I want a fairly accurate record. I am looking at other things like fiber or sodium which vegetables have.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    I log everything- if you eat a lot of the same veggies, then they are right there in your recent foods. If you're not accurate, MFP isn't going to work.