Trying to gain weight with braces

Options
Does anyone have info on gaining weight with braces? I've searched and searched but I've still lost 10 lbs after. I'm 5'9 125lbs. There's no room to lose anymore! Goals 145 please help!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Uhm, what kind of braces are we talking about? O_o
  • belllyn21
    belllyn21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Braces on my teeth lol... Hitting my 4,000 cal goal wasn't a problem until I had them put on
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Tooth braces? If they hurt that much you need to go into see your orthodontist. It should only hurt for a day or two max after an adjustment, not nearly enough to make you lose weight. If it's because food gets stuck, just bring a toothbrush with you.

If they're brand new, they shouldn't hurt for more than 2 weeks.
  • belllyn21
    Options
    I have seen the ortho about it and they said it's normal. I can't even bite into a burger. Have to pick everything apart. Its so aggravating
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Weight gainer shakes. Lots of sort carbohydrate foods out there. Consistent high calorie days on end will eventually push you over. Any questions feel free to friend me ;)
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    belllyn21 wrote: »
    I have seen the ortho about it and they said it's normal. I can't even bite into a burger. Have to pick everything apart. Its so aggravating

That's just part of the fun of braces unfortunately. When I had mine I ate lots of mashed potatoes with gravy, Mac and cheese, soft pasta. You could have smoothies or milkshakes. Eggs are good too.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Oh how I would love to have this problem. LOL I'm somewhat of an expert on gaining weight :) MILKSHAKES -- REAL MILKSHAKES.

Mashed potatoes made with lots of heavy cream and butter. And if that's not enough, top them with gravy!

Seriously (actually I was being serious above) I had a bone graft in my jaw a couple of years back and had the same problem. I lived on mashed potatoes and milkshakes for about 3 weeks.
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ah, the joys of braces... I think I went through more Tylenol in those 2 years, than I have in the 20 years since!
    As others say, soft foods. I actually liked some baby foods, mostly the fruits and dessert kinds. You can also put regular foods in a blender, with a bit of milk or water to thin it to your liking. Good "blends" could be pizza, chicken and rice, lasagna, cheesecake. Puddings are good too...in summer I like the regular chocolate, but in winter I love warm rice pudding.
    Avocado has lots of calories, and can be mushed up to go with the other soft things like pasta. You could also add powdered milk to stuff like mashed potatoes, or use half & half when making mac/cheese instead of milk.

The other day I made a shake that tastes like liquid Reeses. A banana, couple spoonfuls of peanut butter, chocolate calorie powder (I used Carnation Breakfast, but there are weight gain whey stuff too), chocolate ice cream sauce, and whole milk to get it as thick/thin as you want it...easily over 400 calories.

You can also add olive oil to stuff like pasta, and in smoothies...it's 120 calories for just one tablespoon, and you probably won't even taste it.
  • healthybarrel
    healthybarrel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The key to gaining weight is to be consistent in your diet.

When I gain weight I like to have a bulking shake in the morning that keeps Fats at a minimal. This is my recipe.
    1 Banana
    2 scoops of ON Nutrition Protein (Mocha Cappuccino)
    1 serving of Justin’s Peanut Butter
    1 serving of Unflavored Creatine powder
    1 cup of oatmeal
    2 cups of Fat Free Milk

868 cal
    Protein 71 g
    Fats 18 g
    Carbs 104 g

If you were to freely eat ice cream and drink milk shakes all day you'll gain more fat than anything else.
    Just drinking 1 Chocolate milkshake from RedRobins gives
    712 cal
    Protein 8 g
    Fats 20 g
    Carbs 126 g

Kind of see the difference?
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Gainer shakes. I use choc milk too to increase the cals etc. Some of mine have been over 2k. I have 1-2/ day on top of all my food.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, creamy peanut butter. But there are lots of soft foods high in calories to help you hit your goals: cream based soups, ice cream, full fat yogurt or cottage cheese, avocados, pudding, oatmeal, rice, etc.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    smoothies
    shakes
    malts
    creamy soups-which feels great on teeth that are sore from braces
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to why your orthodontist thinks that having pain and the inability to eat more solid foods is normal (unless they were talking about the first few days after they were put on your teeth or the first few days after a tightening).

I had braces for about four years and after the first few days after a tightening, I could eat anything I wanted - I just had to watch that I didn't eat things that were rock solid so I wouldn't risk popping off a bracket. The only issues I had with braces was when they wouldn't cut the wire short enough at the back of my teeth so it would dig into my cheeks - that and there would be the odd time where a bracket would rub against the inside of my mouth but so long as I put wax on it it was fine, and whenever that did happen it would stop after a few days. But no issues food wise.

I was going to say pretty much this...I had braces for 4 years or so and the only time they hurt was when they were first put on or I went in to get them tightened...it's not normal for them to just hurt all of the time.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

That's just part of the fun of braces unfortunately. When I had mine I ate lots of mashed potatoes with gravy, Mac and cheese, soft pasta. You could have smoothies or milkshakes. Eggs are good too.

Also, ramen, ice cream, pudding, weight gainer shakes, thick shakes, poached eggs with hollandaise, mayonnaise, full fat dairy. chocolate, avocados, poached salmon, quiche, mangoes...
  • belllyn21
    Options
    The key to gaining weight is to be consistent in your diet.

When I gain weight I like to have a bulking shake in the morning that keeps Fats at a minimal. This is my recipe.
    1 Banana
    2 scoops of ON Nutrition Protein (Mocha Cappuccino)
    1 serving of Justin’s Peanut Butter
    1 serving of Unflavored Creatine powder
    1 cup of oatmeal
    2 cups of Fat Free Milk

868 cal
    Protein 71 g
    Fats 18 g
    Carbs 104 g

If you were to freely eat ice cream and drink milk shakes all day you'll gain more fat than anything else.
    Just drinking 1 Chocolate milkshake from RedRobins gives
    712 cal
    Protein 8 g
    Fats 20 g
    Carbs 126 g

Kind of see the difference?

This is awesome! Thank youuuu
  • belllyn21
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that has responded. I've been doing protein/gainer mix and pretty much all of the above besides milkshakes. I'm not sure as to why I'm so sore but I guess I'll just have to push through it!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Braces on my teeth lol... Hitting my 4,000 cal goal wasn't a problem until I had them put on

Respect to that lol
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    4,000 calories, 5'9", and 125 pounds? My metabolism and I need to talk
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My first thought was athlete... I've heard that depending on sports, like cycling or running, 5000 a day is average.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    VividDawn wrote: »
    My first thought was athlete... I've heard that depending on sports, like cycling or running, 5000 a day is average.

It's a joke. She's clearly doing something right