Working from home: feel myself slipping

Options
2 weeks ago I started a new job working from home. I have a healthy sleep pattern and can easily get my morning gym work outs in. My job before was also at a desk so there's no real activity level change but now I'm struggling between 1-4 pm wanting to eat out of boredom/knowing food is 3 ft away etc. Any suggestions? TIA :)

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I work from home.

1. I don't have trigger foods in the house
    2. My boredom eating went away when I upped protein in relationship to carbs
    3. Getting some exercise at lunchtime is helpful as well
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    limit the bad stuff so if you do eat, its typically not blowing the day. if thats possible. raw veggies probably the best choice. be sure your getting some good protein. drink lots of water. :) take a walk. brush your teeth. i rarely want to eat right after i brush cuz stuff tastes bad and when my teeth are fresh, i just don't want to eat right away.

just some thoughts.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I have a planned snack. I love chocolate covered coffee beans and weigh out 8 pieces each morning, then eat one every 30 minutes from 12/1 until 4. Sometimes I eat them all, sometimes I have a few left which I eat after supper.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk instead.
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have a rule that I can only eat on break and only if starved. Work is work. However, I am preheating the oven so I can bake a cobbler as soon as my shift if over.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I would have a hard time with that too. Maybe still do all your food prep for the week in advance, so you don't have to think about it-- and then designated snack times like 2 and 4 to have an apple, Greek yogurt, nuts or the like.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    "out of boredom"

Do you not have much work to do? If anything my experience with work is that I forget to eat because I'm busy working. Honestly my solution to boredom induced eating is to busy myself with work so when I hear that you are distracted by food while at work I'm not sure. Are you busy enough with your job? Is there a way to get more work?
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    "out of boredom"

Do you not have much work to do? If anything my experience with work is that I forget to eat because I'm busy working. Honestly my solution to boredom induced eating is to busy myself with work so when I hear that you are distracted by food while at work I'm not sure. Are you busy enough with your job? Is there a way to get more work?

I think this all depends on the type of job. When I worked a desk job, I could see this having been a problem had I worked from home. I would have wanted to snack while dealing with paperwork/accounts.

Now my experience has changed, working in a chemistry lab. Today, for instance, I was busy with an experiment and food didn't cross my mind for over 8 hours until my head was hurting too badly to focus.

OP, my advice is to just power through it. If you can't work a snack into your calorie goal, you'll need to get better at telling your body "no" when it wants to boredom eat.
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I worked from home the better part of the last year, during which I've lost about 110 pounds.

Pre-logging was key for me (I do it the night before). If I left my afternoon snack to chance, things could get real ugly real fast. The kitchen is so close! There's tasty food in there! I planned everything out so choice was (for the most part) eliminated.

I worked out in the morning. I set time frames for when I could eat. Lunch after 1pm, snack after 3:30, etc.--that kept me from grazing, which I am very prone to do.

I now work in an office and I am finding it much harder! I'm busy all day, and bring breakfast, lunch and a snack with me. Then after work I walk past a burrito place and my healthy dinner plan goes out the window. I had a rough day and deserve it, right? This is the thinking that got me in trouble in the first place!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    foxygirl14 wrote: »
    2 weeks ago I started a new job working from home. I have a healthy sleep pattern and can easily get my morning gym work outs in. My job before was also at a desk so there's no real activity level change but now I'm struggling between 1-4 pm wanting to eat out of boredom/knowing food is 3 ft away etc. Any suggestions? TIA :)

I use my lunch hour to get a cardio in jog/walk 3 to 5 miles. Then I eat a late lunch while I'm working. If I feel like munching out a little later, I have already burned enough calories to do that. Then I usually do an evening cardio before dinner.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I work from home half the week. I do Insanity on my break when I'm home and take a walk when I'm at the office.