Share your running peeves

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    JimDew wrote: »
    Mine is people that won’t acknowledge another runner. Or walker. A nod or wave isn’t hard to muster. (I’m not talking 30 people to wave at in 3 miles, but the 2-4 I cross paths with in 5 miles).

I prefer the wave or nod. I don't like having to speak while running. So I like when someone gives me the wave and I can just raise my hand up in return and keep moving. When they say "good morning" or "how's it going?" I don't want to have to answer. I'm kinda busy. But yeah, an acknowledging nod is quite polite and not hard to do. B)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    go_cubs wrote: »
    I guess my peeve would be with other people on the trails. It's only happened a few times, but after I ran a while and stop and walk, I've had a few times where other walkers that saw me initially running say something like "are you too tired to run anymore?"
    I suppose they weren't trying to be rude, but why say something like that to anyone?
    On the flip side, after my last ACL surgery, I hit the paved trail a lot to practice the whole walking normally thing again, and was out walking in my ACL brace one day when one of the other walkers passed by me and said I was doing great and getting out and walking was a great thing for me to do. I thought that was sweet of him to be encouraging like that, especially at a time when I was pouting a lot for being sidelined from a lot of the stuff I wanted to be doing.

Yesss this!but I hate the “words of encouragement “
    Like “good job keep going”
    Blah blah blah

My sister and I were running up a steep hill (and were at the section with a hundred stone steps cut into the trail - running up steps is hard) one time during marathon training, giving everything we had to keep the pace, when these two women walking downhill tried to cheer us on and give us high fives. We know they meant well, but when you are already maxed out on effort - just trying to survive and make it to the top - that little extra effort to say thanks and high five someone while going up hill like that takes everything. Totally energy sapping and demoralizing.

We kept chugging on, but it was agonizing, and we slowed massively to more of a survival shuffle. They probably thought they were being super motivating and helpful. Even years later when we come to the base of a beast hill, if there's anyone else around, one of us always comments on that day...put your mean face on and don't make eye contact! ;)

This made me laugh.

I fall into the “the least you can do is nod” camp, but I completely sympathize with your story. When I’m running hard and concentrating on form, the extra effort of putting on a smile and trying not to look like I’m dying tends to make me trip over my own feet! On the other hand, having to pull my stuff together when passing supporters is the only thing that got me through my half marathon. Sometimes faking it helps you make it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    go_cubs wrote: »
    I guess my peeve would be with other people on the trails. It's only happened a few times, but after I ran a while and stop and walk, I've had a few times where other walkers that saw me initially running say something like "are you too tired to run anymore?"
    I suppose they weren't trying to be rude, but why say something like that to anyone?
    On the flip side, after my last ACL surgery, I hit the paved trail a lot to practice the whole walking normally thing again, and was out walking in my ACL brace one day when one of the other walkers passed by me and said I was doing great and getting out and walking was a great thing for me to do. I thought that was sweet of him to be encouraging like that, especially at a time when I was pouting a lot for being sidelined from a lot of the stuff I wanted to be doing.

Yesss this!but I hate the “words of encouragement “
    Like “good job keep going”
    Blah blah blah

My sister and I were running up a steep hill (and were at the section with a hundred stone steps cut into the trail - running up steps is hard) one time during marathon training, giving everything we had to keep the pace, when these two women walking downhill tried to cheer us on and give us high fives. We know they meant well, but when you are already maxed out on effort - just trying to survive and make it to the top - that little extra effort to say thanks and high five someone while going up hill like that takes everything. Totally energy sapping and demoralizing.

We kept chugging on, but it was agonizing, and we slowed massively to more of a survival shuffle. They probably thought they were being super motivating and helpful. Even years later when we come to the base of a beast hill, if there's anyone else around, one of us always comments on that day...put your mean face on and don't make eye contact! ;)

This made me laugh.

I fall into the “the least you can do is nod” camp, but I completely sympathize with your story. When I’m running hard and concentrating on form, the extra effort of putting on a smile and trying not to look like I’m dying tends to make me trip over my own feet! On the other hand, having to pull my stuff together when passing supporters is the only thing that got me through my half marathon. Sometimes faking it helps you make it.

It's funny, because at the actual marathons, (not running straight up steep steps on hilly trails), the crowd energizes me! I'm high fiving all over the place! :D
  • NCK96
    NCK96 Posts: 146 Member
    I’d rather run on the road than the sidewalk but the neighborhood sent out a notice saying people can’t run in the bike lanes or on the side of the road or they can get ticketed. Yet every time I run on the sidewalk I nearly get run over by someone on a bike. You can’t win.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    NCK96 wrote: »
    I’d rather run on the road than the sidewalk but the neighborhood sent out a notice saying people can’t run in the bike lanes or on the side of the road or they can get ticketed. Yet every time I run on the sidewalk I nearly get run over by someone on a bike. You can’t win.

That's a strange one. And sidewalks usually suck for running. Is this in a private area, or public streets?

As for running peeves, since I don't run that often few. Around here I usually run early and miss all the drama of the bike paths and such. The super crazy motivating (in their own minds) types get on my nerves sometimes, but I can just blow that off.
  • TreasureDiver1
    TreasureDiver1 Posts: 35 Member
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    You know that thing... Where you have to put one foot in front of the other again and again and again... I hate that!!

I was thinking the exact same thing ! :)
  • askeeney
    askeeney Posts: 448 Member
    nmbuayro5nl1.jpeg
    How to you make like look cute in an evening gown?
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    You know that thing... Where you have to put one foot in front of the other again and again and again... I hate that!!
    This. ALL this.
  • JB1775
    JB1775 Posts: 136 Member
    JB1775 wrote: »
    Running itself is a peeve. Lol. I hate it. But it's necessary. So I love it.

It’s one of the most natural activities for a human to do. My fellow homo sapien had you no idea that we are probably the top species for endurance on this planet?

I don't disagree, but I tend to redline. A nice easy run is great; a 3-5 mile run where I'm suffering before the first miles sucks lol. Feels good afterwards though.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    My legs' general unwillingness to keep carrying me.
  • epr31295
    epr31295 Posts: 6,213 Member
    Dogs hate me therefore dogs that are not fenced in our on a leash have a field day chatting me. Only been bitten once but come-on I did nothing to these dogs.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    askeeney wrote: »
    nmbuayro5nl1.jpeg
    chunky/wide bracelet

my question is what do i do with the multiple sports bra/shorts/capri/sock tan lines?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    people who think its fun to have a "you're almost there" sign at mile 2 of a marathon
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5cd9d1d751506c30599b526b&rid=giphy.gif
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member

Oh look, my type
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    alywei3773 wrote: »

Oh look, my type

Pillsbury dough-like boys? Sign me up
  • askeeney
    askeeney Posts: 448 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    askeeney wrote: »
    nmbuayro5nl1.jpeg
    chunky/wide bracelet

my question is what do i do with the multiple sports bra/shorts/capri/sock tan lines?

Yes girl! I get these weird short lines beautiful tan down the back of my legs and thighs then my shins are just white. With a dark ring around my ankles before stark white feet.
  • clynds
    clynds Posts: 41 Member
    Comments from lazy people on patios about how bad running is for my knees.

Other runners that spit and snot rocket constantly.

People that run too close to me Jen we run side by side... close is nice for chatting, but please stop elbowing me!

I love running, none of these things are actually a big deal, but I wanted to join the fun!

Oh, and when I think I’m flying and my pace is way slower than I thought! Lol
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,852 Member
    Exercise-Induced Urticaria
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    I've decided I loathe running in suburbia on the cement sidewalks. Gimme a treadmill or soft forest trail in the shade, please