Calisthenics?

Options
I've recently started exercising again in addition to dieting, and I have a pretty even split between straight cardio (e.g., running) and using my Moov Now to do circuit training, which is all calisthenics.

My question is, if you're overweight enough (as I unfortunately am), are calisthenics sufficient to build muscle for a beginner, or does it have way less benefit compared to strength-training with weights? I'm not looking to build too much muscle yet, just want to have a foundation in order to make fat loss easier... Any thoughts?

Replies

• berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would say yes - I do a short mainly calisthenics/8kg kettlebell workout (I got a cheap kettlebell on an offer and it's my only weight). 50s effort exercise and 10s rest and I've noticed my arms taking on a nicer shape and feeling a bit stronger. My form is improving for push-ups too.

I suppose the only disadvantage is that while overweight it might be harder to see the muscles - I've already lost quite a bit but I didn't have a lot on my arms so I think that's why it's more noticeable there.
  • RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It will have way less benefit compared to strength training, yes. Unfortunately, you just don't generate enough of a load to stimulate muscle growth.

Also, you're not going to build "too much" muscle. I'm assuming you're a female by your username (sorry if I'm incorrect), but women just can't build a ton of muscle quickly. If you think you're building too much (which would take years, probably), you'll see it coming long before you get there, and can cut back.

I think your mindset is right though, to build a good base.

So I would recommend weight lifting, but if HIIT-type work is all you have, then that's good too!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It will have way less benefit compared to strength training, yes. Unfortunately, you just don't generate enough of a load to stimulate muscle growth.

This is bs, it doesn't matter how the muscles are stressed, whether by weights or bodyweight you are going to benefit. For some just doing a few solid pushups can be extremely difficult. There are many ways to progress body weight moves to make them increasingly difficult