Why am I so dehydrated!!?

Options
Liz6843
Liz6843 Posts: 29 Member
The title pretty much sums it up.

I've been exercising more and eating 1200-1400 cals a day (and I am satiated), my sodium intake is better than it's ever been before (at MOST around 2700 mg/day, but I feel dehydrated even on days when it's under 2000). I must be drinking close to 20 liters of water a day and I still feel thirsty, my lips are even dry! How is that even possible? Pretty sure I'm not diabetic, this thirst thing came on suddenly with more diet/exercise. Is this normal?? How do I hydrate myself better?

Replies

• hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It's not that you feel dehydrated, it could be you are hungry. People sometimes take hunger for thirst.
  • Liz6843
    Options
    Hm, good point. Would your lips get dry though? Like usually my lips only get dry when I'm dehydrated or it's cold out...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Have you significantly dropped your fat intake? A lack of dietary fat can lead to dryness.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Liz6843 wrote: »
    Hm, good point. Would your lips get dry though? Like usually my lips only get dry when I'm dehydrated or it's cold out...

Yes, it can also be an effect of what you are eating during your diet. Vitamin deficiency is one of the causes for dry lips among others. Another reason, being hungry can cause you to suck your lips more...causing it to be dry...

Read about it here

https://consumerhealthdigest.com/lip-care-center/dry-lips.html
  • RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just kind of guessing here, but lowering your sodium and carbs will make you retain less water. You'll pee out all your water, which may make you feel less hydrated than when your body was just holding more all the time.

Edit: When I said you pee out ALL your water, I was exaggerating. Wanted to clarify before I get attacked ;)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

I've been exercising more and eating 1200-1400 cals a day (and I am satiated), my sodium intake is better than it's ever been before (at MOST around 2700 mg/day, but I feel dehydrated even on days when it's under 2000). I must be drinking close to 20 liters of water a day and I still feel thirsty, my lips are even dry! How is that even possible? Pretty sure I'm not diabetic, this thirst thing came on suddenly with more diet/exercise. Is this normal?? How do I hydrate myself better?

That's over 5 1/4 gallons. That can be dangerous. Yes, it's possible to drink too much water.
  • Liz6843
    Options

You are not drinking 20 liters of fluid. That's ridiculous.

Hmm, well, I'm not drinking it all at once, if that's what you mean. I have a 750 mL water bottle that I fill up before I walk to work, it's drank before I arrive, I'm filling my water bottle up ~10 times throughout the work day, then I come home (again drinking 750 mL on the walk home), fill up and start exercising, and go through another ~10 refills throughout the evening. I'm pretty sure it's been over 10 several times now, but I'll start keeping a more accurate account, but it is absolutely in the gallons of fluids a day (again, not all at once).

This is why I'm posting though, it's excessive especially since I don't feel hydrated at the end of it all!
  • Liz6843
    Options

That's over 5 1/4 gallons. That can be dangerous. Yes, it's possible to drink too much water.

Yep, you're absolutely right. I knew you could OD on water but I didn't realize how close I was getting to the daily limit. Alright, will stop drinking this much as of tomorrow and see a doctor about why I'm so freakin' thirsty... Thanks for the input.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm not qualified to give medical advice. However, googling "symptoms of having too much water" lists symptoms that can be confused with dehydration. Please go and see a doctor. 20 litres of water sounds outright dangerous.
    Edited to add: especially dangerous if you are keeping your sodium levels low.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    If you are genuinely drinking 20 litres of water a day you had better get to the doctor immediately.

Are you actually thirsty or do you have a dry mouth? Two entirely different things. When my symptoms of Sjogren's Syndrome first appeared I associated dry mouth and other issues as being thirsty.

Why would you wait until tomorrow to stop drinking so much water? Do it now. I would also be going to an out of hours clinic immediately don't wait until you can see your doctor who may not have an appointment available immediately.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    you're drinking too much water. Too much water puts your electrolytes out of balance and can cause hyponatermia( too low salt) which can mimic dehydration symptoms.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyponatremia/basics/definition/con-20031445

• mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I know I've already posted in this thread, but OP, your water intake worried me so much! I am looking forward to a update after you've seen a doctor and reduced water intake.
    20 litres is just such an outlier, I've never heard anyone drink anything remotely like that. I thought even for the most extreme conditions on Earth, say military trekking in a desert, the recommendation is something like 4-5 litres per day. For someone in a more moderate climate, much less than that is fine under most circumstances. Even the often repeated 8 glasses a day is more than enough for most people.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Doctor. 20L a day is a legitimate issue. I think 1L per hour is usually where overhydration can happen and it's a serious condition and can kill.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Yep.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

If you truly are drinking 20 litres of water a day ... go to a doctor now. You can kill yourself that way and if you really are that thirsty, there's a good chance there's a medical reason for it.

I think in litres too, but in cups measurements, 2 litres is 8 cups of water a day. The generally suggested amount. 20 litres is 80 cups of water a day. When you say it like that ... doesn't that seem a bit excessive?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Yep, you're absolutely right. I knew you could OD on water but I didn't realize how close I was getting to the daily limit. Alright, will stop drinking this much as of tomorrow and see a doctor about why I'm so freakin' thirsty... Thanks for the input.

Good choice. 8 glass a day is enough.
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If your really drinking that much water then you should see a doctor immediately and tell him your symptoms and how much water your consuming. That's way too much.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I struggle to drink more than 3L a day. OP something is definitely wrong if you're plowing through 20L, you must be peeing every 5 minutes??
  • trc2517
    trc2517 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Liz6843, please see a trusted doctor - insist on a full work up. Many medical issues can be masked or explained away. For 2 weeks my son just couldn't get enough to drink (drank 1 gallon of milk in a few hours). At last we saw his doc where he was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes - an autoimmune disease that has nothing to do with lifestyle choices, etc. I've since learned that anyone at any age can be diagnosed - it's not just a kid's disease. Wishing you the best!