Does anyone forgo breakfast?

Options
I'm just not hungry until lunchtime. I eat it simply because it's "better" for my metabolism but its added calories for me because I'd rather just eat those calories at lunch and dinner, and do so anyway, so I could eliminate 200 cals or so by forgoing it. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Many thanks!

Replies

• FineFitFatty
    Options
    Anyone?
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Never! :D
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    breakfast has nothing to do with metabolism...that is a myth..

If you are not hungry then skip it, as long as it does not lead to binging later in day...

I used to do do lean gains 18/6 and would skip breakfast and not have my first meal until lunchtime...I actually lost about 1% body fat while doing lean gains...

meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism...
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have a 600-800calorie each breakfast and lunch and a less dense dinner
  • trenee35
    trenee35 Posts: 143
    Options
    When I skip breakfast I lose weight at a slower pace. I don't know why this is, it just is for me.
  • lesliek312
    lesliek312 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am not hungry first thing in the morning either. I always grab a yogurt and piece of fruit to eat around 9:00 on days that I work. On mornings that I'm home I make myself breakfast. Usually Egg Beaters and a slice of toast. I always have a light snack before lunch because I'm always hungry around 10:30-11:00. Seems to be working for me. I do understand the importance of fueling my body for the morning but just can't seem to do that much before 9:00!
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. All depends on how I feel. I often don't get hungry until 11 or so. I try really hard to listen to my body and take those cues. If I am hungry earlier, I usually have a greek yogurt. If not, I just wait until I am hungry. I never eat because it's "time to eat".
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast only when I wake up late and there is no time to squeeze in a meal before my lunch :grumble:
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Most days I only eat two meals a day. It's not better for your metabolism to eat breakfast and it's perfectly fine to skip if that's your preference and it works for you.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it. ive never been a breakfast person. I drink my coffee, and that's it. im not hungry until around 11, and im not about to force food down my throat... I don't play into the myth that i have to eat breakfast. according to my ticker, i seem to be losing fine without taking advantage of that meal! :)

except for this morning. i managed to fit an apple fritter donut into my calories... that i will force down my throat :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I find the earlier I start eating in the day, the hungrier I am all day long. I skip breakfast fairly often and I try to delay it as long as possible on the days I do eat it.
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am not much of breakfast eater either, but I have found out that if I eat a little something it helps me lose. I literally eat just a little. I do not like eggs that much, and I do not have time to cook in the mornings. That being said, if I oversleep on the weekends I start with lunch.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I used to never eat breakfast, but I have been lately. It seems to help me stick to my calories during the day. Of course, that's just me.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Never! It's the one meal I always eat...heartily!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    passing along what my nutritionist told me:
    eating breakfast does get your metabolism moving a little faster, because you're body begins working on digestion, HOWEVER, the main reason that breakfast is recommended is so that you don't binge later due to hunger. Some people (like me) find that they get hungrier earlier in the day when they eat breakfast, which makes it harder to stay within our calorie goal.
    If I wait until around 11 to have my first meal, it seems to hold me over for longer. If I skip breakfast, I have no issues waiting til even past noon to eat my first meal of the day, but if I have breakfast, I seem to be hungry all morning. The exception is if I am planning an active morning, a run or a hike, then I will eat a small breakfast before I go.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I'm just not hungry until lunchtime. I eat it simply because it's "better" for my metabolism but its added calories for me because I'd rather just eat those calories at lunch and dinner, and do so anyway, so I could eliminate 200 cals or so by forgoing it. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Many thanks!
    For me forgoing breakfast is a sign that my diet is out of control...I usually wake up hungry when I'm eating and working out properly, and I consume the most calories in a single meal for breakfast.
    If I wake up full/bloated I usually 'skip' breakfast but make sure I get a morning meal by 11am latest. Some people work better by eating later on and that's fine. There is no metabolic advantage one way or another. I'd say just do what's most comfortable for your body to make your weight loss realistic and achievable.
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    I cringe everytime I hear about someone skipping breakfast or anyone advising that one should skip breakfast. You obviously know how important it is to your health, so try just having a piece of fruit or a handful of almonds on your way out the door in the morning. Not only is it good for your metabolism, but breakfast is giving you the substantial amount of energy that your body needs to work through the morning. Please eat something!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    passing along what my nutritionist told me:
    eating breakfast does get your metabolism moving a little faster, because you're body begins working on digestion, HOWEVER, the main reason that breakfast is recommended is so that you don't binge later due to hunger. Some people (like me) find that they get hungrier earlier in the day when they eat breakfast, which makes it harder to stay within our calorie goal.
    If I wait until around 11 to have my first meal, it seems to hold me over for longer. If I skip breakfast, I have no issues waiting til even past noon to eat my first meal of the day, but if I have breakfast, I seem to be hungry all morning. The exception is if I am planning an active morning, a run or a hike, then I will eat a small breakfast before I go.

sorry to say, but your nutritionist is wrong about the metabolism aspect...meal timing and metabolism have nothing to do with each other...
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I always eat a breakfast that is high in protein (eggs, meal replacement shake, Kashi/soy milk) because it gives me energy, keeps me full until lunchtime and I find I'm not likely to binge later in the day. For me eating 6 small balanced meals/snacks a day keeps me balanced and on my scheduled weight loss goals.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I cringe everytime I hear about someone skipping breakfast or anyone advising that one should skip breakfast. You obviously know how important it is to your health, so try just having a piece of fruit or a handful of almonds on your way out the door in the morning. Not only is it good for your metabolism, but breakfast is giving you the substantial amount of energy that your body needs to work through the morning. Please eat something!

please post a study showing that "eating breakfast is important to your health". Breakfast has nothing to do with metabolism.

How do people do IF/Lean Gains, skip breakfast, and get absolutely shredded??