Eating back calories after exercise

Options
I've been eating back my calories after exercise but I'm wondering if I would see more results if I didn't? I don't want to be starving!

Replies

• Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fuel to work out. Try only eating back half if you like. It's a personal choice. Remember, faster isn't always better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Fueling your fitness is important...failure to fuel your fitness leads to recovery issues and performance issues. Lean, healthy, and fit people understand that you don't diet and exercise...you eat and train.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    What sort of results are you seeing now?
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It'd depend how those calories burned are being calculated - HRM or MFP? I use an HRM but in my experience MFP has been generous when working out calories burned.

Eating back less calories would speed up weight loss in the simplest terms. But you need to make sure you are re-fuelling and repairing your body properly so eating back less calories may be a false economy.

I would suggest making sure you're getting the most out of those active calories in terms of recovery and also trailing eating a few less and see how you feel. So much of this is down to how you feel at the time.
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You would lose weight faster if you didnt because you would essentially be eating less.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I only eat 100 cals of my exercise back. I find this works for me, and I don't find I'm too hungry.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I eat back as many calories necessary to achieve the net amount necessary for my body weight goal - - currently maintenance.

Sometimes that's zero and other times - - like yesterday when I rowed 20k meters and burned over 1000 calories -- it can be over 800.