Can we have a civilized debate on breakfast? To eat or not to eat!

Options
13»

Replies

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Always breakfast, always lunch. If i skip a meal, it's supper. I can sleep hungry no problem; I cannot work well when hungry.
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast, and it HAS to include meat or dairy. Otherwise I get the munchies until I eat, and if I don't get meat I get super depressed.

Now it used to be I could just do green tea and a banana, or skip entirely. As I get older that doesn't work so much. My dad never eats breakfast. My husband eats tons of carbs in the morning. Everyone's body is different.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5 a.m. starving, regardless of when/how much I eat the previous evening. Breakfast is absolutely necessary for me to function in the morning.

But everyone is different. To anyone who doesn't "need" breakfast to function I see absolutely no problem with skipping it. (I've heard but have no evidence that breakfast is necessary to start one's metabolism in the morning.)

I shoot for 2400 cal per day (plus exercise, but I don't eat back those calories), roughly broken down like so:
    Breakfast 6:00 a.m.: 800 cal
    Lunch 12:00 n.: 500 cal
    Dinner 6:00 p.m.: 800 cal
    Snacks/Extra: 300 cal
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    King_Spicy wrote: »
    I would take Harvard's opinion well above my own. lol

Those aren't Harvard's opinions. They are just the publisher.

Bingo.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The title makes it seem like this is a hot topic. Typically I just see that it's personal preference. If you like breakfast, have it, if not, don't :)

I find that pretty civilized!

You missed all the fireworks then. A few years back there was a regular poster who focused on one topic and basically one topic only: "How breakfast killed my parents, kicked my dog, got me fired, and made me fat (and assuredly will do the same to you)." Always entertaining on a Friday forum day.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I really don't eat breakfast, I might have a fatty coffee but usually I can go until 4-6pm before really feeling the need to eat... except lately... sharkweek T_T
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If skipping breakfast works for you, then I say do it! I'm not hungry right when I wake up either and so I wait till I am hungry. Plus, fasting can be beneficial for weight loss. 12-16 hour fasts cause gluconeogenesis to occur (the making of new glucose when your body runs out) which uses ATP and thus uses energy (calories). I like to try and wait at least 12 hours between last night's dinner and breakfast.
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I get up, I have to wait an hour for my thyroid meds to absorb before I can eat anything, but I still eat breakfast when that hour is up. It's got nothing to do with a weight loss strategy; I need to eat in order to think straight and I start studying/class at 7.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    DanerTee wrote: »
    So, I dunno what to think about the whole, breakfast is the most important meal of the day vs CICO, doesn't matter what or when, but matters how many calories you consume.

Reason I ask is, I have a fairly low target of 1330 cals per day, and I find that if I skip breakfast I have more calories for lunch and dinner. My trigger craving time is the evening, so if I am forced into a light dinner because of breakfast and lunch, I am much more prone to binge eating. If I skip breakfast, which is a time of day I'm legit not hungry, so I don't miss it, I can eat more in the evening and avoid having a craving AND hunger to contend with.

Am I screwing myself in some way? Is this an OK thing to do? Has anyone out there skipped breakfast and continued to lose weight just as fast as with breakfast?

Thanks!

You found something that works for you. Go with it. For the record, I'm the same.
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else saying that if it feels good to you, keep doing it. We have a similar calorie goal (I'm at 1350) and I do eat breakfast every day, but just a small one: two hard boiled eggs and a banana (on Fridays I mix it up a little with two eggs over easy, a piece of toast, and a banana). But my preference is for three small meals/snacks throughout the day and a bigger dinner. I say whatever works for you!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    CICO just means exactly what it says...that your weight loss, and everyone elses, is a function of your caloric intake versus expenditure. It says nothing about what you personally should do with your eating habits to establish that deficit comfortably.

In other words CICO says nothing at all about whether you personally would benefit from eating breakfast or not. Frankly the only person fit to answer your question is you.
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    About a week ago I stopped doing breakfast because I wasn't really hungry and thought I could have better lunch and dinner and I have enjoyed doing it this way. I do all my eating between noon and 6 pm and have loved doing it that way.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    Always breakfast, always lunch. If i skip a meal, it's supper. I can sleep hungry no problem; I cannot work well when hungry.
    ^^This is me as well. Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. So I guess that makes it most important to me, but for everyone? No.

airigami wrote: »
    Not to mention most breakfasts have sugar on it. Unless you're eating mostly fruit and good eggs; Bacon, Pancakes with Syrup, Coffee, Cereals (if not the good kinds), etc. are usually full of sugar and are not the healthy kind anyways.

Bacon is full of sugar? Hmm. The package of Oscar Mayer Thick Cut Bacon in my fridge says "not a significant source of....sugars". *shrugs*

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I have found, through IF, that I'm less hungry during the day if I skip breakfast, and it helps keep my overall calorie intake down. It used to be difficult for me to spread my 1600 calories out over the whole day. It's so much easier now that I don't eat until noon or 1:00pm. I do have 2 cups of coffee with a total of 1tsp of sugar, and a square of 85% dark chocolate prior to that, and I look forward to that everyday
  • DrenRigs
    DrenRigs Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast make me more tired so I skip it and enjoy a big Lunch
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Personally, I need a solid BK with a good amt of protein and good carbs to avoid being hungry later in the day and bingeing. I just don't understand why there is a debate. If you do this diet thing long enough and are successful, you figure out what works for you. What others think or do is irrelevant.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    NancyYale wrote: »
    Personally, I need a solid BK with a good amt of protein and good carbs to avoid being hungry later in the day and bingeing. I just don't understand why there is a debate. If you do this diet thing long enough and are successful, you figure out what works for you. What others think or do is irrelevant.

Word.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    DanerTee wrote: »
    If I skip breakfast, which is a time of day I'm legit not hungry, so I don't miss it, I can eat more in the evening and avoid having a craving AND hunger to contend with.

This is me, exactly. I am just not hungry until about 12:30/1:00 in the afternoon. I wake up, workout, have coffee and then I am in the (work) zone until it's time for lunch, which is fairly light for me (300 calories usually). Dinner is much more robust, and I save room for a nightly cocktail. Works for me! I'm down 38 lbs since January :)