Soda Addiction - looking for advice/motivation

Options
To give a little info on myself: I'm a 25yr old female, 5'7" weighing 230lbs. I won't bog down my post with all the details of how I got to this weight, but as of my current situation my goal is lose 90lbs. I haven't officially started this final weight loss journey....if anything I find this to be very hard in terms of motivation. What I am wondering is if perhaps I made a change in my drinking (soda) habits then maybe I will start seeing a difference in my food preferences etc?

I can easily drink over a 2L in one day. Mainly diet soda but I do drink regular soda on occasion. I will be the first to admit I do overeat. At the same time, I do work a job that is very physically demanding. I know that if I were to cut back on eating and make better healthier choices that I could lose the weight.

I'm looking to see if anyone has any recommendations/tips/motivation etc on how they quit drinking soda. Did you notice any difference in your weight/emotional status/food cravings? Would it be okay to start with just focusing on quitting soda before moving on to other things (such as portion control)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

-Britt

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking soda with caffeine, cutting back will make a huge difference emotionally.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Switch to diet, or something like la croix seltzers. You don't necessarily need to revamp your whole diet. Just eat appropriate portions of what you are currently eating. Make it fit your calorie goals. And log every. Single. Thing. Small, sustainable changes add up.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It'll be tough, not gonna lie but that's due to the caffeine.

Could you just cut back?

Diet Soda has a minute amount of calories so it won't impact your weight loss.
  • lilstry
    lilstry Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Soda is very addictive because of the caffeine. It also dehydrates you which can make you drink more! Find another drink you like and integrate that into your habits. Choose something with less sugar and little or no caffeine.
    Gatorade, Vitamin water, sobe, and try drinking some regular water. Personally I have cut my soda intake completely and now I feel better. (A little less bloated from carbonation!) In addition to less pop I changed my diet and have been eating healthier as well.
    If you have a huge urge to drink soda only allow yourself to drink I liter pop and water. Then after a week take it down to a can a day! With anything its good to set goals and try and stick to them. Caffeine withdraws aren't that bad. Mostly just headaches and a little irritability. Try to get plenty of rest today :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It'll be tough, not gonna lie but that's due to the caffeine.

Could you just cut back?

Diet Soda has a minute amount of calories so it won't impact your weight loss.

This^

I drink one or two (12 oz) diet sodas everyday. It's not great for my teeth, but it doesn't impact weight loss. Try cutting back and adding more water. I keep a Brita filter pitcher in the fridge (cold water) mmm. Also, I drink unsweetened ice tea (for the caffeine).
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lilstry wrote: »
    ...Gatorade, Vitamin water, sobe, and try drinking some regular water.

Be very careful with Vitamin Water. Most of it is glorified Kool Aid - with all the sugar and calories that implies. Unless you get the "Zero" stuff, 1 cup of Vitamin Water has as many calories as a cup of soda.

I used to be a soda addict. First, I weaned myself of regular soda by switching to diet. Then, I started replacing some of the diet soda with Crystal Light (any flavoured calorie free drink would do). Then I started making the Crystal Light more and more dilute. I currently make it a quarter as strong as the label says. Once I was used to that, I swapped in some water instead of the flavoured water.

These days, at least half of my drinking is water. The rest is a mix of (mostly) homemade iced tea (no sweetener), dilute Crystal Light and the occasional diet soda.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If it's caffeinated, you'll probably have headaches or withdrawal symptoms, I know I did. I weaned myself off 2L a day slowly down to an 8 ounce glass a day, then stopped altogether for 6 years. I started drinking diet soda this year because I really missed the fullness the carbonation gave me.

If you want it, just account for it in your calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just weened myself off. I used to drink anywhere between 3-6 sodas daily...never diet. I cut that back to one per day and just treated it as a little treat for the day...usually with my lunch. After a couple of weeks I dialed that back to one every other day...and so on and so forth until I had it down to once per week...and then I just kind of stopped.

I have a soda occasionally now...not that often and I don't really think about it.
  • bmclogins
    bmclogins Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was raised on soda. I LOVED soda, and drank a lot of it. I could never stop by cutting back, or just drinking sparking water with fruit juice, or any number of flavourings or substitutions. I had to stop drinking it cold turkey.

My recommendation: Only drink water. Don't complicate your life. Just get a big honking reusable water bottle and carry it around everywhere. Throw away any pop or drinks that are not water. You will feel like S**T for a week or so and then... you will feel awesome.

Now I drink naturally decaffeinated tea in the morning and evening, and the rest of the time I drink water. I still have wine, etc. if I go out with friends. But water is really the only drink your body needs.
  • bmclogins
    bmclogins Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add: carbonation is really not good. A lot of my tummy troubles (reflux, etc.) went away when I switched to a water-only way of life. As for food, I eat whatever I want as long as it's close to my calorie goal. It seems to be working, slowly but surely.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you have been consuming 2 liters or more of full-sugar carbonated beverages daily, yes, eliminating that is a sufficient first step to weight loss. Use the food diary of myfitnesspal to record each and every ml of 'soda' that you consume, as well as all the other food you eat. Truthfully and accurately do so, and you will see that a 2l bottle of your full-sugar soda has more calories than your body needs in a day.

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I love flavored sparkling water. Dasani has some tasty ones and so does La Croix. Now, it does take getting used to b/c it doesn't have any sugar. And don't expect it to taste like soda, but it's good to me.
  • Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. I wasn't drinking diet but Dr. Pepper was my favorite and I could drink a case in two days. I had my last one on June 5th. I did notice a smaller belly (didn't have a scale) and it was a lot. About 2 inches.

My current drink is the Lipton diet green tea citrus. They are high in sodium but I wanted something to drink during these warmer months that wasn't just water.

I would find something to replace it with. Like said above: the carbonation expands your tummy.

Best of luck!
  • michchipp
    michchipp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would stop drinking it completely, cold turkey. Don't buy it. If it's not in the house there is no temptation. I never ever drank diet soda. I don't like aspartame etc. I do like gingerale but I have never been a high consumer of it but I do not buy it anymore so it removes the temptation. What you crave is not the pop but the sweet taste. You need to replace this with a healthy alternative. You could make a healthy smoothie with real fruit this will satisfy your sweet tooth. I have a huge sweet tooth and have found that using real fruit as an alternative works to satisfy the craving for sweets. I mainly drink just water now but sometimes when I want a sweeter taste I take real fruit juice like orange or lemonade and put about a quarter inch in the glass and fill the rest with water, hence low calorie very low sugar but a little taste. You can also buy flavour infuser cups that let you put real fruit with water to add flavour to water. I would stay clear of artificial sweeteners etc.
  • OhJazmine
    OhJazmine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know. I think if you still want diet soda it is perfectly okay as long as it isn't your main source of liquids. It will expand your stomach a bit but eating fresh vegetables, fruit and whole grains, i.e. oats, should solve the expanded stomach problems because its more food for fewer calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If it's mostly diet it's not the reason for the weight issue, and cutting it out won't make much of a difference. Back when I was struggling with motivation I'd come up with things like that -- maybe I'll stop drinking coffee! -- that weren't necessarily bad things to do (excessive caffeine isn't great) but were also not the issue and a way to postpone dealing with the real issue, which seemed harder. I kind of wonder if that's what's up here -- you haven't thought-through/figured out why you are overeating, so are hoping you will just automatically start eating lower calories (low enough to lose) if you make this other change. I suspect that won't happen.

Now, if some of the soda is not diet cutting it out WILL help with calories and it's not uncommon to think that kind of thing is less than it really is when we aren't logging or doing something else to be mindful, so cutting out non diet soda or beverages with calories to start would be a good plan. Plus, as others have said caffeine is addictive so tapering down gradually is a good idea, so that might be a good first step.

In the meantime, I'd also log or write down everything you are eating. That will help you figure out some other things you can do to get the diet under control and cut calories if you want to, which would likely help with the motivation piece (it's determination and a plan that matter, though, not motivation ultimately).
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Water. Two liters is way too much, even diet. Buddy has chronic kidney stones, his doc says it's from soda. They told him next to giving birth stones are the next most painful condition.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. I used to drink soda. Now it's a rare thing for me: the occasional ginger ale is probably the most I ever have. I've been drinking seltzer water for years. No calories, no sodium, and I still get the carbonation.