Need to lose belly fat

Options
Hi, so i've been on a strict calorie diet since september 2015 and I have lost roughly 40lbs but I'm wondering if I am under eating- O eat around 1,300 calories a day and burn 200 calories while running at the gym, I don't feel hungry but I am struggling to lose fat
If anyone can help, Id appreciate it a lot
Thanks

Replies

• mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight consistently, the fat will come off eventually. Also, the stomach area is the last to go for most people
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Keep eating in a calorie deficit and introduce some form of strength/resistance training to help retain as much muscle as possible.
  • Paddyboy09
    Paddyboy09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce. Keep eating in a calorie deficit and introduce some form of strength/resistance training to help retain as much muscle as possible.

I do Resistance training 6/7 days a week
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If your username is indicative of your sex, know that 1300 is very low calorie for a man. How are you calculating your calories what makes you think you are struggling to lose fat?
  • malibu927
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If your username is indicative of your sex, know that 1300 is very low calorie for a man. How are you calculating your calories what makes you think you are struggling to lose fat?

Especially for an 18 year old man, as his profile indicates
  • Paddyboy09
    Options

The app tells me to eat 1600 a day, so I always try to stay under it
    I think I am struggling to lose fat around my stomach area as it just doesn't seem to be getting any smaller
  • malibu927
    Options
    What are your stats? You should be aiming for 1500 minimum, if not your goal (and 1600 is still VERY low for you)
  • Paddyboy09
    Options
    so i should increase my calories?
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    You should be eating the 1600 and making sure you get adequate protein. I don't know if you are still growing but I didn't reach my full height of 5' 10" until I was 19. No reason to under eat. MFP has already factored in your deficit according to your rate of loss chosen.
  • Paddyboy09
    Options
    You should be eating the 1600 and making sure you get adequate protein. I don't know if you are still growing but I didn't reach my full height of 5' 10" until I was 19. No reason to under eat. MFP has already factored in your deficit according to your rate of loss chosen.

I am eating around 150grams of protein each day
  • jemhh
    Options
    What are your height and weight, OP?
  • Paddyboy09
    Options

I am 5ft 11 and weighing 174lbs
  • malibu927
    Options
    Paddyboy09 wrote: »

You're just into a healthy BMI. How much are you looking to lose? You shouldn't be aiming for more than a pound a week, and likely half a pound a week would be a better option. You're young, and your body needs fuel.
  • Paddyboy09
    Options

You're just into a healthy BMI. How much are you looking to lose? You shouldn't be aiming for more than a pound a week, and likely half a pound a week would be a better option. You're young, and your body needs fuel.

I want to get down to 165lbs-thats been my goal since the start
  • jemhh
    Options

If I were you I'd stop focusing on fat loss, eat at maintenance, and build some muscle. You likely have little muscle mass. You're in the golden hour of muscle building. 18 yo males pretty much have the prime hormonal profile to build muscle like crazy. Forget the belly fat.

Really good watch:

https://youtu.be/Kxhw_NvdXLc
  • Paddyboy09
    Options

If I were you I'd stop focusing on fat loss, eat at maintenance, and build some muscle. You likely have little muscle mass. You're in the golden hour of muscle building. 18 yo males pretty much have the prime hormonal profile to build muscle like crazy. Forget the belly fat.

Really good watch:

I would love to just focus on building muscle but mentally (I know it sounds stupid) I can't get over the fact I still have a significant amount of belly fat
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Really good watch:

I would love to just focus on building muscle but mentally (I know it sounds stupid) I can't get over the fact I still have a significant amount of belly fat

Having fat doesn't mean you cannot lift weights. Heck, I still have around 50lbs to lose and lift.

Definitely find your true maintenance and eat that number or maybe 100 below that. It's definitely worth it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So you are a 5'11 174 pound man eating 1300 calories a day while doing cardio and lifting 6 days a week? What?

Dude you seriously need to eat more, you are not going to sustain that and if somehow you manange to do so through all the fatigue and soreness and irritability all you are going to do is tear your muscle down from all the resistance training and your body (being in such massive calorie deficit) is going to consume that muscle rather than try to spend calories it doesn't have to repair and build it.

If you are that height that weight and that activity level as a man you are likely maintaining at like 3500 calories which would mean at 1300 calories a day you are at a MASSIVE caloric deficit. That is not healthy.

Seriously, eat more...like 1000 calories more.

I am 175 pounds (your weight), a man (your gender), 37 years old (so older and therefore needing less calorically and developmentally), I exercise less frequently than you (so I need less calories) and I am losing weight rather rapidly eating 2300 calories a day. I cannot fathom how or what possessed you to eat only 1300 calories. Seriously...why?