Can someone please explain clothes sizes to me? :D

Options
I generally fit into size 12 clothes (UK) but when I went shopping on Friday I got a playsuit in size 8 and it fits me fine. I've also noticed that my clothes that I have are starting to be a bit big on me. The thing that I don't understand is I haven't done anything to lose weight yet...

Replies

• leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    It varies a great deal from designer to designer, manufacturer to manufacturer. And even within the label's lines themselves. There is also a clothes size creep been going on for years. They are labeling clothes that used to be a 14 as a 12, a 12 as a 10, so people don't notice the weight gain or feel better about any weight loss.

That may account for most of it.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree. I'll fit into extra small in some places and large in others. Designers be crazy like that! :)
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I tried on a pair of boot-cut jeans in a US size 10 and they were a bit too big. Then I tried on a pair of straight-leg jeans in the same size by the same brand and couldn't get them over my thighs. The only thing that was supposed to be different was the fit from the knees down.

Clothes are weird.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    No. It's not possible. There is no method to the madness. Go for fit and fit only. No one sees the tags but you.

Edited to add: No one sees the tags but you...unless you leave a price tag or size sticker on them. Then you are screwed.
  • Rossa59
    Rossa59 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have everything from a size 14 to 22 in my wardrobe and all of them fit.........go figure!

M&S did the downsizing things a few years ago. I've shopped there for years and can get into their size 14 jeans. Still have a pair of their old size 14s and can't even get the zip up.

We all get hung up on how much we weigh and what size we take when we're all individuals with different body frames. Just take a look at the threads for people of the same height and see the different weight/size everyone is. I don't localise my 'fat' in the typical female area of hips and thighs. Mine is all over, I carry a lot across my back.

At 5'10", I've only ever been comfortable as a size 14. Below 11 stone (154lbs), my hip and rib bones are showing and I don't feel so good. Half a stone heavier is my 'fighting' weight, but I'm now 54 and will be happy at 12 stone, a weight I've not seen for 15 years. Only a stone to go!

Just be the best you can be whatever height, weight or size you are :-)
  • missy_girl001
    missy_girl001 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes are completely crazy sometimes. I used to work in retail and had to once put a size 10 pant on a mannequin that normally wore a size 2. I just bought a dress this weekend in a size 6 and I've been wearing a size 10/12 lately.

If I'm unsure of my size in a certain store or piece of clothes I like to take 2 sizes to try on and always start with the larger of the 2, that way if it fits, perfect, and if it's too big I get to go a size down, which is always nice for the ego!