Exercising but gaining weight

Options
So ive been exercising for about 2 months now. I was out 2 weeks Bcuz of a surgery but right back afterwards. I drink on weekends but do not smoke anymore, I'm 9 months cigarette free. I do cardio and I switch it up for example.. I do 20 min treadmill 1 min run 3 min walk and over and over. Or I do 12 incline on the treadmill at 2.7 speed which you feel the burn instantly! Then I use the bike around 10 to 15 mins on hill plus . Or the elliptical on fat burn. Then a few weight machine and free weights after. But my issue is I've GAINED 6 lbs. And I'm not happy about it. I'm loving going to the gym it's a lot of fun and I want to keep going bur how can I lose my weight?! I eat decent.. but I don't restrict myself entirely. I eat what I want but I try to not go overboard. Plz help!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by you eat decent? Are you counting calories?
  • missrabbitt1
    missrabbitt1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that I'm eating THAT much though.. it doesn't add up to me. I'm eating the same way I did before I started working out. And I was maintaining my weight quite normally. Now.. it's the opposite.
  • missrabbitt1
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Well yes & no. I do but sometimes don't. There are times I guesstimate without using my app.
  • malibu927
    Options

Well yes & no. I do but sometimes don't. There are times I guesstimate without using my app.

That's where you're going wrong. Start logging everything. If you need to, a food scale will help immensely in getting accurate portion sizes.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Have you been weighing yourself regularly and you've seen a cumulative gain of 6 lbs or did you just hop on the scale for the first time in 2 months and see the jump in the scale? If you hadn't been on the scale in a while, what you're seeing could just be a fluke.

Is it close to TOM? I easily retain 2-5 lbs of water weight every month.

But it's either water or you're eating more than you think. Maybe try logging everything you eat for a couple of weeks honestly just to see where you're at?
  • missrabbitt1
    Options
    bethannien wrote: »
    Have you been weighing yourself regularly and you've seen a cumulative gain of 6 lbs or did you just hop on the scale for the first time in 2 months and see the jump in the scale? If you hadn't been on the scale in a while, what you're seeing could just be a fluke.

But it's either water or you're eating more than you think. Maybe try logging everything you eat for a couple of weeks honestly just to see where you're at?

I admit it's been about the first time I've been on the sCale since. And I just was hoping for a smaller number than what I started out with. What is TOM?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You could exercise 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. But if you're eating above your TDEE you will gain weight. Losing weight is 80-90% diet/10% exercise, some people will say it's 100% diet.
  • missrabbitt1
    Options

That's where you're going wrong. Start logging everything. If you need to, a food scale will help immensely in getting accurate portion sizes.

I know portion sizes of everything.. this is where I'm confused. I do not eat a lot of junk or I never eat burgers etc. I cook everyday at home and eat lots of produce. It's weird.
  • missrabbitt1
    Options
    You could exercise 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. But if you're eating above your TDEE you will gain weight. Losing weight is 80-90% diet/10% exercise, some people will say it's 100% diet.

Literally my diet consists of home cooked meals I make. My meats, all kinds of produce , but I never eat out. Or if I do I choose something healthier if I can. BUT no mcdonalds and stuff in my diet.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that I'm eating THAT much though.. it doesn't add up to me. I'm eating the same way I did before I started working out. And I was maintaining my weight quite normally. Now.. it's the opposite.

Okay. What do you think is causing it, then?
  • missrabbitt1
    Options

Okay. What do you think is causing it, then?

That's what I'm trying to figure out.. I want to rule out some things. But I don't see how my food consumption could be it. I either eat salmon or chicken breast for dinner with a salad or broccoli or asparagus etc. Lunch is a salad and breakfast is one egg & half a bagel or toast. I went backwards here but this is typically what I eat everyday. Excluding snacks.
  • missrabbitt1
    Options
    If I want a piece of chocolate, I eat a piece of chocolate. I don't starve myself entirely but I don't binge either.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I admit it's been about the first time I've been on the sCale since. And I just was hoping for a smaller number than what I started out with. What is TOM?

TOM....time of month, ie your cycle.

Weighing once is not really tracking your weight. Weight can fluctuate a lot.
  • missrabbitt1
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

TOM....time of month, ie your cycle.

Weighing once is not really tracking your weight. Weight can fluctuate a lot.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. But no TOM here .. so I can also rule this out as well.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,099 Member
    Options
    Weight management is determined by calorie intake. If you're gaining weight, then you're taking in more calories than your body uses in a day. If you want to stop the gain then you need to eat less in some way, shape, or form.

This. You need to log everything you eat and drink and do so accurately.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,099 Member
    Options

There is your problem. When people increase exercise often two things happen 1) They eat a little more 2) They do less the rest of the day. What that does in counteract the extra calories you burned exercising leaving you at maintenance or even in a surplus. That is consistent tracking and no "guesstimating" is needed.
  • malibu927
    Options

I know portion sizes of everything.. this is where I'm confused. I do not eat a lot of junk or I never eat burgers etc. I cook everyday at home and eat lots of produce. It's weird.

It's possible your guesstimating of sizes has gotten off. Even eating whole foods you can gain weight if you aren't careful.