Advice for gaining weight. 6'9" 175.

Options
I have always been skinny but very athletic. Im aiming for 3500 cal. a day. 40% carb 40% protein 20% fat.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    If 3500 is a surplus you will gain. I would suggest adding in a structured lifting program.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    If 3500 is a surplus you will gain. I would suggest adding in a structured lifting program.

This. Follow a structured lifting program and if you aren't gaining on 3500 you aren't eating enough, so eat more.
  • RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above. I'm assuming you're wanting to gain muscle. To do that, you'll need to lift weights, or you'll just get fat.

One thing to note, a mistake that I made, don't try to gain weight too fast. You can only gain about .5-1 pound of muscle per week, depending on your level of training. It will slow down even further as you get more advanced.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a good program for getting some starting strength.

Here's a great video series on setting up your nutrition to gain at a good rate, so you maximize your muscle gains, but don't put on a ton of fat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    6'9 175 lbs!?! Dang you got some height! Lol. Start eating eating eating and liftoff lifting lifting!!(:
  • ThatTJS
    ThatTJS Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Muscle on someone 6'9 could make you an absolute mountain! Fair play!!

Do what the first two people said. Eat, lift and recover.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I don't think 3500 is a surplus at your stats
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Go to scoobys calculator and put your info in
  • brizzlar
    brizzlar Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2 and 180lbs - used to be closer to 160lbs I think. What's worked for me is eating around 3500 calories a day (sometimes up to 4000). I also use a blended protein/ground oat protein powder (Muscle Food 101 - Bulk Nutrients) and train using a variety of methods. The key is variety - my mate who's a gym trainer says that people get stuck in routines and they end up just maintaining what they have. Mix it up, add one extra rep per set, or a couple extra pounds on the last set... try doing more than 3 sets or pyramids... the more variety the better man.
  • brizzlar
    brizzlar Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    (having a leaner build, you might find the liquid foods which include carbohydrates helpful to boost your calorie intake = my experience).
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Cannot imagine how much I'd have to eat if I was 9in taller! I aim for 6,000/day. Yes yolo Powerlifting bulk / recomp. Maintain on 4000.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Look at drinking some of your calories. Look into protein shakes with a high caloric range. Your protein will helped as well since a lot of protein shakes can cover about 60g of carbs for 3 scoops.

• BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was 6'2" 175 lbs when I stared lifting. In a year I was 200. The key for me was to get the whole lean idea out of my head that held me back. Can't worry about some fat there's ways to get that off later. I drank alot of weight gainers in the beginning to boost calories. At your height and weight your pretty lean so your have room. In the fifteen years I been on and off my heaviest was 254 lbs. Eat big lift big and slow down ;)
  • ikraz55
    ikraz55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    40% calories from protein sounds pretty high. Most guides I've read suggest that even if you are trying to gain lean muscle, your body can't incorporate more than roughly 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, and that carbs are better for gaining weight. I think aiming for 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein would be a better goal.