(another) great calorie & carbohydrate discussion...

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Agreed. That sounds more like a sedentary TDEE for his size. Did the OP say how much they weigh?

Either way, eat more OP.

As for carbs... I think most people agree that calories are #1. Those have to be in check first. After that, macro balance become very personal and are largely influenced by satiety, energy, training plans, and preference. I'm very active and eat 3-400 grams of carbs every day. With some of them being yummy, refined goodness.

When it comes down to it, assuming a reasonable macro breakdown, calories and training will be 98% of the equation on what happens to your weight and body composition.

• alexpn
    alexpn Posts: 59 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've used an online TDEE calculator that was recommended via another site that I use.
  • alexpn
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Agreed. That sounds more like a sedentary TDEE for his size. Did the OP say how much they weigh?

Either way, eat more OP.

As for carbs... I think most people agree that calories are #1. Those have to be in check first. After that, macro balance become very personal and are largely influenced by satiety, energy, training plans, and preference. I'm very active and eat 3-400 grams of carbs every day. With some of them being yummy, refined goodness.

When it comes down to it, assuming a reasonable macro breakdown, calories and training will be 98% of the equation on what happens to your weight and body composition.

Currently 119kg (was 147.6kg back in March this year)
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I'm coming up with a much higher TDEE if you exercise 1-3 times per week.

tpi86cs54ucx.png
  • alexpn
    Options
    I seem to get different stats for every calculator site I use. Some factor in day to day activity levels on top of exercise... I have a sedentary job. I should say I'm also 41 years old which I think would send the figures down?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    alexpn wrote: »
    I've used an online TDEE calculator that was recommended via another site that I use.

Suggest you try a few others then - I just quickly dialled in:
    6'8, 119kg, age 25 (guess) and sedentary (little or no exercise) and got 2800 as your TDEE.
    Moderate exercise (3-5 sessions a week) came up to 3600.
  • alexpn
    Options
    I wish I was 25! 41... :smiley:
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Well you look younger in your avatar fwiw :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What do we all think about carbs? Do we restrict ourselves to certain grams a day, do you have an upper limit?

I don't currently have an upper limit, but I do have a minimum protein amount and max calorie amount (I don't have any set numbers I bother with for fat, as I get plenty without trying, but I do focus on including certain sources of fat in my diet. I'm more interested in choices within the macros currently, than how much of each macro I get (again, beyond a certain level of protein).
    Does anyone think the low-carb is the way to go overall, or not?

It's a good way to go for some people, typically those who struggle with hunger or cravings or who tend to gravitate to higher cal/lower nutrient carbs primarily (although many of these are really as much fat as carbs). If you think you are hitting your calorie numbers without problem (and I agree with others on the TDEE conversation, so am not addressing that), carb percentage is not the issue, although it works for some simply because it's easier for them than counting calories and they end up with a deficit just by making that change.

In the short term adding carbs will add water weight and going low carb will drop water weight. This is why people who do low carb to lose but with the plan to not continue low carb at maintenance are advised to cut a bit lower than their goal and then add carbs back in somewhat gradually.
  • alexpn
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Well you look younger in your avatar fwiw :)

Nice! I'll take those comments all day long... It's a very well taken photo ;-)

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I wish I was 25! 41... :smiley:

I wish I was 41 ! :(

(56 and growing old disgracefully....)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Suggest you try a few others then - I just quickly dialled in:
    6'8, 119kg, age 25 (guess) and sedentary (little or no exercise) and got 2800 as your TDEE.
    Moderate exercise (3-5 sessions a week) came up to 3600.

This is what I have suspected from the beginning...

Doesn't explain his stall of weight loss but I think getting an appropriate calorie target for stats, activity and goal is important. Once that's right, focus on logging accuracy and macro split.

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be any debate, just do want works for you.

Low carb high fat works for some, others find calorie counting works best for them, some others use other methods.

How far well under 2000cals are you eating? Are you measuring everything that passes your lips?

I'm trying to currently stay around 1500-1700 calories a day, and yes, obviously recording my food on here... but even though I am gradually reducing these figures over time, my weight is resisting change.

Hmm...I'm only 5'2, and I eat between 1600-1900 a day...and I'm still dropping just under a pound a week! You must be starving!
  • alexpn
    Options

Low carb high fat works for some, others find calorie counting works best for them, some others use other methods.

How far well under 2000cals are you eating? Are you measuring everything that passes your lips?

I'm trying to currently stay around 1500-1700 calories a day, and yes, obviously recording my food on here... but even though I am gradually reducing these figures over time, my weight is resisting change.

Hmm...I'm only 5'2, and I eat between 1600-1900 a day...and I'm still dropping just under a pound a week! You must be starving!

You know what, I'm really not. For me, warning signs are usually lightheadedness when I stand up a bit too quickly, but that happens very rarely. By and large I have enough energy for my workouts (eg I did Spin this morning for an hour at high intensity) and feel I eat enough throughout the day.
  • alexpn
    Options
    Just to explain again, the only reason I have dropped my calories so low is because of the weight stall over the last 3 weeks, if I thought I could get away with it, I'd probably not stop eating all day. For me, I could easily put away 1,000 calories for breakfast alone.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I seem to get different stats for every calculator site I use. Some factor in day to day activity levels on top of exercise... I have a sedentary job. I should say I'm also 41 years old which I think would send the figures down?

I'm two inches shorter than you, 30-35 pounds lighter and 12 years older, and I'm losing about a pound a week (on average) eating 2300-2400 calories/day. I lift weights 3x/week and run/bike 2-3 times/week, so activity levels are probably somewhat similar.

If you like eating low-carb and it works for you, there's nothing wrong with it. Otherwise, there's nothing magical about restricting carbs in your diet. I have my macros set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat and have no problem losing weight. Set your macros wherever you find it easiest to feel satisfied and however is best for your training performance, there's nothing magical about any particular macronutrient ratio.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I like carbs. They help keep me sane. If low carb works for you, good on you. You might want to incorporate more low-carb fruits & veggies if you want a better carb:volume ratio, things like lettuce, cucumbers, berries, watermelon, avocado, peaches, etc. Not sure if you eat those.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Getting light headed when you stand is postural hypotension. Blood pressure drops when you stand up, whereas in most people it is the reverse. Consuming more salt can help. Avoiding low blood sugar will help avoid symptoms too. You can do that by eating lower carb, and eating fat and protein with the carbs you do eat.

I would go for a macro change over such a large deficit, but I am coming from a ketogenic bias. Some people, mainly those with insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome of some sort, may lose weight a bit faster on a ketogenic diet, or simply a low carb diet. I personally found that I lost weight at an unexpectedly fast rate when I went very low carb, losing 2-3 lbs per week (after the initial larger water loss) at about 1500kcal/day. Conversely, I gain weight easier than I'd like when my carbs are increased.

I'd say go for a macro switch. You probably shouldn't lower calories as far as you have, as such a big active guy, and if you are working out strenuously already, you won't be able to increase that by much. All that is left is a macro change... beyond sleeping more and reducing stress, and just waiting it out.

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

im 5'2 and even with 10k steps a day and working out losing .5 a week my hr monitored fitbit only allows me 14-16 if im lucky :(:(:(
  • alexpn
    Options
    These are great responses, I appreciate them guys. I'm constantly researching what works for me best, but it seems from what I'm reading, that everyone has something slightly bespoke that works for them.... I think I will up my calories a little, and keep tabs on the macros.