paleo diet

Options

Replies

• 75poundstogo
    75poundstogo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    7. My biggest lesson- I don't have to be fanatical. I spent a lot of time and money the first time buying ingredients to make ketchup and homemade mayo. While maybe not awesome for you, store bought mayo will not kill me. Unless someone calls the paleo policeAlso, that just tends to make things tastier, which can lead to me overeating (there's a real pattern here)

Good luck! @kazzykazz If you try it let us know how it goes

Re: #7
    I think this is good advice but it is advice to veer from the Paleo Diet rules, which are pretty fanatical and strict.

For me, I did paleo on and off for about 3 years. I definitely saw some great results (periodic weight loss, energy boost, better digestion) but couldn't keep it up. For me, it wasn't just willpower to stay on the diet that was hard, it was psychologically punishing/oppressive/isolating.

I think its very difficult for humans to completely rule out a food group - unless for medical reasons (recommended by the doctor or a legit harmful addiction). Not only will you start to obsess about the food you cannot absolutely EVER eat...its also psychologically damaging because you often have to turn away meals from friends/family, holiday meals, going out.

When you are eating in moderation and portions you can at least partake (if you want to). If you want to follow paleo 100%, the off limit food are 100% a no go.

Some Paleo people even preach that even the slightest cheat (a drop of milk, or slice of bread) will ruin your results and ruin your gut health...The strict paleo community will say the 80% / 20% rule is **kitten**

Do I think Paleo is bad - absolutely not. Did it work for me? I can say after 3 years of trying, many books bought, many attempts to live the lifestyle - no, it did not work for me.
  • 75poundstogo
    75poundstogo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    ^^^ to add: for me Paleo turned into this never ending cycle of strict adherence ("yeah girl I'll do that 30 day paleo challenge!"), and failure. I wasn't satisfied and became straight up board eating vegetables, fat, some carb, and protein. Bordem and extreme willpower = failure.

I went from 185-215 in 2 years time frame yo yo paleo-ing.

I only know a handful of dozens of friends that have made it a lifestyle. I used to crossfit which promotes paleo hardcore. I only know a handful of the many many many (maybe 100's) of folks who tried paleo challenges that actually stuck with it.
  • sweetjend78
    sweetjend78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My husband I did whole30 and then transitioned into paleo for a while. it was really hard to maintain with a family (for me). I did not want to eat different meals than my kids; and paleo lunches weren't being eaten from their lunch boxes.
    I try to stick to vegetable heavy meals with some lean meats and something carb-o-licious
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I would also say that paleo in no way leads to default weight loss...I know a couple who have been strict adherents to paleo for more than three years and have gained a little weight largely because they are of the mentality that since it's paleo approved food and they are not eating wheat/gluten they can eat however much they want...they are avid runners as well...I would have thought they'd figure it out by now.
  • Coachjr29
    Coachjr29 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How long did cavemen live? Is that the example to follow?
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    In general cavemen were stronger, taller, more muscular and better built with less tooth decay than modern man- and had larger brains (our brains are shrinking btw). Some genetic evidence points to less mental illness too. The average lifespan was shorter due to factors such as no antibiotics, no modern health care etc. and higher rates of infant mortality bring the average down.

I think the case can be made for learning lessons from paleo-nutrition.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    7. My biggest lesson- I don't have to be fanatical. I spent a lot of time and money the first time buying ingredients to make ketchup and homemade mayo. While maybe not awesome for you, store bought mayo will not kill me. Unless someone calls the paleo policeAlso, that just tends to make things tastier, which can lead to me overeating (there's a real pattern here)

I think this is good advice but it is advice to veer from the Paleo Diet rules, which are pretty fanatical and strict.

For me, I did paleo on and off for about 3 years. I definitely saw some great results (periodic weight loss, energy boost, better digestion) but couldn't keep it up. For me, it wasn't just willpower to stay on the diet that was hard, it was psychologically punishing/oppressive/isolating.

I think its very difficult for humans to completely rule out a food group - unless for medical reasons (recommended by the doctor or a legit harmful addiction). Not only will you start to obsess about the food you cannot absolutely EVER eat...its also psychologically damaging because you often have to turn away meals from friends/family, holiday meals, going out.

When you are eating in moderation and portions you can at least partake (if you want to). If you want to follow paleo 100%, the off limit food are 100% a no go.

Some Paleo people even preach that even the slightest cheat (a drop of milk, or slice of bread) will ruin your results and ruin your gut health...The strict paleo community will say the 80% / 20% rule is **kitten**

Do I think Paleo is bad - absolutely not. Did it work for me? I can say after 3 years of trying, many books bought, many attempts to live the lifestyle - no, it did not work for me.

It doesn't matter much to me what strangers eat, but I do think the Paleo Diet is bad. I think any person, diet, book, blog, etc. that preaches that legumes are unhealthy is bad. There is zero science to back it up.

But that's just my opinion. Everyone should feel free to eat what they want.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter much to me what strangers eat, but I do think the Paleo Diet is bad. I think any person, diet, book, blog, etc. that preaches that legumes are unhealthy is bad. There is zero science to back it up.

Yea, I tend to agree. I don't know that I would say "bad" as I do think that a healthy diet can be obtained without legumes. I think "Pointless" would the word I would use to describe it. It just makes hitting macros and micros a bit harder without any real reason.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Yea, I tend to agree. I don't know that I would say "bad" as I do think that a healthy diet can be obtained without legumes. I think "Pointless" would the word I would use to describe it. It just makes hitting macros and micros a bit harder without any real reason.

I think a healthy diet can be obtained without legumes too. But I still think it's reckless, inappropriate, unhelpful, and just plain wrong to say legumes are unhealthy. Therefore, it gets a bad label from me. Bad, bad, bad, baddity, bad! I fart in it's general direction!
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    In general cavemen were stronger, taller, more muscular and better built with less tooth decay than modern man- and had larger brains (our brains are shrinking btw). Some genetic evidence points to less mental illness too. The average lifespan was shorter due to factors such as no antibiotics, no modern health care etc. and higher rates of infant mortality bring the average down.

Taller? References please.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This is how I see it. I think it can provide a structure that is helpful for some, but there are much better structures to choose, IMO (ones that include legumes).
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I was taught at uni that they were taller, but only because farming hadn't been invented yet! Once we became farmers it was more of an advantage to be close to the ground for easier bending, so we got smaller. How is being tall a good thing or a bad thing, anyway? It has advantages and disadvantages.
    They were only stronger because of the work they had to do, not their diet. Your average weightlifter today is probably far stronger than a caveman. They had less tooth decay because they didn't have much sugar in their diet - Limited fruit. I eat a lot of sugar, but have perfect teeth because I look after them. Also, a large brain means absolutely nothing. A whale has a huge brain compared to a human, but we're far more intelligent (or at the very least, AS intelligent). It's all about how many connections the brain has. Our brains are shrinking because they are becoming more efficient. Nothing to do with our diets.
    I'm not saying paleo can't be healthy. I'm saying cavemen were not healthier than us, and I'm saying that non-paleo certainly is not unhealthy. Comparing us to our ancestors at all is just a bit silly. Eat paleo if you want. Don't if you don't want. Find a way of eating that works for you, OP!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have done paleo but I found that I really missed some full fat dairy (cheese), although I do find I lose better without it. I now consider myself primal. I eat a low carb version of it.

If you look into that for first nations and native Americans, there are many accounts of their unusual height (to European standards). They've since ...shrunk.

I think I've seen than man was taller before the agricultural revolution too but I can't remember the source for that.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, can't find much myself, except that average male Neanderthal was 5'6".
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I have done paleo but I found that I really missed some full fat dairy (cheese), although I do find I lose better without it. I now consider myself primal. I eat a low carb version of it.

If you look into that for first nations and native Americans, there are many accounts of their unusual height (to European standards). They've since ...shrunk.

I think I've seen than man was taller before the agricultural revolution too but I can't remember the source for that.

It's true. I do remember seeing something about that. They weren't much taller than the current average though. Apparently humans started to shrink mid paleolithic, reaching the shortest around neolithic then growing back, shrinking back, then growing again in the last century.

I'm not sure how accurate these findings would be, though, given than the sample size of human fossils is kind of limited. If some thousands of years in the future scientists find fossils of current humans and these samples happen to be mostly from Asian countries, they would estimate the average height of a male to be around 160 cm or something, but if they happen to be mostly from Scandinavian countries, they'd estimate the average to be around 180 cm or more (higher than the current estimate for a paleolithic human male which is around the average of an American male).

Edit: found it.
    c13viv6hgwb9.png

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Lol...do you actually think the paleo diet really resembles the actual diet of the paleolithic time? That's hilarious...
  • Branwynn
    Branwynn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As to the original q, I'll tell you what works for me in the hope it helps. I suppose different results are always achieved based on one's normal weight and/or weight struggle, age & sex, health condition, activity level & normal diet.

For me there are 2 diets.

A weight loss diet, which I've only needed once after an unexpectedly long recovery time following foot surgery, in which I ate whatever anyone brought me (pizza & fried chicken) or what I was capable of making myself (lots of peanut butter toast). I had 20-lbs to lose once recovered & lost it all in 10-wks on the Dukan Diet, an Atkins-ish/paleo-ish diet, with no exercise cuz I was still fairly immobile with foot pain. Basically, unlimited protein & non-starchy vegs... no carbs or fruit or processed food, no alcohol. I would not want to live on that weight loss portion of the DD forever & the nice part is it transitions into a sustainable lifestyle, adding fruit, carbs & dessert each day with 1 strict protein-only day/wk.

(Note: I'm having to do it again now after another long surgery recovery & the only modification I'll make it adding in 1 piece of fruit/day & taking vitamins, since I was rundown after 10-wks of no fruit... the bulk of my usual diet).

After weight loss, I think where most have the problem is they return to pre-diet eating, meaning, whatever made them gain weight in the first place is now the bulk of their diet again.

The 2nd diet is what one can enjoy long term & for me, that's coincidentally the final Dukan Diet stage... protein, a lot of fruit, any veggie & healthy carbs (for me, potatoes & bread... I can live without rice, pasta & cereal-ish foods & always have). You're allowed to eat anything, but I find it easy to remain stricter as I'm a fresh-only, fairly simple eater... I don't need fatty dressings & treats & giant plates of rice dishes with 50 ingredients & gooey stuff. I can live with a nice cut of steak, a couple servings of mashed potatoes & a big salad for many dinners & feel satisfied.

I know you asked about paleo & wasn't sure if you were beginning for weight loss purposes, but I consider those restrictive, high protein diets to be fairly similar with small differences. Remaining on them & being very strict is easy for a few months to lose weight... after that, opening up the menu to enjoy a large variety of fresh produce for me, is the key to sustaining weight & health.

So, yes, I find them easy to follow & of them all, I just find DD to be easier & more straight forward. Good luck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I think a healthy diet can be obtained without legumes too. But I still think it's reckless, inappropriate, unhelpful, and just plain wrong to say legumes are unhealthy. Therefore, it gets a bad label from me. Bad, bad, bad, baddity, bad! I fart in it's general direction!

Paleo definitely lost credibility with me with the "legumes are bad" stance.

Any Paleo fans have links to the rationale behind this?
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think that legumes are not included in the paleo because "cavemen" did not cook beans, maybe??? Not because they are bad. Please don't ask for references; I am just making a possible supposition. There is some "good" in every diet that includes "real" foods.