Trying a new lunch.. anyone else had this for a meal?

Options
So I bought some vanilla Oikos greek yogurt (the nonfat kind) and I can't really do vanilla yogurt on it's on so I purchased some Special K lowfat granola with honey. I'm thinking of trying this as a lunch (1 container of Oikos, 1/2 cup granola, 1 banana). Has anyone done anything similar for a meal? It's 20g of protein, so it will be filling!

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd rather get a lot more food for the 500 calories or so that'll be (give or take, depending on your granola). It's also about 50 grams of sugar (with only some natural and a lot from the granola and the added sugar in the yogurt), so while you're getting 20g of protein, you'd also be getting 80+g of carbs. Which means that you're more likely to not be satiated for an extended time if you're not someone that thrives on carbs.

Also, most granolas have oils added to them, so your breakdown will be around 60% carbs, 25% fat, and 15% protein. Which doesn't sound like what you were aiming for since you specifically mentioned the protein amount.

So, I have not had it as a meal, and I likely would not, unless I was fueling up for a long run or race day.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt, and have it at least once a day. I'm not a fan of granola though, mostly because there's enough sugar/carbs in it, that if I'm going to eat that much sugar, I'd rather it be some sort of candy.

Are you not a fan of the taste of yogurt, or the texture?
    If it's the taste, you could try adding peanut or almond butter, or cinnamon/pumpkin pie spice, or what I've done before, is add a little powder from any sort of drink mix. I've thrown in about 2 teaspoons of powder from (low/no sugar for all) apple cider mixes, lemonade packets, hot chocolates, crystal light mixes, whatever into plain yogurt to make it flavored.

If it's the texture, you might try adding freeze dried fruit (it has crunchiness like granola, but nowhere near as much sugar, and it's fruit!), or fresh fruit like grapes or apples that have a very crisp texture.

My mom hates yogurt for the most part, but actually likes a cup of plain yogurt mixed with 1 tablespoon of almond butter, 1/4 cup (or quarter ounce) of freeze dried strawberries and a half ounce of mini chocolate chips.

I also like mixing a nut butter with yogurt to make a dip or spread for fruit and flatbread sandwiches. Or getting plain greek yogurt and mixing it with hummus or oatmeal or salsa or ranch seasoning to bulk up the protein I'm eating.

Overall it does sound like a good lunch, I'm just not a granola person, and would sub in other things.
  • JTutz
    JTutz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Instead of granola, how about a serving of 80Cal Fiber One cereal & instead of a banana, maybe an apple or pear? Probably a little less sugar/calories & way more fiber (so more filling). PS: a word of advice: do not go over the recommended daily "dose" of Fiber One. It does not play out very attractively. IfyaknowwhatImean.
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    I love greek yogurt, and have it at least once a day. I'm not a fan of granola though, mostly because there's enough sugar/carbs in it, that if I'm going to eat that much sugar, I'd rather it be some sort of candy.

Are you not a fan of the taste of yogurt, or the texture?
    If it's the taste, you could try adding peanut or almond butter, or cinnamon/pumpkin pie spice, or what I've done before, is add a little powder from any sort of drink mix. I've thrown in about 2 teaspoons of powder from (low/no sugar for all) apple cider mixes, lemonade packets, hot chocolates, crystal light mixes, whatever into plain yogurt to make it flavored.

If it's the texture, you might try adding freeze dried fruit (it has crunchiness like granola, but nowhere near as much sugar, and it's fruit!), or fresh fruit like grapes or apples that have a very crisp texture.

My mom hates yogurt for the most part, but actually likes a cup of plain yogurt mixed with 1 tablespoon of almond butter, 1/4 cup (or quarter ounce) of freeze dried strawberries and a half ounce of mini chocolate chips.

I also like mixing a nut butter with yogurt to make a dip or spread for fruit and flatbread sandwiches. Or getting plain greek yogurt and mixing it with hummus or oatmeal or salsa or ranch seasoning to bulk up the protein I'm eating.

Overall it does sound like a good lunch, I'm just not a granola person, and would sub in other things.

I love yogurt. I prefer Greek over regular because of the nutritional benefits and because it's more filling. I don't mind the taste/texture if it's a flavor I like but I do prefer to bulk up my yogurt with something crunchy. I've also considered adding a low carb cereal instead of granola.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious! I love granola but I usually make my own. Yes, it's high in calories, but as long as you measure it out properly, it shouldn't be a problem.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    Instead of granola, how about a serving of 80Cal Fiber One cereal & instead of a banana, maybe an apple or pear? Probably a little less sugar/calories & way more fiber (so more filling). PS: a word of advice: do not go over the recommended daily "dose" of Fiber One. It does not play out very attractively. IfyaknowwhatImean.

Unfortunatly, I suffer from OAS (Oral Allergy Syndrome) and am unable to eat fresh tree fruits due to them making my mouth and throat super itchy.. so I'm limited on my fruits. I typically buy the Blueberry Oikos, but need to switch it up. And what is the daily dose of Fiber One? Because I've been eating their brownies!!!!!!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, berries and a few nuts would be a healthier choice with a lot less sugar. Granola is not a good choice for weight loss unless you only use 1-2 T.
  • JTutz
    Options
    By daily dose I meant recommend serving size. For the 80cal cereal it's 3/4 of a cup. When I first tried it, it was so good and since it's only 80cal, I had more than I should've in one sitting. Did I mention that Fiber One has a lot of fiber. Like, A LOT. I'm just saying...
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    For breakfast today I had half a banana cut up, 2 oz cut up strawberries, 1 oz blueberries, 2 oz diced peaches with a half cup of Fage yogurt and 2 Tbsp of bulk granola.

255 calories
    4 g fat
    47 carbs
    15 protein

I'm still full and I've walked, done yard work, and washed and detailed my car. It was a huge bowl and quite delicious.
  • JTutz
    Options
    Greek yogurt, berries and a few nuts would be a healthier choice with a lot less sugar. Granola is not a good choice for weight loss unless you only use 1-2 T.

Berries are an excellent idea.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    By daily dose I meant recommend serving size. For the 80cal cereal it's 3/4 of a cup. When I first tried it, it was so good and since it's only 80cal, I had more than I should've in one sitting. Did I mention that Fiber One has a lot of fiber. Like, A LOT. I'm just saying...

Haha, I used to have the Fiber One mocha bars and boy did my belly twist and turn for a few hours after. I've been having the brownies/small bars lately and those only have 5g of fiber per bar and it's much easier on my belly, since I get fiber from other meals throughout the day as well
  • JTutz
    Options
    I hear ya!
  • sdionnemoore
    sdionnemoore Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with cocoa roasted almonds, crushed, (100 calorie packs) is delicious!
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    i do this for a dessert sometimes:
    fage vanilla yogurt 6 oz
    chunky peanut butter 1T
    honey 1/2 T
    mini chocolate chips - 6 of them
    vanilla extract - dash

tastes so good......almost like cake batter
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Can't normally stand yogurt in any form other than Indian food, but the vanilla, key lime, apple cinnamon, and other dessert varieties are fantastic after an hour or so in the freezer. The others might, too, but I'm not that ambitious and there isn't enough fruit in there to justify a "serving".

Instead of granola, oats work perfectly well. Not as crunchy, but no sugar and all the whole grain.

No idea what is wrong with bananas. They might have more fructose, but they also have a face full of potassium which is spectacular for not getting crippling muscle cramps after a workout.

Final thought: that sounds like a great breakfast.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a high-fiber diet takes some getting used to. The only granola bars in my house are either Fiber One or Fiber Plus, and my husband and I scarf them. A little too much sugar, but wtfever. They fill, especially the ones with protein.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    Can't normally stand yogurt in any form other than Indian food, but the vanilla, key lime, apple cinnamon, and other dessert varieties are fantastic after an hour or so in the freezer. The others might, too, but I'm not that ambitious and there isn't enough fruit in there to justify a "serving".

Instead of granola, oats work perfectly well. Not as crunchy, but no sugar and all the whole grain.

No idea what is wrong with bananas. They might have more fructose, but they also have a face full of potassium which is spectacular for not getting crippling muscle cramps after a workout.

Final thought: that sounds like a great breakfast.

I hate that bananas have so much sugar, but it's all natural so I don't beat myself up over it. Oats sound so great!!! I will definitely try that! The granola I will be using is 9g of sugar, which isn't horrible, but it's pretty high in carbs.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    That sounds really unsatisfying to me. Not much food for a big caloric, sugar filled bang. Plus I don't do sweet meals. I'm a lover of all things savory.

But - if you're the complete opposite of me, it would probably be great!

I tried mixing sugar-free chocolate pudding into Greek yogurt once. Someone told me it tasted like ice cream. What they failed to mention was that instant pudding was a poor choice that would turn the yogurt into a paste.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    It sounds delish...I have that for a snack now and then. Keep in mind though...granola is pretty high in calories. I tend to use it more as a garnish...especially the gingersnap granola I can get at our natural foods grocery. great on yogurt and banana slices.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with cocoa roasted almonds, crushed, (100 calorie packs) is delicious!

I LOVE those cocoa roasted almonds. Sams Club sells them in a half gallon jar size. I could eat the whole thing in just a couple of days, though, so I keep walking. The 100 calorie packs are a blessing!